odd stutter/miss at low revs, worsens as car warms up *10min

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Finished up my Y8 mini me swap, and ironed out all my issues except for one.

The car starts and idles perfectly, revs smoothly and quickly in neutral or with the clutch in, but with the car under load below 5 grand it is stuttering and misfiring pretty badly and worsens to the point of being nearly undriveable once its warmed up, once it hits 5K and the cam phases, the car runs ALLRIGHT, but still not correctly.
EVEN AFTER WARMING UP it still idles just fine, and revs freely when not under load.

NO Check engine light, Isn't burning coolant or oil, Smokes a bit under load, but it just smells like its running pig rich.

I fixed my timing last night and its dead on at 0 degrees, but still has this issue.

Anyone have something of this nature happen to them before?

Car is a 92 CX with a D15B8 Bottom end, and a D16Y8 head, Yes the Oil jet has been Pulled, and Yes the ECU is correct, and AGAIN there is no CEL. some input would be massivily helpful

I suspect its my ECU, or I need to ADVANCE my timing a bit.

My IAT is mounted off a Vacuum line, but shouldn't be causing this problem.

Phearable.net recommened I try advancing my timing a bit, he sounded fairly confident that his fuel maps were dead-on for my setup.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
wrong cam?
cam gear adjusted to 0* (if you have adjustable) timing is off (i usually set to 14* adv. - but should run fine at 0*)
wrong distributor
bad ignighter/coil in distributor
timing belt is off a tooth
fuel pump
fuel pressure
bad injector(s)
plugs - wires - etc.

ill try to think of some other stuff - check the basics

remember K.I.S.S.

keep-it-simple-stupid

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
SRT41320 said:
wrong cam?
cam gear adjusted to 0* (if you have adjustable) timing is off (i usually set to 14* adv. - but should run fine at 0*) *I'm dead on TDC at 0*
wrong distributor - Right Dizzy, ECU is setup for it as well, was used a week before in the same car, worked fine, diffrent head doesn't affect it
bad ignighter/coil in distributor - Same as above, dizzy worked previously
timing belt is off a tooth - It was off a tooth, corrected it and put it at TDC
fuel pump - Pulls strongly at high RPM, doubtful
fuel pressure - Same as above
bad injector(s) - Still using origional injectors
plugs - wires - etc. - I have NGK plugs, but Ebay wires which I suspect may be part of the problem, and plan on testing next time I'm out at the car with another set.

ill try to think of some other stuff - check the basics

remember K.I.S.S.

keep-it-simple-stupid

I suspect the wires, but more and more I'm starting to suspect due to my setup I need to run a few degrees advanced for it to run right.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Even with the dizzy pegged to advanced, same issue.
Car shouldn't be UNDRIVEABLE with the timing at TDC, So I've ruled that out.

Checked injectors *Cleaned them heavily* Tried a FPR that has a higher flow rate, still same results

Tested new wires, Same results

At this point I assume my Ignition Coil is Fucked. They are notoriously weak, I Beat the piss out of my dizzy trying to get the old rotor off, and it'd explain why it works fine without load.

I'm ordering or Picking up an ACCEL HEI Super Coil tomorrow.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Here is my current doodle:

I think I may STILL be off a damn tooth on the cam...... gonna find out tomorrow.

Camdoodle.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Dasfinc
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list