Police:When did YOU catch a break?

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
Last weekend I left my guys subdivision and passed by an Antioch PD Crown Vic on a residential street going, well, too fast.
With no Front plate
Illegally tinted windows.
Blacked out clear headlights.
And a loud and proud Dual-Dual exhaust.

Yeah, I thought I was in for a baaadd day , but the cop let me off with a warning-he didnt even ask for proof of insurance, just ran my license for warrants and let me go.

All I did was pull over quick, turn the car off, and lowered all 4 windows since they're all tinted.

When was the last time you guys caught a break with Jonny Law like that?
Or conversely, when did you NOT and where, so I can drive around those places lol....

A cook county sheriff gave me a nice break back in November. Pulled me over for tinted windows and just asked for a license and came back with a warning and said to pull them off. Pffff yeah right.

A judge also gave me a break from a ticket when I went to court when I was 16. I was making an illegal u turn and some 89 year old guy smashed into me so I got a ticket for that. He just gave me a speech saying to be more careful and since it was my first ticket he threw it out.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
in high school, I was pulled over in the neighborhood around my school as i was going 13 over b/c i was running late. I got a warning.

exactly 2 weeks later, same spot, same officer, same time of day, same 13 over, i was pulled over and he remembered me... but he thought it was funny that i had to slam the top of my passenger dash to have it slowly open up below. so i did that and he goes, I remember that too! lol so he said, you won't get this from any other police fficer, but here's your second warning...

I said thanks and now always drive slow in that neighborhood...

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
I have gotten a few breaks over the years.

With tinted windows if you turn on the interior lights and/or roll all the windows down, the officer feels safer because he can see inside the car. (even works with regular windows at night if you turn on the interior lights.) Look at it from the officer's point of view, They are walking up to a vehicle where they have no clue what is behind the tint. With the windows down and/or lights on they can see if they need to take extra precautions or not. So for them it shows you were thinking of him/her and they will tend to treat you better.

The best thing to do is to treat them with respect. They are just doing their job. Many times they will give you a break if you treat them with respect.

Last edited:

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
^^ I think panda brought up this point awhile ago but im still confused as to how you can have limo tint in the back windows/rear and not be able to see a damn thing, yet somehow having no tint in the front makes it that much safer?? until the cop gets to your window he cant tell who/whats there anyways.... i guess i'll never understand

fwiw, got off for the first time with warnings (all other pull overs for speeding and I was 2/2, third time was cause the cop made a mistake)
at the NIU toll plaza when getting off 88 on glidden

no front plate
50% front tint
rear plastic clear plate cover

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I have gotten off a few times, but I had another episode on Sunday.

I got pulled over for "running" a yellow light. The guy behind me ran the light when it was red. A Lake County sherriff pulled us both over. Talked to the guy behind me for a couple minutes then let him go. He pulled up to me, and I recognized him. We both worked together a few years ago. So we ended up BSing and he gave me a business card in case I ever needed it. :hs:

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I got pulled over for drag racing back in March 2007. It wasn't a true drag race though. I turned right on red, and another mustang got the green light and tried catching up to me. We were both WOT, but not even close to each other. The officer was stopped in the right lane (giving someone else a ticket) when I came flying up behind him. He waved us down but only I stopped. He gave me a warning and said that Barrington Rd wasn't my personal dragway. I said thanks and headed home. That was the break of a lifetime.

02DyeFour

There can be only One...
Mar 13, 2008
Oak Forest/DeKalb
Pulled over on 294 for going "65" in a 55. Cop said I was doing well over 80, but he didn't catch me on radar so said i was doing 65. When in reality, I was doing 60 the whole way, I didn't own a car at the time and I was driving my moms car and DIDNT want to get pulled over for speeding. But anywho, he just gave me a warning.

He also asked me if I was a member of the NIU swim team. I said no. Then he asked why my eyes were bloodshot. Mind you, it was 2am, and I wear hard contacts and my eyes are always red. Soo, he thought I was high, which I was not.

