Another case of losing interest in the hobby?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I just sold both of my cars in the last 7 days, which means I have no cars right now.

(my very good friend is lending me his TSX until I find something)

The problem I'm having is... I really don't want anything. Perhaps it's my current rental situation, which honestly sucks ass car wise, but is great for riding my bikes to work, which I love riding to work. I am just thinking, I used to be so excited to start a new chapter in the car life, getting a new car (to me) and being too damn excited about it, and now I am just meh.

I loved my s2000, but I was always afraid to drive it because low mile s2000's are worth $$$$$$ and mine was very much all of that. So I said, fuck it, I'll sell mine and find a fucked up one with a rebuilt title and drive the shit out of it. My very good friend just so happens to own one that is perfect for that but it's just a little bit too rowdy for my taste, so I think I'm going to pass. So I am searching for that rebuilt title crap shit car, but at the same time, I don't want 2 cars again because of where I live and it being a HUGE pain in the ass.
S2000's die with winter driving so there's no way I could live with it being my only car.

So IDK. I just don't have that same excitement to get another car anymore.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
After my car being wrecked by a drunk driver. I have no real motivation to get into another hobby car right now. I do miss my car. But I don’t miss cleaning it, maintenance, worrying about reckless drivers and assholes in parking lots and such. I’m content most of the time. I just play more golf.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Kind of a sad tough spot. I think you’re on the right track about getting a “beater”, but maybe go up one notch from that? I originally got the Caprice because I needed a daily that just wasn’t completely boring. For some silly reason I fell in love with that damn car and it’s still my daily “beater”. Maybe try to find something that checks the beater box a little and the fun box a little with some practicality. Good luck, hope you figure out something.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Honestly it’s just the whole “shit costs money” to go fast part that sucks and makes it disheartening for me. Anyone that says I went 9s or 8s super cheap is lying. Either you bought a 40-60 grand car and did some bolt ons, or you dropped 15-20k in an F body or similar car to do it properly. (Not a stock bottom end I did 8s twice then blew the fuck up crap)

I’ve prob dropped 14 ish k in my current built. Built ass engine, badass transmission, big turbo kit etc. just sucks that it costs so much to get crazy.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Getting old guys. Thats what happening. You realize hard parking until 2am standing in the cold, and also getting reckless driving tickets from racing on the street is no longer worth it. Then you are left with either DDing your nice car, or letting it sit and driving it when the weather is just right.

I'm in the same boat. Sold the challenger when we got here to FL. Im thinking about another corvette, but this time its going to be the sunshine only car that makes it out to cars and coffee. Im not shopping for one now though. Maybe next year. We are having a house built this fall. Then after that maybe one will show up.

But I feel you. This "sport" got old for me a couple of years ago. Honestly when Lukes shut down. Not because of that, but around that time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I just sold both of my cars in the last 7 days, which means I have no cars right now.

(my very good friend is lending me his TSX until I find something)

The problem I'm having is... I really don't want anything. Perhaps it's my current rental situation, which honestly sucks ass car wise, but is great for riding my bikes to work, which I love riding to work. I am just thinking, I used to be so excited to start a new chapter in the car life, getting a new car (to me) and being too damn excited about it, and now I am just meh.

I loved my s2000, but I was always afraid to drive it because low mile s2000's are worth $$$$$$ and mine was very much all of that. So I said, fuck it, I'll sell mine and find a fucked up one with a rebuilt title and drive the shit out of it. My very good friend just so happens to own one that is perfect for that but it's just a little bit too rowdy for my taste, so I think I'm going to pass. So I am searching for that rebuilt title crap shit car, but at the same time, I don't want 2 cars again because of where I live and it being a HUGE pain in the ass.
S2000's die with winter driving so there's no way I could live with it being my only car.

So IDK. I just don't have that same excitement to get another car anymore.

there's a section on TCG for you guys.

we welcome you with open arms.

https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/boating-powersports/

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
:rofl: I'm definitely not into getting something that takes up even more precious garage space!

I am also very much planning on tracking as much as I can, I just can't decide what to do.

Go back to having 2 cars and deal with it being a huge pain in the ass?

Have only 1 car that I can track and daily, but the shitty part of that is it's fuckin' illinois and winters destroy everything.

Perhaps next year I can look into renting something with a 2 car garage, the only stuff available is too far from work to ride my bike so that would suck.

Maybe the housing market will crash super hard and I can snag up something super cheap to flip? The options are endless.

The main point to all of this is I used to get excited to buy something new to me and I am not excited at all, I just want to get something and be done with it :rofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Didn't use a car he could have driven any day. Yet a dedicated off-road vehicle seems like a good idea? wut?

I think the biggest isse we have as car people is not driving our cars as much as we should. It is no wonder people get bored with something that sits in the garage 95% of the time. Buy something that interests you but with the intent of actually using it. Don't buy something that you are using as an investment. Because we know how that ends up.

Buy something you can enjoy as much as possible. Know it may be dirty from time to time. Know it may have some compromise on track as it is not a dedicated track car. Or if you buy a motorcycle, quad, or whatever else, plan to use it as much as you can. And sometimes a new car/bike/off-road vehicle can spark interest in the hobby again.

Having more than one hobby isn't a bad thing either. Just have to balance the time between it all.

Think it through and make sure it is the purchase for you. Best of luck with whatever you do.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
What I am looking for right now is 4dr Civic Si's in "meh" condition. I needed more room but whatever car replaces my Prelude will sit outside 95% of the time and be driven in the winter so I don't want anything nice. This is also a car that I can track the hell out of as well, but you have to roll the fenders for the right wheels and tires and rolled fenders and winter to not go well together. I've found a few that are considerable so far, but I really don't need help finding a car, this was meant to be more of a discussion.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Also, some vehicles seem to have better resistance to rust due to manufacturing and protection. Will rust eventually get them? Sure. But you might get a lot more time before it does. Enough time to move to another vehicle. Maybe one car would work in a dual roll.

The main issue with a car you plan to race and abuse is the downtime when it breaks. But then there is your bicycle and uber. haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info