Level vs Lift...

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
So, bored here and thinking about leveling the truck.
I know [MENTION=10343]Bub[/MENTION] had 2 different types of leveling kits on his truck.
one style better than another ?
one brand better than another ?
[MENTION=10447]crooks[/MENTION] suggestions ?
[MENTION=148]HILROD[/MENTION] interested to know if theres any janky shit I should steer clear from

what about a mild 3 or 3.5" lift ?

I would lean towards the leveling kit because I may just have the stock wheels powdercoated and buy a new set of Toyos.
versus lifting and I may want new wheels and tires....don't need to spend "all" the moneys on this..

so as [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] would say................
and go

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
This was mine. Simple easy to do 2ā€ Rough Country bottom mount (under the strut) poly leveling kit, aligned just fine, drove it problem free for 2 years without CV problems or odd tire wear. If I ever get another truck Iā€™ll do the exact same thing.

*edit. The entire reason I did this was so I could fit a 33ā€ Hankook ATM in the front without having to do the fender mod and not have any rubbing.

56ec72431cc1af3b3c08d7f052f274c1.jpg

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
No torsion bars on the newer ones. I put on a couple leveling kits. I think the spring spacers and shock spacers are like 2 or so are as far as you can go without changing the upper control arms(or ball joints every other month). One guy at work tried over 3 and ate his balljoints and tires, so I fixed it. Maybe I can get a picture of my bosses 2 or 2.5 front lift tomorrow. He also put air lift bags on the back and keeps them hella full. Forget his tire sizes tho.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Level kit options are spacers or new shocks. I had both on my 14 GMC. 10 ply tires hurt the comfy stock ride almost as much as the spacers. After the level/lift shocks came out. I ditched the spacer and I got back most of the factory ride. When I sold the truck it had the extra +1" Rough Country rear leaf spring block, +2" Bilstein rear shocks, and +2" Rancho quick lifts up front. I had 275/65R20 which a 34" tire since I did the first spacer level. No fender cutting or big hammer mods.

Spacer kit
https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-1305-10.html

Level Rancho shocks
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ran-rs999901/year/2016/make/gmc/model/sierra-1500

Bilstein Leveling 2.5" Lift Shocks 2014-2018 Silverado Sierra 1500

Lift kits

I wouldnt bother with a 3.5" lift kit. I would go 6" or more depending if you want 35"s or 37"s . If 6" would get a BDS kit with decent shocks.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
2" RC strut spacer and 1.5" Zone add a leaf. Still on stock 275/55/20 tires. I don't have the heart to ditch good tires no matter how much they suck. Plan will be 275/60/20 when these wear out. Ride is noticably stiffer but I wouldn't say obnoxious. I've been playing with the idea of putting the .5" top spacer in when I do tires. We will see. IMG_20190131_203713.jpeg

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
2" RC strut spacer and 1.5" Zone add a leaf. Still on stock 275/55/20 tires. I don't have the heart to ditch good tires no matter how much they suck. Plan will be 275/60/20 when these wear out. Ride is noticably stiffer but I wouldn't say obnoxious. I've been playing with the idea of putting the .5" top spacer in when I do tires. We will see. View attachment 37975

Those the stock Goodyear RSAā€™s? I fucking hated those tires!!!! Someone would spit out the window in front of me and Iā€™d lose traction if I ran it over. I donā€™t even think I got 30k out of those tires before I got rid of them, I got sick of looking out the drivers side window to see where I was trying to go while unintentionally drifting around corners.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
[MENTION=4820]cdh027[/MENTION] which lift kits do you like? I know you had a couple lifted Chevys.

Skip the level kits and go straight to a quality lift kit even if it's only a 4". Stay away from rough country. I've had BDS and now have CST. If I could do it again I would go straight to bulletproof and a rear cantilever setup.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
So, bored here and thinking about leveling the truck.
I know [MENTION=10343]Bub[/MENTION] had 2 different types of leveling kits on his truck.
one style better than another ?
one brand better than another ?
[MENTION=10447]crooks[/MENTION] suggestions ?
[MENTION=148]HILROD[/MENTION] interested to know if theres any janky shit I should steer clear from

what about a mild 3 or 3.5" lift ?

I would lean towards the leveling kit because I may just have the stock wheels powdercoated and buy a new set of Toyos.
versus lifting and I may want new wheels and tires....don't need to spend "all" the moneys on this..

so as [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] would say................
and go

4" BDS with the coilover option will be perfect for you. It will actually ride better than stock.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Skip the level kits and go straight to a quality lift kit even if it's only a 4". Stay away from rough country. I've had BDS and now have CST. If I could do it again I would go straight to bulletproof and a rear cantilever setup.

with the money you were overhand throwing at your truck you should have gone legit long travel kit or solid axle swap

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info