Mechanic recommendations

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I have a mechanical issue that's outside my skill set. I can do brakes and some other minor repairs.

But I have a squealing engine bay that's been driving me crazy for 1.5 years now. I don't know if it is a pulley or a belt. If I took the belt off, I'd never get it back on. And if I did, my accessories would likely be running backwards and I'd probably skip the water pump. Plus if I do it myself, it'd probably take me a month as I struggled through the trouble-shooting of the actual problem.

I'd rather send it to a mechanic for a day and have it done right.

I'm in the South Elgin area, but it doesn't have to be in South Elgin. But I don't want to drive two hours either. There has to be some local. Maybe Dean's in St. Charles?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Correct sir. It started as a barely audible squeak a few months after the blower install. And then by the end of the year in 2017, it was a full on scream. And 2018 came and went without me putting a ton of miles on it and addressing the noise.

Dmark performance, or speed inc just started doing mustang builds, taking the belt off isn’t a big deal it can be a pain in the ass but I change belts at least once a year it seems like, finding a squeak would be my weak point

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Herbst High Performance
(312) 933-5083

He's an honest guy and does good work on about anything. Pratt uses him a lot too and can vouch.

Ya, Eric and crew do great work and are very trustworthy. They work on everything from dump trucks, to high-end exotics, to old school carb'd hot rods, to modified late model cars. They are very versatile and knowledgeable.

They even have loaner vehicles if needed/available. They have two 2019 Chevy Equinox I believe.

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
It's not that hard to remove and install belts. Take a picture of it before you pull it to make sure it goes back on the same way, plus there should be a sticker under the hood to show you how it goes on. A mechanic's stethoscope works wonders on narrowing down squeaks from pulleys.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Thanks to [MENTION=945]daturbosix[/MENTION] and [MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION], the Mustang is back on the road and without squeak.

There were a couple things going on. The first one is that one of the idler pulleys was not in the right spot to provide tension on the belt. And the second problem was that one of the other pulleys was out of alignment. Jeff shimmed with a washer and it is now in alignment. Jim threw on a new belt and all is good.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
tenor.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info