Winter storage discussion for Fancy Pants owners

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Welcome and great looking car.

I am sure the car is a blast to drive in the winter on snow tires. As long as it isn't plowing snow as it goes. haha I would have no problem with driving the car in winter. The issue for me would be the potential for others crashing into me in bad weather. But hey, that is what insurance is for. Props to you for enjoying the car all year round.

Don't you have an awd Porsche? You driving it through the winter on snow tires yet?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Don't you have an awd Porsche? You driving it through the winter on snow tires yet?

Nope, for the reasons I posted. I don't want some person on all seasons sliding into my car.

I also plan to keep my car for many years. So I don't want the salt issues associated with long-term winter use. Corrosion and rust. So my AWD BMW carries year-round duty.

But plenty of guys run their 911 all year round. I have thought about a Carrera 4s as a DD. But the lack of storage space is a huge turn off for that. It's probably got like 2.5 sq/ft of storage space in the front trunk. haha

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I don't want some person on all seasons sliding into my car.

I also plan to keep my car for many years. So I don't want the salt issues associated with long-term winter use. Corrosion and rust.

Exactly why I would never drive my "nice" car through the winter. You should see my new F150 after the last snowstorm we had a few weeks ago. When I finally washed all the crud off it there was a shit ton of chips and small rust spots all over the damn thing. I immediately thought of all the idiots that say "its just a car, DRIVE IT!" lol

Winter absolutely destroys your shit!

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
:rofl:

I assume he means corrosion. I know Ford, and others, had issues with corrosion on aluminium parts before they made the F150 all aluminium. I doubt they solved that issue. Well, without spending a lot of money.

No. This is not the aluminum corrosion issue. Truck is only a few months old and only has 8k miles.

Its iron particles in the paint. Not a huge issue but will take some Iron-X and buffing to get out come spring, but still crazy what one snowstorm will do to a vehicle.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I've had a 2001 F150 years ago that had aluminum hood , it was the most corroded body part on that truck

I had the 2011 Mustang GT that had an aluminum hood. It had corrosion on the front edge. Many owners complained of the same issue. It didn't seem like many owners were successful in getting Ford to warranty it either. Sad that a well-known issue gets ignored.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Do you winter guys not have insurance..... Seems getting hit by someone would be my last concern. Cars can be fixed, insurance pays out, etc. But ok. Lol. Better check the humidity in the bubbles these cars sleep in for 8.5 months

Some of these cars put away for the winter are expensive. When you have an accident on your carfax the car gets way harder to sell. Even if fixed right by a reputable company they end up selling for way less money than a non-accident car. And seeing where more accidents happen in the winter...

Like I say a lot, it is about risk versus reward. Some people don't want to take the risk. With accidents or rust.

First world TCG problems right here. :bowrofl:

Easy there guy. It was a $10K used BMW. Not the usual fancy TCG mega dollar daily. lol

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Some of these cars put away for the winter are expensive. When you have an accident on your carfax the car gets way harder to sell. Even if fixed right by a reputable company they end up selling for way less money than a non-accident car. And seeing where more accidents happen in the winter...

Like I say a lot, it is about risk versus reward. Some people don't want to take the risk. With accidents or rust.

Easy there guy. It was a $10K used BMW. Not the usual fancy TCG mega dollar daily. lol

Don't forget the previously mentioned paint chips everywhere. And some people just like their cars to stay nice.

10k used BMW with 5k in modifications, 5k Gen1 Lightning, and 80k Porsche with 25k in mods brings the total to 125k...lol

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Don't forget the previously mentioned paint chips everywhere. And some people just like their cars to stay nice.

10k used BMW with 5k in modifications, 5k Gen1 Lightning, and 80k Porsche with 25k in mods brings the total to 125k...lol
But what if he has an even nicer summer car?
conspiracykeanu.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
10k used BMW with 5k in modifications,

Even with mods and maintenance, we are talking poverty level BMW. Not TCG baller status vehicle at all.

and stop hating on my vehicle collection. It's all I can afford since I am not a Union worker lol

Well to be fair, didn't you also say you were thinking of a 996 or 997 C4S to replace that BMW? That's pretty baller IMO.

I said I thought of it. But doesn't make much sense. BMW is a better DD.

But a Cayenne Turbo S on the other hand...:bowrofl:

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
But what if he has an even nicer summer car?
conspiracykeanu.jpg
As I said earlier, if I had fuck you money I guess I wouldn't care if I trashed a supercar.
Even with mods and maintenance, we are talking poverty level BMW. Not TCG baller status vehicle at all.

and stop hating on my vehicle collection. It's all I can afford since I am not a Union worker lol

I said I thought of it. But doesn't make much sense. BMW is a better DD.

But a Cayenne Turbo S on the other hand...:bowrofl:
Uh I like how you left out the Porsche. And wtf are you talking about union Money? You drive exotic German cars while I'm in junky ass Fords...lol

I actually priced out a Macon S a year or so ago. With some pretty nice options I got the sticker over 100k rather easily. That was the end of my Porsche shopping! haha

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
As I said earlier, if I had fuck you money I guess I wouldn't care if I trashed a supercar.

Uh I like how you left out the Porsche. And wtf are you talking about union Money? You drive exotic German cars while I'm in junky ass Fords...lol

I actually priced out a Macon S a year or so ago. With some pretty nice options I got the sticker over 100k rather easily. That was the end of my Porsche shopping! haha

I left the porsche and Lightning out of it because he mentioned the BMW & first world problems. Then you act like my BMW makes me fancy of something. It is a cheap car. I don't act fancy or anything because of it. I am bringing down the class of the average BMW owner. And I am ok with that. :rofl:

Plus $50K mustang > $10K BMW

Buy a used Macan as a CPO. Cheaper and a warranty. Step up your game!

And where is [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] with the thread split?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info