A 9,500 rpm production Coyote? Nope. Because VooDoo

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So this is an interesting article stating had SVT had not developed a flat plane crank motor we could have had a very different 3rd generation coyote engine.

Opportunity Cost | What Did We Miss-Out-On Because of the GT350's FPC 5.2L VooDoo V8?

A few months ago I was talking to a former Ford employee who spent a little time at SVT. He was around when the team was developing the Shelby GT350 Mustang, so naturally our conversation started to drift towards that topic. Iā€™m always interested in hearing the thoughts and theories behind why certain decisions are made during the development process, and the GT350 certainly has lots of details to explore. Eventually our conversation turned to the Flat Plane Crank (ā€œFPCā€) equipped 5.2L VooDoo engine. Thatā€™s when he laid a bit of knowledge on me that I wasnā€™t quite prepared for. He told me just what that FPC program cost the Ford enthusiast community.

Itā€™s no secret, thanks to Fordā€™s marketing team, that the VooDoo is essentially a miracle engine that defies the laws of physics. At 5.2L it was larger than production FPC V8 ever attempted by any manufacturer. The SVT engineers really took this as a opportunity to shine and flex their grey-matter for all the automotive world to see. You see; FPC V8ā€™s tend to have some nasty vibration issues that only get worse as the size of the engine, and the weight of the rotating assembly, increases. Essentially that crank configuration turns a large V8 into a paint shaker.

So in order for this engine to not rattle the rest of the car to pieces SVT had to find some creative ways to mitigate the vibrations. If youā€™ve ever been underneath a GT350 Mustang , somewhere other than the sidewalk at the exit of a car show, you have undoubtedly noticed the numerous mass dampers strewn about. Each of those heavy little jewels were placed just so by a highly educated, and decently paid, NVH engineer just so owners could enjoy their new Hi-Po Mustang with their fillings intact.

All of that time a material spent engineering around the laws of nature has a cost, and that is really the purpose of this article. I don't want to get into specifics, but the NVH mitigation accounted for over 15% of the cost of the entire program. According to my friend, if they engine program had spent the money consumed by NVH mitigation on the valvetrain we could have been enjoying a standard Cross Plane Crank (ā€œCPCā€) 5.2L V8 capable of spinning to 9,500RPM. I donā€™t know about you, but the mere thought of a factory Ford V8 turning to that high of an RPM just brings a smile to my face. Seeing as I have never really fallen in love with the VooDoo engine, that bit of news was a bit of a gut-punch.

Supposedly the SVT engineers were benchmarking against the Lexus LFA's V10 cylinder head, which I consider a good thing. That engine has a 9,000RPM redline with fuel shutoff occurring at 9,500RPM. I'm told those were the exact figures SVT was aiming for. Supposedly the valvetrain configuration required to hit those marks was tested in computer simulations, but never made it beyond that. Reportedly it was going to take some trick F1 style valve springs to go much farther.

You may have heard that the main purpose of building a FPC V8 engine is its ability to spin-up/rev faster. That is a benefit smaller displacement FPC engines enjoy over their CPC cousins (due to less rotating mass), and it was planned to be the case with the 5.2L VooDoo. However, the one-piece aluminum flywheel that was originally planned to be part of the build would not pass Ford's durability tests. It simply would not live behind 5.2L FPC engine. In its place we got dual-mass steel flywheel that wiped out any rotating mass reductions the flat plane crank would have gotten us.

Sadly, to add even more insult to injury he let me in on another little secret. SVT had tested CPC 5.2L engines with the VooDoo heads, intake manifold, headers, cams specs, etc. and found some very interesting results. After all the dust settled, the FPC engine managed to just ekk out four more horsepower than its CPC counterpart. It was determind that the meager difference was due in large part to the different firing order of the two engines. All this really made me question whether the entire endeavor was worth it. Then I remembered another SVT vehicle that a lot of people questioned the value of, the Ford GT (both generations and the original GT40 if you want to go even further back).

The Ford GT was built as a statement. It was a message to automotive world that Ford engineers can compete and win in any arena they care to enter. It used to be a saying during the early years of SVT that their actual purpose was to ā€œpolish the Oval.ā€ Essentially, make Ford look good through superior engineering. No matter how you slice it, the 5.2L VooDoo engine certainly does that. While a Coyote engine screaming at 9,500 RPM would have been impressive, it would have basically just been another in a line of great engines from SVT (Trinity, Terminator, Petunia, etc.). However; building something that had never been done before, and that most believed wasnā€™t even possible, is of the things from which legacies are made. I believe that is how history will view the VooDoo. Not as the engine that cost us a 9,500 RPM Coyote, but as the engine no other manufacture had the balls to build.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
interesting.

i mean, with how awesome new mustangs are, is the fpc gt350 market just sliding down hill?

edit... doesn't seem so. :rofl:

I was going to say, I don't think it has. The GT350 is still a special car. Even compared to the Performance Pack stage 2 cars.

