10.65 CR in a Chipped Honda, Premium or Regular Gas?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This is my first time playing with CR, but my car is going from a 9.28CR to a 10.65-10.8CR with the new Headswap, Maybe this is a stupid question but Do I need to run Premium fuel from here on out? I know some hondas from the factory run 10-1+ of CR and run regular gas, but their ECU is designed for it, while mine is 'chipped' by the boyz at Phearable.net for my setup (They never mentioned any requirements of needing premium fuel)

Cliffs Notes:

My CR is going from 9.28 to 10.65 in a 1.5 liter 4 Cyl, Should I run Premium now, or does it not matter? I apologize if this is a stupid question.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Dasfinc said:
This is my first time playing with CR, but my car is going from a 9.28CR to a 10.65-10.8CR with the new Headswap, Maybe this is a stupid question but Do I need to run Premium fuel from here on out? I know some hondas from the factory run 10-1+ of CR and run regular gas, but their ECU is designed for it, while mine is 'chipped' by the boyz at Phearable.net for my setup (They never mentioned any requirements of needing premium fuel)

Cliffs Notes:

My CR is going from 9.28 to 10.65 in a 1.5 liter 4 Cyl, Should I run Premium now, or does it not matter? I apologize if this is a stupid question.

run premium if you want to be on the safe side or ask phearable boyz themselves

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Xerxeis said:
Then what's the point of race gas and Torqo(sp?)

Here is a very simple way to explain this but there is a lot more involved:

You have two engines, engine A and engine B

Engine A makes 200hp
Engine B makes 600hp

87octane explodes at 140f
93octane explodes at 180f

spark plugs fire a spark at 180f

Right before the plug fires the combustion chamber temps rise due to compression:
Engine A combustion chamber heats up to 120f
Engine B combustion chamber heats up to 175f

Engine A + 87oct = explosion during spark
Engine B + 87oct = explosion during compression

Engine A + 93oct = explosion during spark
Engine B + 93oct = explosion during spark

Since 93 octane requires 180f to explode, it will burn a little slower than 87oct 180f and cause less of a "pop". 93oct will be barely burning while 87oct will be way past it's limit.

Again, there is more to this than just octane, but this is a kids-book type illustration to this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info