WTF why are car parts so damn expensive.

Which direction should I go?

• Built N/A with the bottle

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Turbo that bitch

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Sell that turd and start with something new

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Im thinking of abandoning my turbo build and just settling for what ive got done now.

Ive got around $3k into my engine build so far. Forged rods, arp rod bolts, custom arias forged pistons, crank scraper, custom ground cam & pushrods, arp head studs, ported heads, comp cams springs, ported upper and lower intakes, billet TB, and some other shit I probably forgot. After the rest of the gaskets, fluids and some machining it will be around $4k in the engine. A built transmission is going to cost me in the area of $3k. I was, and still may be, building a one off turbo setup. Materials, a nice ball bearing turbo, BOV, and wastegate will be easily $3k. All said and done its going to be in the neighborhood of $10k. Thats a shitload of money to spend on a GRAND AM. On about 15 lbs of boost, it will run low 12s all day, which is faster than almost everyone here. Not to mention the MAJOR sleeper status.

The more I think about it, the harder time Im having parting with all of this money.

I could sell the pistons Ive got now to get some higher compression (11:1) ones made and not lose any money. There is already a nitrous system on my car, and I can add another stage by simply picking up another pair of solenoids. With the combination of shit I have right now, plus the higher compression pistons, I can make somewhere around 240hp at the wheels on motor. Thats low 14s high 13s on motor. Another 100 or more HP on spray is 12s territory.

The fastest know v6 grand am has a best time of 12.940 @ 108.23 MPH on 9lbs of boost, and the fastest known 4cyl is running a 12.413 @ 112.30 MPH on 19lbs of boost. Nobody has done a complete engine build yet on a V6. Ive got a better set of heads, more wild cam, and a completely forged bottom end.

The fastest nitrous time is a 13.8xx which I could nearly hit with just a built N/A motor...

Either way its going to be faster than nearly every grand am ever on the road.

I just cant decide at this point, how involved with time and money I want to get in this project. There are certainly easier cars to go faster in for less $$ Of course you lose the sleeper status when you build a muscle car, and the uniqueness.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
funny you speak of this, I was just sitting down and wondering how to attach a M90 blower to my motor and abandoning my spray too...

man tough decision, and 10k is a lot of money...

You will have better luck making a centrifugal supercharger setup or a turbo. For an M90 you are going to need a custom intake manifold or a way to remotely mount it off of the intake. You are going to need a way to tune it as well or your shit will go boom.

Yes, 10k is a lot of money, but in the world of modifying cars it isnt. There is already about $4k of bolt ons and misc other parts on my car. Plus the $3k ive already spent on the engine build.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
You will have better luck making a centrifugal supercharger setup or a turbo. For an M90 you are going to need a custom intake manifold or a way to remotely mount it off of the intake. You are going to need a way to tune it as well or your shit will go boom.
no room in the engine bay for a turbo or centrifugal... anywhere... just need to make a spacer plate to bolt up w/ the lower intake mani and route a belt to it, and yes a tune...

Yes, 10k is a lot of money, but in the world of modifying cars it isnt. There is already about $4k of bolt ons and misc other parts on my car. Plus the $3k ive already spent on the engine build.

well it's really up to what you want to spend vs what type of performance you want to get... tough decision, sucks the bottle is only wot, none of the 3/4 throttle power that goes with non-nitrous cars... and refills suck. but also a high 13 n/a GA ain't bad either.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
it will run low 12s all day, which is faster than almost everyone here.

There are actually ALOT more cars faster than low 12's here than you think...

I would say save your money. No offense but it is a Grand AM and it is FWD, those two things will be holding you back from building anything really fast. You gotta remember about reliability, when you are going to build a GA race-car like that will it be reliable? If you want togo fast buy a LS1, 10K into that and you will be FLYING.

SikBUSA

Addict
Nov 15, 2007
Kuwait
sell the car but an early year LS1. heres wat u can do to an LS1 with 10K$$
9"rearend,TH350 transmission,408small block,big heads and cam,fast 90 intake manifold,4000stall,torque arm,suspension,slicks and skinnies,Nitrous(300SHOT),exhaust including headers of course id go with SLP longtubes or kooks or stainless works,SLP lid,
and a tune
speed INC sells the 408 motor with forged bottom end
and thunderracing carries cams and heads and everything else.
with all this and some other minor stuff that i probably forgot ur lookin at a 9 sec LS1

Thread Info