Thoughts on Clear Bras

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Just got my hood and bumper repainted due to some bad flaking on the paint from a bad paint job. The paint has driven me crazy since owning the car. Lots of rock chips, peeling, etc... This is the last time I’m fixing the front end as I’m getting close to 100K on the subie but I hate having a beat up looking car. Who’s spent the money on a 3M clear bra- was it worth the money? What were experiences with it yellowing?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i had one on my e36 m3 and i think it worked great. it was 3m material, although a while ago... like 2003? so i'm assuming there is even better stuff now. i had it several years and don't recall any issues with yellowing or whatnot during my ownership.

i've only ever bought an sti and brz new. i think it was a big #fail on my part to not put one on both cars. i also think it is particularly helpful if you do highway driving. i think i tried to make it a point not to be too close behind someone in the brz, but in reality that doesn't really happen, i'm typically just trying to cruise at 80 in the far left and put pressure on someone who is not. at a race track i may be right behind someone's ass as well.

both cars got pockmarked. dr. colorchip i think actually works really well to help out with that.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I had it put on my Denali when it was new. No yellowing. Cost was about $400 for the bumper only. It has held up pretty good over the years. It's all about how good the installer is.

When I bought my Civic I was debating on having it installed but decided against it (me being cheap). I'm regretting that decision, wish I would have done it.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Had a 3M clear bra on my C30. No complaints and absolutely no yellowing. If I had a car where I wanted to keep the front from chipping, I wouldn't hesitate getting another one

Had bumpers, partial hood, and I think partial front quarter panels

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Would this be professionally installed ?
IF so, I would look into a product like Xpel
I feel like the term "clear bra" is "old"

Paint protection film is the new thing if I understand what you are looking to do.

Never understood the whole bra fad...my dad had one on his 911, when I was growing up. Looked so much better without it...similar to pictured :barf:

Pic1.JPG

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I had it put on my Denali when it was new. No yellowing. Cost was about $400 for the bumper only. It has held up pretty good over the years. It's all about how good the installer is.

When I bought my Civic I was debating on having it installed but decided against it (me being cheap). I'm regretting that decision, wish I would have done it.

Had a 3M clear bra on my C30. No complaints and absolutely no yellowing. If I had a car where I wanted to keep the front from chipping, I wouldn't hesitate getting another one

Had bumpers, partial hood, and I think partial front quarter panels

Xpel ultimate baby.. zero issues coming up on 6 years.. I think it comes with a 10 year guarantee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6oEgfdwUU0
What installers did you guys use???

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Never understood the whole bra fad...my dad had one on his 911, when I was growing up. Looked so much better without it...similar to pictured :barf:

Pic1.JPG

ya I remember my neighbor always having on of these on their cars but it was LOLOLOL when they would take it off for a wash and the paint would be EPIC shades apart from each other.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Mario at understated has a guy that does the xpel, ill be going in the spring, perhaps we can get a discount?
Whos Mario and who's understated? As long as the guy does quality work I'm all for it. I've seen more than a few cars with clear bras that have peeling and bubbling all over
In had Auto Image in Barrington install Xpel front end kit to my Ran 2500. Xpel reviews were very good and the install that Jeff and his crew did was flawless.
Will look them up thanks.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Just got my hood and bumper repainted due to some bad flaking on the paint from a bad paint job. The paint has driven me crazy since owning the car. Lots of rock chips, peeling, etc... This is the last time I’m fixing the front end as I’m getting close to 100K on the subie but I hate having a beat up looking car. Who’s spent the money on a 3M clear bra- was it worth the money? What were experiences with it yellowing?

I'm of two minds on this stuff.

The Clear-Bra works, no doubt. And the new stuff is basically invisible, self healing, and usually have very lengthly warranties against yellowing. Xpel's is 10 years. It is however expensive. Anything you do should include in the quote having the area's to be covered detailed to remove every swirl mark and micro-scratch. Once the bra is covering it, you'll see it forever. The Xpel Ultimate has more than done its job. I've been hit by stuff that I was sure tore the bra. And in one case I was hit with something that did tear the bra, but that thing also dug a divot into the plastic bumper, so nothing was going to save that.

On the other hand, I feel that in most cases the reasons we need Clear Bras today are because the factory finishes are so much softer and thinner than previous years. Fords are absolutely notorious for surer thin paint, and have chipped more than any car I've ever owned. And I know others have complained of the same issues.

If you already have a massive amount of chips I'd leave the car without. It will stop future ones, but you already have a damaged finish. If you repaint it then yes, I'd go for it.

Here are pics from after I had my Xpel Ultimate installed by Chicago Auto Pros.

I had the full front clip done + mirrors. So its the full hood, full bumper, full fenders, and mirrors. I can tell you that the seems do collect dirt, which is annoying. I basically have to clean the seems with a very fine bristle brush. Most times I don't clean the seems though. As part of the install package the entire front clip was detailed till it was near perfect. With white paint, they didn't have to put in as much effort as with black.

28499955058_f9fecca528_o.jpg

42324022852_ec1bc6aba1_o.jpg

27503337877_539506bf14_o.jpg

42324022872_1007da888d_o.jpg

42373216021_fbba442c3e_o.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
The term "clear bra" should be disposed of and never used again.
When I hear this, I think of the half hood protection that was THICK.

The new age paint protection film is this, usually will be sold as an entire panel installation and is barely noticeable.

I agree with others, be sure the paint is PERFECT before putting some form of clear protection over it.

Good luck to the OP in what you decide to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info