Heat blows cold *ford taurass*

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I drove my one of my dads beaters yesterday. 97 Taurus with the 3.0 V6 motor, it has 97K. The car gets fully warmed up, temp needle in the middle but the heat never really gets hot, its almost cold coming out of the vents. Im not fimular with how heat works in cars and dont really know much about Fords, but all the other Fords I have driven nearly burn your face off with the heat.

Last edited:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I drove my one of my dads beaters yesterday. 97 Taurus with the 3.0 V6 motor, it has 97K. The car gets fully warmed up, temp needle in the middle but the heat never really gets hot, its almost cold coming out of the vents. Im not fimular with how heat works in cars and dont really know much about Fords, but all the other Fords I have driven nearly burn your face off with the heat.

check the HC hoses at operating temp, one should be hotter than the other, if one is very cool and the other is engine temp then the core is clogged, unhook it and backflush with a garden hose.

if they are both hot/same temp then there is likely a problem with the blend door in the HVAC box.

low coolant will also do this (may hear gurgling) but thankfully its not a 3.8 but i have seen SEVERLY corroded WP impellers contribute to inadequate flow/overheating

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
How the hell do you get at the radiator in this thing...

6uonqjb.jpg

Coolant in the overflow tank looks fine.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
How would one back flush the heater core?

Just figure out which way the coolant flows in your engine and reverse it.

Use a garden hose and hook it up to the outlet for the heater core, disconnect the top line at its source and turn on the water till it flows clear, reverse the garden hose and turn it on, its a series of reversing to make sure the corrosion and build up is gone. Works every time.

Edit.... and its "free"

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You could flush it into a container, then take the container to a hazardous material recycling center or just leave it at your local oil change place.

Most Oil change places no longer take them, nor do coolant flushes any longer due to legislation that was passed in early 06. Thats why it has become such an issue in the past year. Some Dealerships still do flushes, but they won't take your coolant, they will only do the flushes themselves. The hazardous material recycling centers will take it.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Most Oil change places no longer take them, nor do coolant flushes any longer due to legislation that was passed in early 06. Thats why it has become such an issue in the past year. Some Dealerships still do flushes, but they won't take your coolant, they will only do the flushes themselves. The hazardous material recycling centers will take it.

Gotcha. I haven't worked at a shop for a while. Nice to know.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Gotcha. I haven't worked at a shop for a while. Nice to know.

I brought my Civic to Farm and fleet last summer, and asked for a coolant flush, they said they didn't do them anymore, I brought it to the honda dealer in my area, and they wanted a killer amount of money, I brought it to jiffy lube *This is all the same day still* and they said they didn't do it anymore, and then I went to walmart where I finally got someone intelligent because coolant flush was still on their price board and he explained that due to the increased fines blah blah, new legislation they no longer offered coolant flushes, but they sold the coolant flush kit for $6 that I installed in the civic and did it myself.

I am not going to mention how I disposed of my coolant in fear of people gutting me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info