Do Dodge Hemis have a stealth mode?

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I'm been thinking of getting a Dodge Charger/Challenger, so I rented one on my last trip. It was a R/T with the 5.7 Hemi. Loved it, except it was stupid loud whenever I got on it. I'd rather not turn heads when I'm trying to blow past traffic. I don't care for the "Active Exhaust" with the valves that open and close.

A co-worker just got a Mustang GT. It can be stupid loud too, but it has a feature that lets you control the exhaust to 'silent' so you don't wake up the neighbors in the morning. Actually you can set times so it's loud during the day and quiet at night.

Does Dodge have a feature like this? Can you turn the Active Exhaust on and off?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
hmm i learned something today.
i want to know how that works

tenor.gif

Cars have had this for a while now. Most have bypass valves in the muffler to allow exhaust to go through the muffler or partially bypass it. I have seen the vacuum and electric operated valves. There are aftermarket exhausts that also offer it as well. Usually with electric cutouts. Early ones just opened the valve when the vacuum went to zero when at WOT. Later ones got more complex with switchable modes. Ford took it a step further and offers that schedule feature,. Which I think is pretty badass.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
tenor.gif

Cars have had this for a while now. Most have bypass valves in the muffler to allow exhaust to go through the muffler or partially bypass it. I have seen the vacuum and electric operated valves. There are aftermarket exhausts that also offer it as well. Usually with electric cutouts. Early ones just opened the valve when the vacuum went to zero when at WOT. Later ones got more complex with switchable modes. Ford took it a step further and offers that schedule feature,. Which I think is pretty badass.

wait wait. like the zo6 bypass valves?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
The FR500 exhaust system on my 2003 Cobra is a dual mode system.

It's almost as quiet as stock when driving normally, but if you get on it, the valves will open and it gets louder. It's not obnoxious though and sounds pretty good, but it takes a few minutes for the valves to close again once you go back to normal driving.

I think it's the same tech as Z06's had back then. Mufflers are made by Arvinmeritor.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
exactly. But just getting more options and features. I'm sure Ford could play with the cam timing to also change the sound profile for different drive modes. But most are just bypass muffler set ups.

They can change the I/E cam phasing to take overlap down to nothing and call it RV Cam mode.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
The Camaro has a actual exhaust mode named 'Stealth'.

Tried to find a good clip, but I gave up after the first 7 videos where shit with either god aweful music and a 2 minute intro, or just had crappy audio quality.

But here's a pic off the Corvette's drive mode page.

IMG_0547.jpg

New Camaro SS? I’m not sure about that. I’d have to look it up.

My exhaust gets louder when I put it in sport and track mode.(same with the Charger)

I think touring mode is the quietest. On the Camaro.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
New Camaro SS? I’m not sure about that. I’d have to look it up.

My exhaust gets louder when I put it in sport and track mode.(same with the Charger)

I think touring mode is the quietest. On the Camaro.

Camaro and Corvette's you can also control through the infotainment system as was trying to be shown. The SS mufflers I posted are purely vacuum actuated.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info