Got pulled over a couple weeks ago at 8am in DeKalb for no seatbelt. Just a warning.

transmaxed

TCG Elite Member
Jun 23, 2008
Palatine
Real Name
Matt
I only cought 1 break ever... and I wasn't even really braking the law to begin with. So it wasnt a break, I shoudn't have been pulled over in the first place.
I was cruising ~67mph on the highway (55 limit) in the middle lane late at night. A car was passing me in the left lane doing, I would guess, ~75mph. Just as this cars hood gets past me, we both notice a cop in the right shoulder. The person in the left lane slams on his brakes, I do nothing knowing I wasnt really speeing. This makes me look like I was shooting ahead. I figured the guy next to me was fucked as I saw the cop pull out behind us. To my suprise he pulls ME over. Cop comes up to my window saying I was doing 71. I straight up tell the officer thats immposible because I had my cruise set at about 67. Hes like about 67? I said yeah about, idk my car does not have individual MPH markers, so I cant tell u exactly. Basically I was as honest as possible with this guy, and totally respectful. In the end the cop admitted he was wrong! Hes like alright so u werent going 71, but u just admitted u were doing 67. I said yeah thats fine u can write me a ticket for 67, but I was NOT going 71. He just told me to slow down and walked away. It felt pretty good to have the cop admit he was in error. Its also funny how 4mph probably made a difference between getting a ticket, and catching a break.

Last edited:

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
Back in high school the first year after getting my license. I used to drive like an idiot. The streets were empty except for one car on the right waiting for the green light. I was driving my old Maxima full of friends on a weekend night, I was turning from a side street onto a main street, I was speeding up since the light was turning yellow. I took a left turn, tires screeching and body roll that made the car look like a boat tipping over. Little did I know the car on the right side that was waiting on the red light was a cop. He turned on the lights and came up to me and started screaming and swearing at me. The cop took my license and insurance and went back to his car. I'm sitting there :noes: thinking I'm going to get arrested for reckless driving or get really screwed. The cop quickly comes back and says that I should be glad that he just got a call and that he will remember me, and he read my address. I felt so relieved after that.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
i've never gotten out of a ticket. been pulled over 3 times and have gotten 3 tickets. Each time i was as nice as anyone could be to the cop. My fiancée on the other had has gotten out of multiple tickets...

Off topic, but did you get an STi or do you just like the logo?

On topic, everytime I got pulled over I got a ticket. All for speeding a few MPHs over the limit, lame.

andcbii

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2008
Off topic, but did you get an STi or do you just like the logo?
Yup i got an STi. The car is great!

I only cought 1 break ever... and I wasn't even really braking the law to begin with. So it wasnt a break, I shoudn't have been pulled over in the first place.
I was cruising ~67mph on the highway (55 limit) in the middle lane late at night. A car was passing me in the left lane doing, I would guess, ~75mph. Just as this cars hood gets past me, we both notice a cop in the right shoulder. The person in the left lane slams on his brakes, I do nothing knowing I wasnt really speeing. This makes me look like I was shooting ahead. I figured the guy next to me was fucked as I saw the cop pull out behind us. To my suprise he pulls ME over. Cop comes up to my window saying I was doing 71. I straight up tell the officer thats immposible because I had my cruise set at about 67. Hes like about 67? I said yeah about, idk my car does not have individual MPH markers, so I cant tell u exactly. Basically I was as honest as possible with this guy, and totally respectful. In the end the cop admitted he was wrong! Hes like alright so u werent going 71, but u just admitted u were doing 67. I said yeah thats fine u can write me a ticket for 67, but I was NOT going 71. He just told me to slow down and walked away. It felt pretty good to have the cop admit he was in error. Its also funny how 4mph probably made a difference between getting a ticket, and catching a break.

