Upcoming Tesla Road Trip... What would you like to know About?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So the wife and I just purchased tickets to the last Patriots home game this season. I’ve been wanting to see Brady play at home for a long time and let’s face it, his games are numbered.

With that being said we are taking another Tesla Road trip! Base numbers show us driving to Boston vs flying would save us around 600 dollars..... and coupled with free supercharging it costs us nothing to drive there and back.

So...... question is what would you guys want to know about from the trip? What are some things I can record, take pics of, or report back on?

We are planning to make a trip out of it. Stop in New York City the Friday before the game, visit the World Trade Center memorial, then continue on up to Boston for the weekend after Christmas. Total drive time should be 17-19 hours (if you did it straight through).

This will be the first real major road trip in the car. We did one to Nashville, but that was in the summer and only stopped 3 brief times. This time it says we will stop about 5-6 times each way.

So post what you want to know about below so I can make sure to cover those items on the trip!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Going out that way, where do you plan on stopping? Or do you let the car just decide.

As far as supercharger stops, I just let the car decide. There are so many chargers off all the main highways that my route would be the same in a gas car.

The navigation screen will tell you all the stops and plot the course before you set off. (I will get a pic of this for the trip)

We are spending the night about an hour and a half outside New York off the highway. Brand new hotel and it has 4 Tesla destination chargers.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Stopping 3 times to and from nashville, was that out of necessity for charging or cuz you just wanted to stop?

That drive from my house which is significantly north of you, is 530 miles, 8 and a half hours... im doing that drive with one stop, two max, depending what I'm driving.

3 times because the car needed it. I have the 75kw pack instead of the more expensive 100kw pack. The 100D could probably make the trip with 1 or 2 real short stops

I stopped in effingham, mt Vernon, and kuttawa, ky

Remember the car only charges enough for me to make it to the next supercharger. As the car approaches 80-90% full the charge rate slows down because the pack cannot take 96kws input like it would when it’s 20 or 30% full.

So I charge for a short bit. Jump on the highway for another 2-3 hours then pause to charge for 15-20.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
As far as supercharger stops, I just let the car decide. There are so many chargers off all the main highways that my route would be the same in a gas car.

The navigation screen will tell you all the stops and plot the course before you set off. (I will get a pic of this for the trip)

We are spending the night about an hour and a half outside New York off the highway. Brand new hotel and it has 4 Tesla destination chargers.

So with it being 20* outside, what's your range currently?

Also, it's 100% technicality, but you said you're driving there for free... but you had to choose this hotel which is likely more than other hotels, you're going to buy snacks and shit when you stop at other places to charge, etc... yeah you won't be purchasing gas, but it's technically not free.- and of course as i said- a nitpick.

3 times because the car needed it. I have the 75kw pack instead of the more expensive 100kw pack. The 100D could probably make the trip with 1 or 2 real short stops

Remember the car only charges enough for me to make it to the next supercharger. As the car approaches 80-90% full the charge rate slows down because the pack cannot take 96kws input like it would when it’s 20 or 30% full.

So I charge for a short bit. Jump on the highway for another 2-3 hours then pause to charge for 15-20.

This is just me, but having to stop every 2-3 hours would frustrate me.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

Also, it's 100% technicality, but you said you're driving there for free... but you had to choose this hotel which is likely more than other hotels, you're going to buy snacks and shit when you stop at other places to charge, etc... yeah you won't be purchasing gas, but it's technically not free.- and of course as i said- a nitpick.

This is just me, but having to stop every 2-3 hours would frustrate me.

I didn't have to chose the hotel specifically because of the charger. I either charged overnight or spent 20 mins at the supercharger before pulling into the hotel.

I chose the hotel because it was right off the highway and had 4 chargers. Also for cost, its the same.... Its a brand new Fairfield Inn and Suites. I think its 102 dollars a night for a king bed? I travel for work and thats pretty reasonable.

So def not some over the top Bed and breakfast. You would be surprised how many little hotel chains have chargers off the highway. In Boston I think we are going to stay at a Holiday Inn Express. It also has 2 Tesla chargers. (Again I don't need them as there are superchargers right around the corner).

