99-03 Porsche 996

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I'm sure Vogz will have some good insight. But here is a little of what I have seen when researching them a couple of years back...

The IMS bearing is a big potential issue in those era N/A cars. If you can do the work that saves a lot. But the kit and tools can still be expensive. I remember reading that early engines had some issues with cracking cylinder liners. But not sure if that is internet lore more than an actual high percentage of owners who experienced that issue. And I am sure by now it would have been obvious by anything other than a car that has sat for the last 10-15 years.

Aging wiring, vacuum hoses / hard lines, leaking rear main seals, ignition coils, and the usual stuff that are of concern with any 15-20 year old car.

The front ends have no weight to support. They usually last forever. The rear gets abused some but usually no major issues. And replacement parts are not too expensive or hard to replace.

Like any car, good maintenance history is a huge benefit when buying these cars.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
The IMS bearing is a big potential issue in those era N/A cars. If you can do the work that saves a lot. But the kit and tools can still be expensive.

Definitely make sure the IMS bearing has been replaced/upgraded. And the only reason I even know what that is, is because they just did a 996 911 on last weeks season premier of wheeler dealers, and Ant had to replace that, and it did not look fun :rofl:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Definitely make sure the IMS bearing has been replaced/upgraded. And the only reason I even know what that is, is because they just did a 996 911 on last weeks season premier of wheeler dealers, and Ant had to replace that, and it did not look fun :rofl:

Saw that too. Doesn't look that bad honestly. The ad here claims the IMS has already been addressed too.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Title says 1999-2004 996 and says listings like the one he posts is. Akibg him think of them. Not that he's only looking at that listing. Just in general

Yeah, just in general. If I got a 911 variant...modding it would be out. Parts are way too rich for my blood. Just getting a car to a good running state would be fine for me.

My wife is the hurtle I have to face on this one. She claims only douches buy Porsches.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
There are lots of very high mileage 996s out there. They honestly are extremely reliable overall if you keep up with maintenance. The IMS issue is overblown. It only affected about 5% of all cars. That said, it’s irrelevant in this case because the engine was bored out and re-built with an upgraded IMS. As long as the re-built is solid, this looks like a decent car for the mileage. I bet you could get him down a bit more too. Definitely have a PPI done by someone reputable if you plan to buy, I would not trust a PPI from 2017. Also, I would want to talk to engine builder.

All in all, these cars are an absolute steal for what you get and completely undervalued.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I would be somewhat leary about the one in the listing. I am pretty sure one of the codes is a rich or lean code on one bank. If you have a shop figure the issue out, which I'm sure cost at least $100, and it is only a $320 repair...why wouldn't it be fixed already? Seems shady to me. Just say'n.

It could be a great deal on a car IF it all checks out and you get a good purchase price.

If you don't plan to mod it, I'd say pony up a little and get a car from someone who is an enthusiast and had maintenance history.

The IMS bearing issue may not be a huge percentage of the production. But you would have to be crazy to not factor in the cost of a potential issue down the road. Meaning if you are at the top of your budget on the car and it fails you are in trouble. If you are ok with paying for the conversion at some point with your purchase price, at least you know you are covered if you decide to go down that road.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I would be somewhat leary about the one in the listing. I am pretty sure one of the codes is a rich or lean code on one bank. If you have a shop figure the issue out, which I'm sure cost at least $100, and it is only a $320 repair...why wouldn't it be fixed already? Seems shady to me. Just say'n.

I don’t get people when selling a nice car and do not fix something that they claim is only a few hundred to fix. Agreed seems shady

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Yeah, I kind of want a driver. My 535 has really low miles for the year. I don't want to put miles on it, and it takes away a lot of the fun of owning it.

My last two cars I bought with higher miles. I took good care of them, but drove everywhere without a care in the world.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info