If i was the cop i would have given you a seat belt ticket for being a ricer.... Unless this was over the summer when you had the TA. If that was the case i would have challenged you to a race =P

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
A local cop in Monee that always fucked with my family pulled me over one night when i was in my 94 Sierra and said i had a headlight out..... I told him yep, because my headlight is missing i hit a deer 4 days before :rofl:

Thats about the funniest break i've gotten

the biggest break i actually caught i still got the ticket but instead of wreckless drivnig, getting arrested, and my car towed he wrote me up for 92/55 instead of 104

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I've caught a number of breaks just "playing dumb" with my exhaust and window tints, but my biggest break was when I was cruising down 41 in the Gurnee/North Chicago area where its a wide open divided highway with no traffic signals for miles and I was doing 25 over. I saw the crown vic headlights way behind me but paid no mind to them until they got close and tailed me for a bit. The cherries came on, and I pulled over immediately. I did everything by the book and told him I was in no rush. I really didn't even realize that I was going that far over the limit. I did fib a lil when I told him that I'm never on that stretch of road and didn't realize what the speed limit was. My clean record and actions got me off tho! :)

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Got pulled over for street racing SuperSS, cop clocked me at 138 in a 55, asked me why I did it, I was 2 miles from rt66 being stupid. Then told me to keep it on the track from now on. Guess he was changing shifts (it was late at night) and didn't feel like going through everything. Havent done anything stupid like that since.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
When I was 17 I did a pretty nasty burnout in front of a cop in my T/A. Got pulled over and the cop asked me why I did it. I told him I hit the gas too hard and I was sorry. He let me go. He was a very nice cop.
Another time I was driving home on 59 at like 1am. I was in a POS galant. Well there was another POS honda next to me trying to race me. I thought it would be funny to have to junk cars going at it. What the hell, nobody else is on the road.
Well I get up to about 100 and I start slowing down. I see headlights pull out in my rearview mirror. Then they are coming up fast. The other car turns in a subdivision and I have nowhere to turn. I pull up to a light and I see the cops light bar in my rearview. He was sitting behind me waiting for the light to turn green so he can pull me over.
I'm thinking great, of all cars I get busted in a galant. I am going to lose my license etc...
Well light turns green and he crosses over into the left turn lane and hangs a u turn.
I'm like wtf???
I'm pretty sure I went past him doing 100mph when he was taking radar.

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
I was pulled over in my area with my old accord speeding 15 over in a 20. Absolutely everyone speeds in this area, but I got lucky enough to get pulled over. He walks up to my car and asks ME why he's pulling me over. This was when I was 16 or 17, so it was my first run-in with the law. I was like WELLLL, defective exhaust, no front plate, tinted windows, speeding 15 over, and not completely stopping at a stop sign? (Liar, Liar anyone?? lol) He was like... well, I should write you a ticket for every one of those but since you know what you did wrong, I'll let you off with a 10 over in a 20. lol young and stupid I was...

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
I had Tireflys Pro on my '95 in 2002...

About March of that year I made a KrispyKreme/White Castle run to St. Charles and Carol Stream. I went down I-39 to 38 and headed towards DeKalb. When I got to Malta (small podunk town West of DeKalb) my Radar Detector went wild... and I slowed to 2 under before getting to the speed zone. Saw the cop sitting near the storage units, and continued on. East of the town, I get pulled over by the cop, who proceeds to ask me if I am a firefighter on the way to a call, and I say no but thinking WTF? He then writes me a ticket for improper lighting and no insurance (forgot the card at home, got off of that by showing ins card at courthouse a few days later). He takes my license as bond, however he states that I am lucky that he doesn't arrest me for impersonating a police officer. :picard: I take off the Tireflys and leave.

A few weeks later, I show up at DeKalb County courthouse in Sycamore to answer on the ticket for the improper lighting. I go before the judge and he states that the ticket was never submitted. He also said that I did my part and that if it ever showed up, it would be dismissed.

At this time, I now wondered where the fuck my license was, and stopped in Malta to talk to the police there... The damn Barney Fife still had it in the car. Officer in charge called the officer in the car at that moment to bring it to where I was. All that bullshit for some $30 Tireflys Pro...

:picard:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info