Turbo LS-Swapped 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Makes 766 HP at the Front Wheels

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
When an fbody with a junk yard tahoe motor and chinese choo choo is cheaper and a shit load more reliable I have to ask...

giphy.gif

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
is it cheaper?

you're going to need a built trans & rear end in one of those so...

Isn't it pretty much a forgone conclusion that the GM FWD trans is not reliable in high HP applications even when built?

A junkyard 4L80 with a set of clutch packs can handle 800 rwhp for years. Rear ends are a dime a dozen on the used market. I bought a 9" housing and axles for $550 last summer.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Isn't it pretty much a forgone conclusion that the GM FWD trans is not reliable in high HP applications even when built?

A junkyard 4L80 with a set of clutch packs can handle 800 rwhp for years. Rear ends are a dime a dozen on the used market. I bought a 9" housing and axles for $550 last summer.

this car has a 4T80. they're like twelve dollars and can handle stupid power.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I love this thing, but this quote damn near had me fall out of my chair...

The nice thing about transverse packages is everything is concentrated to one area making service a breeze.”

Wholly shit! Working on an LS4 is one of the biggest PITA's next to an "X" motor or a N* simply because it's a size 10 engine stuffed in a size 5 dress of an engine compartment...

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I do agree with the "why" in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think it's really a much cheaper avenue going fbody once you're balls deep into it.

How do the axles hold up? How is the suspension? My guess would be that you'd go faster and have much more consistent car with RWD? A fox body or SN95 would be a better options too since you don't need a rear end.

I get the uniqueness but I never understood why that's a priority for people.

is that 9" for $550 in?

4L80e's aren't cheap either.

As far as cost? No you need a center section. 4L80's are $400-600.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
How do the axles hold up? How is the suspension? My guess would be that you'd go faster and have much more consistent car with RWD? A fox body or SN95 would be a better options too since you don't need a rear end.

I get the uniqueness but I never understood why that's a priority for people.

As far as cost? No you need a center section. 4L80's are $400-600.

id bet the axles in this thing hold up just fine. it's not like wbodys wheel hop or anything like that.

like i said, i get what you're saying... but i just don't think a turbo f body could be had for much cheaper than this setup. that's all.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
No, just a bitch to control. I couldn't imagine it with the power that thing is making, which when you have shit bouncing around finding groves could do something.

I ran someone (down in Mexico of course) in the Impala one time and thankfully I was far enough ahead of him because I had a hard time keeping it in my lane. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info