Silence just went out the window....

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My whole original idea about the Regal was a quiet stock looking street sleeper. I wanted the quiet exhaust and stock look and the "WTF JUST HAPPENED" after I slammed on the gas effect. After researching and looking around, either the quiet had to go, or the big restriction had to stay. There would be no way in hell I would be able to pull off a full exhaust and a quiet stockish sounding muffler. Especially when Im limited to a single out exhaust unlike my GP sisters and their dual outlets.

So I went and ordered another fucking Hooker Maxflow. I loved the way it sounded on my GP.....at idle. LOL. Didnt sound as bad as other mufflers at WOT, but you could tell it was a 3800. They all sound like ass at redline with an aftermarket muffler. (Cept turbo cars.....but I can dream)

Wonder what a single out Maxflow will sound like since the exhaust doesnt have 2 mufflers to goto.

Before Kevy says it, I DIDNT want to do dual outlets on the car. Im not gonna follow the sheep and go duals because they look cool. I could care less how the car looks. Single exhaust should flow fine for what Im doing and I didnt want to add the weight.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
They sound decent at idle, but horrible at WOT. Plus they are really droney. My old exhaust setup didnt have much drone at all and sounded a tad bit better at WOT then a magnaflow setup did, and it didnt have a resonator.

My Regal has more drone then my GP did and it has a stock muffler. Theres a nice thing to figure out.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
3" without a resonator? I assume it will sound raspy. My exhaust is still the stock 2.5" from the resonator back where it splits to dual 2.25" to the stock mufflers, and it gets kind of raspy at higher at rpms. I like the sound of the hooker aerochamber on the 3800 but i don't think i've heard the maxflows.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I think mufflers like the flowmasters and stock get more raspy then straight through mufflers.

If anyone ever heard my GT, I think they would say it SOUNDed mean. LOL. High RPM shittyness is bound to happen with any muffler on these cars. I decided to pick one with a good idle/low RPM sound.

FWIW, IIRC the stock Regal exhaust is 2.25 all the way back. Im suprised I eeked out the times I did with it on.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Exact reason Mook said. They tend to go bad very quickly especially up here in the north where we use salt on the roads. Id go manual, but I dont think some random guy on the street will like me getting out of my car to uncap it real quick. LOL.

Plus I think eventually Ill just drop the exhaust at the track and go open headers.

Ohh, no cat on the exhaust as well.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
im glad you didnt go duals, ur car is a sleeper, i know how you are and there would already be a bunch of exterior mods done as well, but if you keep it all stock on the outside, minus say a muffler+tip, thats ur style lol

as far as a tip, wat u thinkin? single or dual?

honestly if i had to go with only ONE exhaust, i would have kept my slp gsx single outlet, best all around single catback for our cars, either custom or prefab

glad you got a little drone now ;)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Still gotta goto the exhaust shop to get it done. Might not get to it till the week after newyear. I was interested in the GSX single out but I cant find one anywhere.

I wanted to see if I can get the stock tip look. Hehe. If not, Ill probably go for the cheapest 3" tip.

I still have the GSX grill. It looks cool, but not sure on what to do about it. I threw away my stocker since I didnt have the room but not many people even look at the grill. Hehe.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Now i'm no expert on exhaust ( every car i've owned has at one time had no exhaust, and that included the PT). But what if you just had full 3in with a long straight through resonator and and one of those straight through mufflers, wouldn't that be pretty quiet and high flow? I dont know your price range or how the Regals exhaust routes under the vehicle, so i'm just throwing out my two cents. I do agree that the 3.8 sounds like crap, if you ever goto Western Illinois University, they're more popular than pickups with no exhaust. But hey, if you're going for flow, who cares how it sounds at WOT, as long as its still comfortable at cruising RPMs when you're traveling.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
if i talk to MJ he will get on here.

MJ FTW!

He did the magnaflows on the SHO and they sound so nice now. I have NO complaints.

He also did the Flowmaster on the Escape, and well. Thats the best sounding V6 I've ever heard. But drones quite a bit tho.

I like the way Flows sound on 3800s but they are almost TOO loud and droney

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
honestly if i had to go with only ONE exhaust, i would have kept my slp gsx single outlet, best all around single catback for our cars

One of the best exhausts I've heard on our cars.. I miss it. I miss the whole damn car. I should have kept it and demodded. Thats what I get for making such a last minute decision.

My Magnaflow mufflered exhaust suprisingly isnt TOO bad for a 3800, though it does have a somewhat annoying drone. It was actually louder and much more droney when I had a cat and stock manifolds, it would set off car alarms. Now with the PS headers I dont have that problem, and the drone is liveable.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Well, I was calling around and even MJ wanted at least 300 for a catback alone. I found this.

http://www.hoganperformance.com/CB300SW.htm

Not a bad deal. $230 shipped and it has a resonator. Now I gotta find a nice cheap shop to weld it up and bolt it on. Unless someone here can weld. Ill buy the beer. :D

how pretty of welds :wink:

and up here by me... mchenry muffler, i forget dudes name, but he does aaaaawesome work... i know its a haul for you... but is very reasonable and will basically do anything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info