Nitto 555r -- who's used `em

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm looking at a pair of used Nitto 555r drag radials -- 245/50/16 -- mounted on a set of 16-inch GP rims for $200. Seems like a good deal to me, the tires retail for $175 each. There are two track passes on the tires, but I’m unsure of how many street miles. They look decent, though, in pictures. I know the guy from when I was in college.

Have any of you guys used these before, or have you heard how they perform? They would be track-only tires/rims for my setup, which is getting a boost in power over the winter months :bigthumb: So basically I'm preparing for next year's track season when I should be buying winter tires ... oh well.

These are the actual tires and rims:

n40011648_31970972_9464.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i ran them on my gtp for a summer and most of the fall. great tire. once they're heated up they hook real good. i was able to cut consistant 1.8 / 1.9 60fts at GLD with them and GLD's prep is usually pretty half assed. they're also a pretty decent street tire. i ran them up until like november and they actually handled really well in the rain....i say go for it

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm almost definite that I'll be buying these, but the rims are in Big Rapids, Mich., which is about 4 hours from here and 60 miles north of Grand Rapids.

I won't be picking them up for a while.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
CrazyMook said:
cripes. thats like at least a 5 hour drive. takes me about 3-4 to get to my aunts in grand rapids

I've made it in 3 hour 45 minutes with no traffic and hauling ass at 90 mph once I hit michigan at 2am. I'm an hour closer though in Naperville. The shitty part was that at 80 mph in the GP you're already outrunning the headlights :sad:

I'm already planning a weekend to go up there and pick them up.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i just went right into the box, ebrake down, and smoked em :dunno: i never noticed any ill effects by letting the rears get slightly wet. its when idiots who ARENT doing burnouts constantly go thru the box and drag water everywhere...thats when it gets annoying

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
CrazyMook said:
i just went right into the box, ebrake down, and smoked em :dunno: i never noticed any ill effects by letting the rears get slightly wet. its when idiots who ARENT doing burnouts constantly go thru the box and drag water everywhere...thats when it gets annoying

Exactly like this. Just stop in the water box with the fronts. Burnout, roll though with the rears.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Fish said:
CrazyMook said:

Exactly like this. Just stop in the water box with the fronts. Burnout, roll though with the rears.

Cool, I wasn't sure if there's any etiquette with it, like not splashing water all over the car behind you or dragging water to the staging area. Thanks, guys.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
Crawlin2vGT said:
i dont liek nittos... good DRs for daily driving for a little bit of better traction u may need or something, but thats about it.

i prefer at the least, teh BFG dr.

yea I dont know why everyone buys these things. Ive driven cars with these tires and I think they suck ass. Even when kyle heated the SHIT outta them on his Blown GT he still roasted the shit out of them. And he can drive surprisingly well.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
bluzohh6 said:
BFG DR ftw

Yea. Good stuff.

MT's are pretty good too.

Im just really biased when it comes to tires because I work with them day in and day out.

And In my opinion Nittos suck. Period.

Shitty treadlife, Shitty traction, Shitty compounds.

Oh and did I mention that thier tires in particular are KNOWN to be MFG'd narrower than the competition?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info