Wolfsburg Jetta

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Well ive been looking around for a new car for the past couple months. Ive found several i like and some that my dad likes (hes extremely anal about what i get since most likely i have to have him co-sign a loan). I wanted something fun, decently quick and decent looking, after having my current car for over a year i need a change of scenery. So i found this here 2001 Wolfsburg Jetta.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=256544722&dealer_id=554486&car_year=2001&rdm=1233043938415&model=JET&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=__V29sZnNidXJn__&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=087111108102115098117114103&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=775046&showZipError=n&make=VOLKS&keywords_display=Wolfsburg&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=1&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=60451&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=8000&cardist=100&standard=false

The blue book on it is over $8500, so im thinking thhis is a good deal. im just mad it probably wont be on the market by the time i can afford it. And i dont know if anyone on here is at all familiar with these, but if u look at the motor pic it says 20V-Turbo, which i just found on wikipedia, it has 5 valves per cylinder, interesting, but let me know what u guys. im not looking to run sub 12's just a fun DD that i may put some bolt-ons into

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Repair costs are outrageous on VWs. If it doesnt have a warranty, dont buy it IMO. How much are you able to afford to spend on a car?
i know repair costs are outrageous, but then again there is very few cars that dont have outrageous repair costs, especially if u take it to a shop

well once i get my tax return and all my paychecks dont have to go into school, i can afford around $450 a month for a car payment and insurance. Im planning on selling my current car for im hoping for at least a grand 1990 chevy lumina with 66xxx miles on it.

Last edited:

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
You might be able to find a Mazda3 for around $8-9k, which would fit your requirements but have better reliability than the VW. All of your mod money would likely go to repairs on the VW.

I have a consumer reports subscription, so let me know if you need any used car ratings.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I think he's lumping insurance as well as car payments into that number. When I was 19 I had a $288 a month payment, which wasn't bad but I always had a decent paying job (for 19) until I left for college and then used all the money I saved on car payments. D'oh. Live and learn.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Don't solely trust any one publication's opinion. Look around at all sources and make an informed decision from multiple sources. Most importantly, just go out and drive the cars. That's the only way you'll know if it's right for you or not.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Don't solely trust any one publication's opinion. Look around at all sources and make an informed decision from multiple sources. Most importantly, just go out and drive the cars. That's the only way you'll know if it's right for you or not.

im planning on doing that, my buddys room mate has a mazda 3, and i like it, i just figure the jetta was a better starting point for mods if i started to go down that route, as of right this second im not planning anything beyond exhaust, intake, and a few asthetic mods, but i will keep the mazda 3 in mind, i do like the looks of it, and i do like how it rides. thanks for all ur opinions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info