So I was reading up on my focus

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Found a couple of odd facts...

Its an 8 valve DOHC engine, and I'm selling it before the warrenty runs out:

Consumer Guide® Estimated Repair Costs
This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.

Item Name Repair Cost
A/C Compressor $655
Alternator $540
Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $4,720

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My 07 is a VERY nice car honestly, Its peppy for what it is *in 05, the replaced that horrid "Zetec" motor for something with far more Grunt, my Duratec 4banger* And I definatly have plenty of room for 4 people to sit comfortably in the car especially cause its a 4-door, although I know the back of the 2door hatches is less than useful.

I just can't BELIEVE that cost for a transmission though, that hurts my brain!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
yea i think our focus is only worth like $7K at most so that would suck for it to go out. Being 6'1" i just dont feel their is enough room. i feel cramped driving it and riding in the passenger seat. yea zetec FTL. 100whp isnt very fun... hopefully sometime this year it will get dumped for a mini cooper S

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
yea i think our focus is only worth like $7K at most so that would suck for it to go out. Being 6'1" i just dont feel their is enough room. i feel cramped driving it and riding in the passenger seat. yea zetec FTL. 100whp isnt very fun... hopefully sometime this year it will get dumped for a mini cooper S

I'm 6'3" and I have TONS of head room in mine, they added an height adjustable seat for the 05 model year I'm guessing cause I just lower my seat and its like I'm in a Cathedral.

It has more room than Kims Taurus.

The bump to 136hp 136tq DEFINATLY helped this car quite a bit, and yes, if my trans goes out I'm buying a stang or a speed3

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
wow I cant believe a trans is listed as a estimated repair, thats a Ford for ya. Those prices are probably what a dealer would charge for a repair.

Thats the price on a new trans tru Ford.

Besides. Unless you plan on putting over 200k miles on that trans. you'll be fine.

My uncle has an 04 Focus, he does cross-country driving frequently. He has 175kish miles and he says he has only flushed it once or twice.

Ford is using some good trannys these days.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Thats the price on a new trans tru Ford.

Besides. Unless you plan on putting over 200k miles on that trans. you'll be fine.

My uncle has an 04 Focus, he does cross-country driving frequently. He has 175kish miles and he says he has only flushed it once or twice.

Ford is using some good trannys these days.

How is the trans fine/good if consumer reports listed it as a estimated repair? They have to break pretty frequently for them to say something like that.

Sure there are some people that have a trans that last longer than normal.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The original Focus models were riddled with recalls and it was one of the most recalled new vehicles sold at one point. But as the years progressed they worked out the kinks and -- as with most models -- at the end of the model run they had quite good reliability ratings.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Panda, Consumer reports lists ALL Cars transmissions costs as its a large repair cost, reliable or not, just FYI.

in 05 they switched to the Mazda3 platform/motors, so I'm sure it will be a reliable little car while its under warrenty, but after seeing a cost that high, there is no way I'm keeping it, even a brand new taurus tranny (2008) is almost half that cost

This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.
Item Name Repair Cost
A/C Compressor $670
Alternator $460
Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $2,700

I'm seriously wondering if the engine has to be pulled to install a new tranny at that cost.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Panda, Consumer reports lists ALL Cars transmissions costs as its a large repair cost, reliable or not, just FYI.

in 05 they switched to the Mazda3 platform/motors, so I'm sure it will be a reliable little car while its under warrenty, but after seeing a cost that high, there is no way I'm keeping it, even a brand new taurus tranny (2008) is almost half that cost

Item Name Repair Cost
A/C Compressor $670
Alternator $460

I'm seriously wondering if the engine has to be pulled to install a new tranny at that cost.

Why are those prices diffrent than the original ones you posted?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Originally Posted by Dasfinc View Post

in 05 they switched to the Mazda3 platform/motors, so I'm sure it will be a reliable little car while its under warrenty, but after seeing a cost that high, there is no way I'm keeping it.

Fixed.

Even a brand new taurus tranny (2008) is almost half that cost

Item Name Repair Cost
A/C Compressor $670
Alternator $460

Why are those prices diffrent than the original ones you posted?

Taurus tranny is what I posted the second time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info