Help me setup Nitrous on my LQ9 powered 300ZX

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Winter is here and I want to setup this nitrous kit thats been sitting around that came with my LQ9 powered 300ZX. I'm a nitrous noob.

For starters, here is what the car has in terms of pertinent mods:
LQ9 with 317 heads ~30k on it
MSD atomic EFI(self tuning)
BTR Stg 3 NA cam 231/242 .617"/.592 112+2
7.400" BTR Pushrods
BTR 6.660 springs
BTR Titanium retainers
LS6 Intake/TB
ARP Headbolts

Exhaust:
Kooks 3" headers with cats to 2.5"
Stillen exhaust

Fuel:
Walbro 400
Aeromotive FPR
8AN feed from pump to regulator
6an to fuel rails

Car made about 420whp on a dynojet. Runs well.

Moving on to the kit...here's some pictures of what I have.

20EQju2.jpg

XN8Zmib.png

engine bay picture

OW9TbpR.png

From what I can tell, this looks like it was supposed to be used on a carb setup..which obviously wont work for me. But it looks like there's 2 solenoids there. Also looks like a wet setup? Can someone explain whats all there? Also What else will I need?

Ideally, I'm looking to just run a 100 shot max. Car is a casual use, weekend only nice weather street car. From what I've read, people run 200+on these motors, so I should be well within the safe zone, which is what I want. From the fuel perspective it seems like I should be OK considering what I want to run and my fuel mods that I already have...but this is all from just preliminary reading.

How should it be plumbed, what will I need to buy, etc... I was reading about needing some WOT switches, etc...you guys tell me.

Thanks!

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
you have a carb plate, looks like a purge valve, fuel pressure safety switch, and your nitrous and fuel solenoids, I would get a ls style plate made for that intake, you want a wot throttle activation switch and window switch, you can buy units that do both, and a bottle heater a nice warm bottle hits hard

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
you have a carb plate, looks like a purge valve, fuel pressure safety switch, and your nitrous and fuel solenoids, I would get a ls style plate made for that intake, you want a wot throttle activation switch and window switch, you can buy units that do both, and a bottle heater a nice warm bottle hits hard

yes, perfect! this is exactly the type of information I'm looking for! I'll start looking around. Thank you so much, ill post updates in this thread as I purchase the parts.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
lol...yeah I added this baby to the stable. Actually found it for a buddy, who ended up buying it, we did all the work to it...sans v8 conversion. Was an original twin turbo car, previous original owner blew up the VG one too many times and decided to swap it. He ended up buying a newer CTS-V and this thing became a garage ornament for him. I happened to stumble upon it and suggested it for my friend who purchased it.

We installed new tein suspension, powercoated rebuilt calipers, updated JDM tailamps, new steering wheel, Michelin pilot tires, new shifter bushings, all maintenance, etc...well my buddy is a tweak and drove it for a season and was ready to boost it. He's the one that actually bought the NOS kit. He ultimately decided it would be better to not dump buttloads of cash into an older car so I bought it from him and have just been doing small fixes here and there. I guess I'll start a build thread for this when my VR-4 is all squared away.

But in the meantime, the main catalyst for this thread is because my cousin has been talkin mad shit with his 2g DSM...he's got a ~400hp setup. But I wanted to make sure when I smoke his ass AND get it on camera, that I completely obliterate him so he loses all morale. :D were gonna do it for fun anyways, and probably wont happen till spring..which gives me plenty of time to perfect this setup and get it squared away.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Yah that carb spraybar kit looks janky as hell like something Slim would've ran... Look at Nitrous Outlet stuff. If you are just spraying it on the street sure go with a bottle heater but they don't compare to a nitrous bath where the whole bottle sits in hot water and is heated evenly throughout and hits way harder than a bottle heater ever will and is also safer on the bottles longevity. I made mine cheap with a thermostat controller and a heating element with less than 100 invested. Obviously it needs to be plugged into a generator or inverter so these are for the true nitrous guys at the track.

Once you spray it you won't want to just spray only 100 and you will become a Nitrous Junky. Be fair warned it's highly addictive...:fy::trump:

Attachments

• 20170408_222743.jpg
    20170408_222743.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20170408_140632.jpg
    20170408_140632.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20170408_222712.jpg
    20170408_222712.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 71
  • 41JN72RY4WL._SX355_.jpg
    41JN72RY4WL._SX355_.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 74

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
yeah the body is an 7.5/8 out of 10. It needs some TLC to make it perfect..but honestly I'm not looking to make a show car out of it. Its a great cruiser with the T-TOPS, when I do the spoiler we'll likely fix up any dings/dents and other imperfections

Keep the suggestions coming on the N20 setup! @Mr.SBF I probably wouldn't need something that hardcore but thanks for educating me.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Yah that carb spraybar kit looks janky as hell like something Slim would've ran... Look at Nitrous Outlet stuff. If you are just spraying it on the street sure go with a bottle heater but they don't compare to a nitrous bath where the whole bottle sits in hot water and is heated evenly throughout and hits way harder than a bottle heater ever will and is also safer on the bottles longevity. I made mine cheap with a thermostat controller and a heating element with less than 100 invested. Obviously it needs to be plugged into a generator or inverter so these are for the true nitrous guys at the track.

Once you spray it you won't want to just spray only 100 and you will become a Nitrous Junky. Be fair warned it's highly addictive...:fy::trump:

Throw the kit on Craigslist for 100-150 less bottle, get the bottle re-certified (likely expired) and buy this or similar. That way you've got a spare bottle and a thought out kit not something you're adapting. While possible I really think it's more headache that it's worth. You're dealing with a fairly built engine not some JY wonder 5.3L here. I would jankify something like that myself but I'm also well janky like that.

https://www.nitrousexpress.com/20935-10-gm-ls-3-bolt-nitrous-plate-system-without-bottle.html

I would consider colder plugs, a window switch/WOT switch as mandatory as well. If you're looking to hack job it I would get rebuild kits for the noids, a plate or fogger and new jets. The jets are brand specific so there's a decent chance you won't be able to use yours from the plate for the nitrous and the fuel jets will be way way too big anyways.

I would also advise having a WB on the car when doing this if not keeping it on there.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Throw the kit on Craigslist for 100-150 less bottle, get the bottle re-certified (likely expired) and buy this or similar. That way you've got a spare bottle and a thought out kit not something you're adapting. While possible I really think it's more headache that it's worth. You're dealing with a fairly built engine not some JY wonder 5.3L here. I would jankify something like that myself but I'm also well janky like that.

https://www.nitrousexpress.com/20935-10-gm-ls-3-bolt-nitrous-plate-system-without-bottle.html

I would consider colder plugs, a window switch/WOT switch as mandatory as well. If you're looking to hack job it I would get rebuild kits for the noids, a plate or fogger and new jets. The jets are brand specific so there's a decent chance you won't be able to use yours from the plate for the nitrous and the fuel jets will be way way too big anyways.

I would also advise having a WB on the car when doing this if not keeping it on there.

Yah I saw that when looking around for plates. That may not be a bad option. As it sits, a ls1/6 plate will run me $150 minimum...from ebay. Then probably another $100+ for the WOT/window switches, plus I"ll need to buy 50, 75 and 100 shot jets. I'll report back with some questions/findings as I look around some more. I currently dont have a wbo2 on the car but I can see why it would be useful. I'll keep an eye out for one..sucks that I just sold 1 recently :(

also, plate for sure? no fogger nozzle right? I'm assuming plate for better more consistent distribution? plus it looks way cleaner

Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info