Amsoil question. Which one in my Escalade?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You will never push even the most base conventional motor oil that meets Dexos1 for MY2012 (which supercedes GM6094M or GM4718M) requirements, to it's limits. So I don't get the need to spend big bucks on oil that you won't really get any perceived benefit out of... Other than longer drain intervals.

I know people get passionate about oil and I get it if you have a race car or some specific need that you're addressing, but in a DD, with a run of the mill GM small block V8, any oil that meets Dexos1 will work fine.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
You will never push even the most base conventional motor oil that meets Dexos1 for MY2012 (which supercedes GM6094M or GM4718M) requirements, to it's limits. So I don't get the need to spend big bucks on oil that you won't really get any perceived benefit out of... Other than longer drain intervals.

I know people get passionate about oil and I get it if you have a race car or some specific need that you're addressing, but in a DD, with a run of the mill GM small block V8, any oil that meets Dexos1 will work fine.

Damn good point and I never really thought of it that way, I’m just thinking a bit of “extra protection” for summer road trips. Thing is I’m also the guy that changes my synthetic oil at 4-5k intervals instead of the 10k factory recommendation.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Again, I will never tell anyone NOT to put in what they want. My only advice whenever I get in to oil threads;

1) Make sure whatever oil you get meets the manufacturer spec/licensing
2) Buy whatever lets you sleep better at night. If that's regular conventional, fine. If it's high dollar synthetic, fine. It's your wallet, but as long as it meets point #1, I don't care.
3) Maintain regular and consistent change frequencies. You seem, like me, to have that covered.

The issue when oil topics come up are the oil manufacturer's chest beating about superior protection, better thermal capacity, yada, yada. The benefits they brag about are so absolutely insignificant, and so far out of reach of whatever you're using your Escalade for, that it's really an irrelevant point.

My 'Burb is pushing 180k. The old van is also pushing 180k. Both get either Valvoline conventional 5W-30 or 5W-20 for the van. If there is a good deal on Valvoline Max Life, I will pop for that because those high mileage oils typically have higher zinc contents, which do help with wear resistance. But yea. You don't need a fancy oil.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info