When you get into a larger city there are definitely more expensive options that have destination chargers. I mean it makes sense given the price of the car. Most of these people are not going to stay at a best western.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The whole stopping every 2-3 hours doesn't bother me. It actually made the Nashville trip feel shorter. I know that doesn't make sense.

Ive always said if you are a straight up Road Warrior this car probably is not for you. But if you have a family, kids etc.... there is a good chance you are stopping this much. When I went to Northern Wisconsin last year for the 4th we did a car caravan with 3 other cars. One car being an SUV with a 4 year old. We def stopped every 3ish hours, and for 10-20 minutes at a time. Kids get hungry, cranky, have to be changed or use the bathroom.

Again still not a car for everyone.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would like to hear and read about it. I'm a road warrior myself but most likely switch to what u were saying.

My biggest question would be, how sure are of the Brady playing in this game. And would u be disappointed if he sits the last quarter?

I was actually just looking up his past years. In 2016 and 2017 they were already guaranteed to go to the playoffs and he played out every game.

I really hope that continues. He has never been the type of player to not start a game or simply sit out because they have already won.

If he sits the final quarter I won’t be mad. The dudes 41. I would just like to see him play.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

Sorry I missed this and forgot to answer. It’s difficult to give you an exact number as many factors play into this. (Heat settings, weight, outside temp, my speed etc)

But a general guess based on recent driving would say at 70-75mph I should get about 215 miles per charge down from the 250s in the summer.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Average charging speed would be interesting. I recently spent a few weeks in an X and 3, and supercharging speeds proved wildly inconsistent, even using best practices by Tesla and accounting for slower charge rates near full. These weren’t urban units, either. Those consistently delivered as-advertised charge speed.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Average charging speed would be interesting. I recently spent a few weeks in an X and 3, and supercharging speeds proved wildly inconsistent, even using best practices by Tesla and accounting for slower charge rates near full. These weren’t urban units, either. Those consistently delivered as-advertised charge speed.

I have experienced this as well. Randomly both local and once on my Nashville trip. Normally it’s fixed by simply moving to a different stall or by unplugging and plugging back in. If it persists you can call the number on the supercharger itself to report the low speed.

On my Nashville trip I plugged in once and only got 55kw speed vs the advertised 96-100kw. I moved 1 stall over and it instantly went to 98kws it was very odd.

At each stop I will report what charge Speed I am receiving.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I'd like to see how the car performs with about 600lbs of weight in the trunk. Can u add unnecessary weight to the vehicle for research purposes?? Really curious to see how these perform long distances under a load. Thanks

600 extra pounds? Idk if I will hit that. I will have luggage and an extra person in the car with me but doubt I’ll hit over 200 extra lbs.

If you want to play around with numbers check out abetterrouteplanner.com

There you can chose your Tesla, choose weather conditions, speed, extra eight, etc etc and it will tell you where to stop and what energy you will use.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Can you plug the Tesla into a standard outlet if needed? I know it would take forever to charge but just wondering.

Yup. As a matter of fact it’s doing just that at work right now as we speak. Usually get about 40 free miles of driving everyday from the office. (Pic below)

I wouldn’t recommend this though unless it’s an emergency. Tesla also provides you with an adapter for a 14-50 outlet and an adapter to use ChargePoint chargers etc.

You can also charge at camp grounds if you are really in a bind. Again, you would have to have totally ignored all warnings for a while to get stuck in this situation.

IMG_1634.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
hoping for good weather ?
tires handle snow okay ?

All season tires, and the car is AWD. So I am not expecting any issues. Car also has air suspension I can raise whenever. We are planning to take the Tesla unless the news is predicting a major event. In that case we would be forced to take the Jeep. But I would prefer to utilize the Tesla.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

I stopped in effingham, mt Vernon, and kuttawa, ky

the rate declines earlier than that, which is another reason why spending the money on buying a big battery helps ease the pain of charge times. you not only pay for less charge stops, but faster ones at that.

J1GoBSn.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info