What is it about Toyota that makes them so reliable?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
interesting reddit thread comments -

https://np.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/9zo6ml/what_is_it_about_toyota_that_makes_them_so/eab0c7v/

Another thing about Toyota R&D, they have regional design houses, with the aim to “localized” parts design as much as possible, even the smallest design (engineering) details.

For example, the inside ribs of a Hilux’s wheels in Brazil is about 5mm thicker than the ones in Thailand, so they can withstand 12G, instead 10G, because they did a survey of Brazil potholes, found out they are 20% bigger compared to a Thailand pothole.

Vietnam tires have tickers sidewalls, because people on Hanoi like to climb over curbs. South Africa’s absorbers are 2mm thicker, because people less likely to brake when they see a rock. Air intakes for tropical countries are placed 15mm higher, because there have more floods. Tiny changes which are easily managed at parts manufacturing level, but have significant impact in reducing failure rate.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Wouldn't you just make all the wheels 5mm thicker, and all the tires 2mm thicker, and all the intakes 15mm higher?

The cost difference would likely be less than different parts in different areas... right?

i'd assume once you have some lessons learned that the design for everything would be more standardized in the future

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
why would they though? how much does the average person need to putz around? it's not like my mom would trade off more hp for less reliability.

incremental returns on hp probably aren't nearly as good as those on reliability, particularly since that reputation alone will cause purchase decisions and loyalty in their favor.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
why would they though? how much does the average person need to putz around? it's not like my mom would trade off more hp for less reliability.

incremental returns on hp probably aren't nearly as good as those on reliability, particularly since that reputation alone will cause purchase decisions and loyalty in their favor.

Agreed...I get their game and it works for them.

As a car enthusiast though, their cars are just plain boring, and outside of the old school Supra and FJ's and some modded Tacomas...you rarely see a Toyota at a car show worth looking at.

Porsche is more exciting as they pull off the reliability and the performance, but does come at a cost.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Not necessarily, a difference in suspension especially may make sense regionally.

Toyota (and Japanese core culture) are intensely focused on continual improvement and iterating especially in production.

So it's worth understanding this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_manufacturing#Toyota_develops_TPS

And this man: Taiichi Ohno

This.

Almost anyone who works in automotive manufacturing or engineering has the book "The Toyota Way", or at least has a copy somewhere close by in their office. Toyota basically created continuous improvement culture and lean manufacturing.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah. don't wanna admit it but that's a realllllly good looking car.

far better than any current ford sedan, without a doubt.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
ford nutswingers:

WHO CARES, THEY BUILD BORING SHIT

(conveniently forgetting ford won't be making a single car (aside from mustang of course) going forward since they couldn't make reliable cars, handing market share directly to companys who actually can build reliable vehicles)

:rofl:

I've been a "Ford" guy for a LONG time, but the vast majority of what they make is hot garbage.

My 5 year old Mustang Convertible has countless small problems creeping up that are all indicative of just low quality and not learning lessons...

Problems that a 15 year old Toyota Solara simply doesn't have....

I know it's not apples to apples, but it's pretty clear my Mustang was built to survive just past it's warranty...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I've been a "Ford" guy for a LONG time, but the vast majority of what they make is hot garbage.

My 5 year old Mustang Convertible has countless small problems creeping up that are all indicative of just low quality and not learning lessons...

Problems that a 15 year old Toyota Solara simply doesn't have....

I know it's not apples to apples, but it's pretty clear my Mustang was built to survive just past it's warranty...

planned obsolescence

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
compared to what. quick search shows comparable models of honda accords, have less HP than the camery.

Just their overall lineup. They really don't have any car or SUV outside the big Sequoia that goes much over 300hp. The Sequoia and Tundra have decently powered V8's, but still lower than their competitors.

They play it safe with boring commuters. It works well.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
planned obsolescence

I honestly don't even think its just planned obsolescence, I put VERY little mileage on my car and the list of issues it has currently are not acceptable in my opinion for a car with 24,000 miles on it and its not just My car, these are all well known issues for SN197 Mustangs.

Top of my head:
Seat Bolster Wear
Convertible Top fray
Clutch (High RPM Lock Out, fixed with Aftermarket Clutch)
Front Control Arms/bushings (There is a TSB on it, won't recall since its not a safety issue)

Meanwhile, what kind of significant known issues are there on 5 year old Camrys?

Maybe I'm just being picky, but the sticker price on my Mustang when it was new was ~$46,000 and I feel like the leather shouldn't fall apart after only 24,000 miles....

If I could buy an attractive V-8 powered manual convertible from a foreign manufacturer, I'd trade my Mustang in a heartbeat, but there simply isn't competition there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info