GM Part #19210071 - How do I get one?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
My old man has a 2005 Vette and a year ago it started acting up (only has ~20k miles on it), would randomly die out and wouldn't start up again.

He took it to the dealer, and they said his ECM is bad, and he needs a new one. Problem is, GM discontinued the part and they don't know where to get one, or if they'll ever be able to get one. It has been at the dealer for over 6 months, and they told him they will hold it indefinitely until they can find a solution, but its crazy at this point.

I'm not a GM guy so I have no idea where to go for this. But I assume there has to be some aftermarket company that sells ECM's for Vettes (or other GM's that share this part). I see them on eBay...but will that even work? I assume they have to be flashed properly in order to work.

Any ideas form the GM bois here? Part detail below.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-ecm-19210071

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Thanks. I guess the part that I'm confused at though...is if I buy one of these off of RockAuto, or elsewhere....what does it entail to get it to work after purchase? I assume some programming has to be involved, or wouldn't a dealer just order from one of these sites? If it does require programming...who can do it?

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
^^^ Exactly...the dealer should be able to do all of the service programming and updating of the existing mileage, VIN, security learn the keys, dash cluster stuff and then perform all of the "learn" procedures with their GM Tech II or diagnostic/programming tools.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Some you can do you with just a Tech2 or MDI, some things do require connection to the Warren Tech Center for authorizations.

I've done them in the past with mine, but anything with mileage or other authorization requirements, I can't do as I don't have a line to GM.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Just got off the phone with my old man. He called the dealer and asked if he brought them one could they do the programming as mentioned. They said as long as it had never been used in another vehicle, they could program it.

I'm going to call both sites listed up top (thanks again guys) and see what the deal with those parts are, and if they've been previously used.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I believe if it's been used it has to be flashed, before any of the base programming/learn's can be done.

The reason I can't tell you exactly is that even from year to year, 1 model can have completely different SOP's based on the hardware/network. Which was frustrating with other GM vehicles where what was applicable to a GP, wasn't applicable to a Bonneville, or a Camaro.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
https://www.gmpartswarehouse.com/oe...MIp--AoJLk4QIVOx-tBh3HBAokEAQYASABEgLE8vD_BwE

Now, I was able to put it in my cart, but since I'm not buying, didn't go any further. So I don't know if you'll hit the roadblock then.

Otherwise Fleabay has a bunch of refurbed ones but they are much more expensive.

Tried to buy one on both of these sites and both are out of stock (even though they were showing in stock). I called the dude at gmpartswarehouse, and he said this part is a huge backorder problem and he has no idea when (if ever) he'll get them back in stock. He said he's had a bunch of Corvette and GTO guys calling him looking for this part.

I'm going to keep searching, but it looks like eBay might be the way to go. Blows my mind GM would not stock up on this part, or get a 3rd party manufacturer to support, before they stopped making it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Tried to buy one on both of these sites and both are out of stock (even though they were showing in stock). I called the dude at gmpartswarehouse, and he said this part is a huge backorder problem and he has no idea when (if ever) he'll get them back in stock. He said he's had a bunch of Corvette and GTO guys calling him looking for this part.

I'm going to keep searching, but it looks like eBay might be the way to go. Blows my mind GM would not stock up on this part, or get a 3rd party manufacturer to support, before they stopped making it.

i mean, try to get a specialized 14 year old OEM only part from any domestic manufacturer and you might find a similar fate.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I mean, also, it just won't run? Or what's the deal?

I wonder if it's even the ecm that's bad....
It runs...and then randomly shuts off and then every dash light comes on. You can't get more than 30-40 minutes driving on it.

Have you parused Corvetteforum?
Yeah...reading on there this afternoon. Seems like a few people have the same issue, referred to some guys shop....guys shop has shit reviews about ripping people off. I need to keep reading on there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info