Help! Oil

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
My neighbor drives a 93 grand marquis with the mod motor. I was talking to him about how shitty his mileage is and asked if he's checked his air filter lately and when was plugs and wires done. The usual. So when i was there he checks the air filter and part of it is saturated in motor oil. I've never seen sometrhing like it so i guess i'd try here. What do you guys think it could be? is hurting anything? I checked the vent tude that goes from the driver side valve cover to the intake and its oil free.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Some times that is actually a failed PCV valve, cause the crank case pressure backs up through the tube that feeds filtered air to the Crankcase, and the oil builds up and runs down the intake plumbing to the air filter, My buddy had an explorer that did the same thing with the oil, and I can't remember if the PCV valve was his problem too

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
its just blowby, as the engine ages at certain points the PCV system cant handle the amount of blowby gasses and the extra volume flows out the breather tube and coats the airfilter.

if he really wants to gain back his mpg chip out the ceramic crap in the ends of the tamper proof torx screws that hold the maf in and pull it out and clean the wires gingerly with Q tips (with majority of the fluff pulled off) and rubbing alcohol

esp since the filters saturated with oil.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. It's a 93 Grand Marquis. Let her go til the wheels fall off. Fuel efficiency and Grand Marquis do not go hand in hand.

Tell me about it. I get about 15mpg in mine. But it was free, and it would be a waste to trade it in. Though I should check plugs/wires/air-filter...don't know when the last time that stuff was changed.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
im just amazed that the PCV tube didnt get cracked off by somebody yet... those tubes simply press through the box and are secured with a metal clip from the inside... the plastic on those tubes particularly at the connection tends to rot from the engine heat and such... they become brittle as hell and if you try and change the air filter, that alone is sometimes enough to snap it clean off... but yea, oil there is no big deal... id say the car being 17 years old has alot more to do with the shitty fuel economy than anything

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info