Are the Voodoo heads and intake direct bolt-ons to a Coyote? (obviously minus the cams)

Yes. FRPP had a package at PRI like 3 years ago. Where it had the heads, headers, CJ intake, and cams for the CPC firing. But I don't think it was ever released. Probably becuase the new GT intake is like the GT350 intake and the gen 3 heads are much better than the older offerings. Although not VooDoo level of flow.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Yes. FRPP had a package at PRI like 3 years ago. Where it had the heads, headers, CJ intake, and cams for the CPC firing. But I don't think it was ever released. Probably becuase the new GT intake is like the GT350 intake and the gen 3 heads are much better than the older offerings. Although not VooDoo level of flow.

Yeah, I just started doing some reading on the subject.

Now are Ford engineers learning from the Voodoo engine, and slowly changing up the Coyote to handle the higher RPM, like the article referenced? Looking at the intakes, seems like the '18 intakes outperform the old Boss 302 intakes, and if the heads are getting cast similar to the Voodoo's...has anyone tried to up the RPM on the newer Coyotes? I know the people were wringing the old Boss motors up to the mid-8K range.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yeah, I just started doing some reading on the subject.

Now are Ford engineers learning from the Voodoo engine, and slowly changing up the Coyote to handle the higher RPM, like the article referenced? Looking at the intakes, seems like the '18 intakes outperform the old Boss 302 intakes, and if the heads are getting cast similar to the Voodoo's...has anyone tried to up the RPM on the newer Coyotes? I know the people were wringing the old Boss motors up to the mid-8K range.

They have updated the Coyote based on the Roadrunner and VooDoo development programs for sure. The Gen 3 motor is much better than the earlier ones. The intake design obviously takes after the GT350 design versus the Roadrunner and CJ manifold designs. For reasons of longer runner length for low-end torque. With the benefits of being able to change the runner length to have it change to a short runner to move that peak power up higher in the rpm. I have not seen flow measurements on the Gen 3 heads. But I am sure they are maximized to good torque and upper rpm power. The Coyote is always going to be a lower operating range motor with good torque production. That is what a street car needs. The VooDoo can get away with the higher peak power due to the nature of the car's "track use" bravado.

I think the real issue with the RPM is the electronics. It was a struggle to get them to rev over 8,000 rpm. Guys got up to 8,200 but said it was going to take a better crank position sensor wheel. But I think they got a little more rpm. But to go 9,500 rpm I am sure they will have to upgrade the ignition system.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Factory oil pump gears. Yes.

Again, with that RPM you have to take into account the vibrations and other factors. This means different parts to make it all work. That is why 15% of the VooDoo development cost was dealing with noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). That wasn't just from the driver's seat, but with the internals, so the engine didn't rattle and self destruct.

But like like the article points out, all the cost of the FPC would have allowed budget for a CPC and high rpm equipment in a coyote. But then again, the components to make this 9,500 rpm engine my end up being too costly to produce anyways.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I was going to say, I don't think it has. The GT350 is still a special car. Even compared to the Performance Pack stage 2 cars.

Ford does offer the AlumaXS52 or whatever that crate engine is.

580 NA HP

5.2 block
GT350 heads
Cross plane crank
Cobra Jet intake

As a side note considering im not a TCG hedgefund manager or wall streeter I may stick to the original plan of running 10s NA.

I still miss the CobraJet intake and 8k rpm shifts of my yellow car.

Circle D needs to offer them damn 10R80 converters soon too!

Steedas deeeep into the 10s at 10.3 @ 130+ in a 2018 with an untouched engine minus intake. Stock intake manifold and un opened engine.

That impresses the fuck out of me.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Ford does offer the AlumaXS52 or whatever that crate engine is.

580 NA HP

5.2 block
GT350 heads
Cross plane crank
Cobra Jet intake

As a side note considering im not a TCG hedgefund manager or wall streeter I may stick to the original plan of running 10s NA.

I still miss the CobraJet intake and 8k rpm shifts of my yellow car.

Circle D needs to offer them damn 10R80 converters soon too!

Steedas deeeep into the 10s at 10.3 @ 130+ in a 2018 with an untouched engine minus intake. Stock intake manifold and un opened engine.

That impresses the fuck out of me.
That's a full blown race car tho. Weight reduction, suspension out the ass, etc. It would cost more to mimic that car than it would to just put a Paxton on the car that's on a 15% off Christmas sale. And it would go just as fast, with the potential for a hell of a lot more.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
ive got the shift light set to 8k....and suprisingly it gets there quicker then youd think.....i couldnt imagine another 1500 rpm

I remember when I first put the CJ Intake on my car. I would hear the engine and look at the tach to get ready to shift. Just to see it was only at 6,800 and had a lot more rpm to go. :rofl:

And where is your thread for your new car? You know it's TCG approved. :fy:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info