Yokohama YK520?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
have a pic of the tread? the v4s were excellent in the snow the first winter and decent the second winter. by the 3rd they were terrible and worn out :rofl:

i had 245's on my grand prix and they hooked very well for a street tire; kept nice heat in them unlike the nitto DR's i tried. i actually got a better 60' with the v4s's than nitto DR's. :rofl:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
They would be for my WRX in either 225/45 or 235/45. The Goodyear F1 is a litle too expensive for me Mike. Ron how would you compare them to Kumho Excsta ASX ?

I always thought that Kumho's were a cheaper tire. Probably better for summer use. The 520's are close to the BFG traction t/a's, falken zeix 512, eagle rsa's...any of them are decent tire, I like the yokohama's and falkens for all around street use, and the work well at the track for a less expensive tire.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
They would be for my WRX in either 225/45 or 235/45. The Goodyear F1 is a litle too expensive for me Mike. Ron how would you compare them to Kumho Excsta ASX ?
do not go with the asx, they wear down way too quickly even if you get a moderately hard compound. i have had a set on the impala. they were worthless, i could barely get any grip even on dry pavement. :picard:

I always thought that Kumho's were a cheaper tire. Probably better for summer use. The 520's are close to the BFG traction t/a's, falken zeix 512, eagle rsa's...any of them are decent tire, I like the yokohama's and falkens for all around street use, and the work well at the track for a less expensive tire.
the falken ziex ze512 are very good tires from what i've seen, read, heard, and felt in cars with them mounted up.. however they do wear quite a bit fast since theyre a pretty soft compound .. eagle rs/a's are nice too but as the ze512, they wear quickly

right now i've got goodyear assurance triple treds on the impala. theyre a *great* all season tire from the use ive had so far in the deep snow, the bad rain storms that came before the winter, they're great in below zero temperatures as well which surprised me seeing its just all season, not really a strictly winter tire.

i have no idea if they make em in your size, epik. but ive got about 22k on them and they're really good. theyre rated to i believe 50-60k miles but i obviously won't get that much. probably 35-40 at most. they're a bit on the expensive side but from what i've experienced its worth every cent.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
idk everyone who has ever worked at a tire places say they are god. I will be buying some in the spring.

if you like a stiff sidewall, rough ride, loud ass tire that doesnt come near making up for it with improved handling or tread life then yes... they are god.
thats probably why the tire guys like them, people get rid of them and get different tires before they are worn out because they are such a crappy tire, its a guaranteed 2nd tire sale

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and got the yk520s, I probably could have gotten something a little better but these were all Discount Tire had in stock in the size I wanted, the price was right, and I needed them asap.

1st impressions. I didn't go too crazy with testing dry traction yet, definitely smoother ride then the Kumho Ecsta ASXs I had before. They MIGHT be a tad bit less responsive than the Kumhos but that might also be bacause I got a 235/45 instead of the Kumhos 225/45 I had. Obviously have to wait to compare wet/snow traction, but so far so good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info