What does a full delete on 6.7 give me??

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Bought a new truck and it threw a sensor code, so still haven't picked it up yet.
One of the other contractors said I should do a full delete while I'm still working in the area.
I'm buying it so I can do storm work in the winter and get the hell out of Chicago weather.

He said the def stuff causes damage?? Is that true, and is that even something they can remove??
What does DEF do to these engines that causes harm??
No inspection state, so that's a plus.
It's a 2013 F-550 197,000, why should I spend the money??
It already has more than enough power for my needs.
Truck weighs ~15,000 & the trailer weighs ~12,000.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Deleting/tune removes all those codes related to the 15 sensors of bullshit related to this hunk of garbage.

59iYbqu.png

I deleted that, the DEF tank, and EGR as the carbon builds up big time at the intake.

Now its just a straight pipe.

ISzazQ6.png

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
The DEF system is considered exhaust after treatment. It's all downstream of the engine and doesn't cause engine damage. The only way I can see it affecting the engine is if the pickup/sending unit in the def tank fails and allows def to mix with coolant. Otherwise it doesn't effect the engine at all. It's all in the exhaust system.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Talked to him again, and he claims because we idle 8-10 hours a day, it causes damage, but didn't have any exact examples??
Something he heard because idling doesn't let the exhaust get hot enough to keep stuff clean.
Clogging up the exhaust hurts the engine some how??

He only has Cummings, so is idling bad for all diesels??

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I also was hoping DEEZUZ threw his 2 cents in.
So it looks like sooner the better for long term life if I want this monster to be my last truck, and no major repairs!!!

I still don't understand why they made the PTO change on these monsters!!!
You would think a guy that can afford a $109,999 truck could afford the tried & true auxiliary engine hydraulic pump set up,
instead of beating the piss out of your damn engine!!!
An Onan with pump is pricey, but nothing like the cost of wearing the frick out of your brand new 6.7 because it idles 8 hours a day!!!!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I take it you haven't seen the front drive assembly on this thing yet. Lemme know where you can fit a hydro pump at.... It's been done but not efficiently

The pto take off on the trans is an amazing setup. I don't care what pto you put on the engine, it isn't enough to load that engine at all what so ever. High idle won't even help

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
I take it you haven't seen the front drive assembly on this thing yet. Lemme know where you can fit a hydro pump at.... It's been done but not efficiently

The pto take off on the trans is an amazing setup. I don't care what pto you put on the engine, it isn't enough to load that engine at all what so ever. High idle won't even help

Exactly, it has an 11' bed and 8 big ass cabinets/bins, stick a damn Onan somewhere like all my other trucks, that works great.
Why the frick make the engine run unnecessarily all these hours!!!

I have the Onan on the rear deck, in a bin, on top of the bin on my other trucks, all work perfect.
This is my 1st truck with a PTO off the truck engine/trans, but they are all like that now, so I had no choice.

Plenty of room for an Onan.

s-l1600.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Won't run. But the computer stuff is the easiest part depending on what you're using for tuning. Remove what you should, unplug what you should, put a battery charger on the truck and plug in and go. Emphasis on the battery charger. I've seen a few ECU's fucked up because of voltage drop during tuning.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Yup, idling too much with an SCR system is going to clog up the SCR cat. The engines need to be run hard to keep exhaust temperature hot enough to efficiently use the DEF.

I used to work with off road equipment for a few years. If a farmer bought the biggest and baddest tractor, but only used it for light duty, they would have problems with SCRs plugging up. I've seen a few that were cross sectioned that were filled with crystalized urea. I haven't been around Diesel stuff for a couple years now, but I hear the technology is starting to come around and be more reliable. Earlier systems didn't have enough sensors and relied on calculations rather than actual data, which lead to problems.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I just got a call from a personal friend with 2018 6.7 and he wanted me to install his delete. He ordered all the stuff over the weekend. I'll snap some pictures of when I install it.

He ended up going with GPD tuning software on the EZ link tuner with a P1 Race parts down pipe back exhaust system in Stainless Steel. He also bought the DPF harness plug kit.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

Sweet. That would be a big help, thanks.

Talked to another contractor today. He said all he does to his is the straight pipe & DEF-EGR delete and all the idling doesn't hurt anything.

He also has a 6.4 & 7.3 truck with blown engines and can't find a mechanic he likes.

:wavy:

Idling with a 6.7 you'll still wipe bearings eventually. Around the 7k hr mark

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info