Drum E85

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
If you can't find anything higher than 65%, you must be testing wrong. I rarely find anything below 70%. And I have never found anything above 85%.

By law, it cannot be over 85%. Actually 83% is the highest it can be. The 85% ethanol is fuel grade, denatured ethanol, so its not pure. Any number you get above 83% is most likely test error.

Speedway is often the highest for me. They sit at 83% all summer and are mid-70's in the winter.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
If you can't find anything higher than 65%, you must be testing wrong. I rarely find anything below 70%. And I have never found anything above 85%.

By law, it cannot be over 85%. Actually 83% is the highest it can be. The 85% ethanol is fuel grade, denatured ethanol, so its not pure. Any number you get above 83% is most likely test error.

Speedway is often the highest for me. They sit at 83% all summer and are mid-70's in the winter.

No, it’s not that I can’t find it, it’s I haven’t tested any pumps. The last batch of E85 I got was in jan and that was just to get base tune in car to move around. I don’t have a test kit at the moment (it’s in the mail) but was hoping to get some drum 85 to get track tune. Basically I was not expecting E85% to be as low as it is. I live in Hoffman estates, anyone know of a station near me that has quality E85?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city

I just tested some that I’m guessing was in the 40’s my test tube only goes to 70 but it was well below half, had a 5 gallon can of it multiple test showed the same, my theory on the 90% results is water contamination shows up on the test tube test as ethanol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
No, it’s not that I can’t find it, it’s I haven’t tested any pumps. The last batch of E85 I got was in jan and that was just to get base tune in car to move around. I don’t have a test kit at the moment (it’s in the mail) but was hoping to get some drum 85 to get track tune. Basically I was not expecting E85% to be as low as it is. I live in Hoffman estates, anyone know of a station near me that has quality E85?

If your getting a track only tune get some vp c85 it’s legit I mix it half and half when I go to the track with pump to keep the stoic closer it’s really not that far off anyway but the gas they cut the ethanol with is race gas so the octane rating is a lot higher and it’s oxygenated, supposedly it makes 5% more power

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
If your getting a track only tune get some vp c85 it’s legit I mix it half and half when I go to the track with pump to keep the stoic closer it’s really not that far off anyway but the gas they cut the ethanol with is race gas so the octane rating is a lot higher and it’s oxygenated, supposedly it makes 5% more power

Yea I was trying to get my hands on some today, was going to try Winners Circle, Koza Motorsports or try Mana. My tuner likes Ignite E85, but they are in Indy.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Winner circle normally has 2-3 cans of it I was getting it there sometimes last year

I have swung down there a couple times to grab a 5 gallon pale or two. Always have had it in stock.

I just tested some that I’m guessing was in the 40’s my test tube only goes to 70 but it was well below half, had a 5 gallon can of it multiple test showed the same, my theory on the 90% results is water contamination shows up on the test tube test as ethanol

I love how in that FB group guy shows a tube showing like 92%. Then the guys shows his Cobb showing like 82%. You mention the water throwing off the test and people jumped all over you. haha Really? The OP even showed a 10% difference between the tube and the sensor.

I agree, it's either people not paying close attention when the add water & fuel or fuel having water in it throwing the reading in the tube some as well. It's not enough to cause issues obviously. But unless you bring that shit to a lab, we'll never know 100%. Tests over 80%, send it. haha

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I have swung down there a couple times to grab a 5 gallon pale or two. Always have had it in stock.

I love how in that FB group guy shows a tube showing like 92%. Then the guys shows his Cobb showing like 82%. You mention the water throwing off the test and people jumped all over you. haha Really? The OP even showed a 10% difference between the tube and the sensor.

I agree, it's either people not paying close attention when the add water & fuel or fuel having water in it throwing the reading in the tube some as well. It's not enough to cause issues obviously. But unless you bring that shit to a lab, we'll never know 100%. Tests over 80%, send it. haha

I’m anal about measurements being accurate, I run lab test on liquid polymers at work that I make so I’m used to being on the money, I use droppers from work to fill my tube test for my e85 a drop at a time when I get close to the line lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I was watching a guy fill his cobra with corn last season while he was testing. Brave.

I filled my car and 2 cans last year and thought it smelled weird tested when I got home and it was 50/50 I just took it easy on that tank the knock sensors pull timing if they need to but I only trust them so much, a lot of the cobra guys back in the day would unplug the knock sensors though, I did that on my old turbo Grand Prix but I was mixing my e85 with 110 down to 60% so knock wasn’t a big issue

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I found some c85 closer at Chicago Connection. Going to pick up on my way from work and see what this bitch will do on the rollers. I have never gone through the whole testing of E85 at a pump. So what is your guys process?

fill maybe container with a cup of pump E85, fill your test tube with water to the line. Use a syringe to pull E85 from your container and and fill tube up to line. Shake and let sit for a few mins?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I found some c85 closer at Chicago Connection. Going to pick up on my way from work and see what this bitch will do on the rollers. I have never gone through the whole testing of E85 at a pump. So what is your guys process?

fill maybe container with a cup of pump E85, fill your test tube with water to the line. Use a syringe to pull E85 from your container and and fill tube up to line. Shake and let sit for a few mins?

If I’m just going around testing I fill a 5 gallon can fill water to the line with fill gas to the line with a dropper I use these little plastic ones so you can do one drop at a time, put my thumb over the top and shake a bit then put the lid on and let it sit for a minute or so, the lids leak on most of them, if it’s shit I feed it to my f150 lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I just use these for a dropper IMG_2134.jpg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Sweet just sent in request to join. How are you guys testing quickly at the pump? Do you always have a gas can and a bottle of water with you at all times? lol

I fill the tube at home and I’m always filling gas cans so I have a reserve at home I keep 3 6 gallon cans so I can fill the car at the pump and refill it once before I have to hit a gas station, you will most likely be like me with a semi heavy foot on e85 it’s 190 miles to a tank lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
When we did that fall trip it was an hour drive to the meeting spot for me I brought a 6 gallon can filled the car in Woodstock did the whole trip up, topped off out of my can at the bbq place up in Wisconsin and made it all the way home on a tank, there’s planning involved but pratt scouted out a high % station for us, 93 is no fun after you feel e85 and lots of boost so once I switch I don’t switch back till storage

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info