How much will this 69 ZL1 go for at Mecum?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1018-333995/1969-chevrolet-camaro-zl1/

No. 4 of 69 Built

5J4Br68.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It really depends. I remember when Reggie Jackson sold one of them everyone was shocked at how low it went. Well if you had know the history on the car there was a reason it didn't sell for big numbers.

Is this car a rebody? All original sheet metal? GM sheet metal used in the restoration? Original motor or does it have a repaired block? Does it have the original trans, 12 bolt, etc. All original parts, documentation, and so on? All that stuff is important to get big money out of it.

The owner of the company I work for bought one from a drag racer who turned into a drunk and let the car sit for years and years. The biggest score was the fact that the owner removed the 427 and installed a 454. But kept the original 427. Most of these cars were raced and had different motors because they blew up. At the time my boss bought the car it was only one of two ZL1 that had their original motors. Years later with the internet, many block and pieces were matched up with their original cars. I know guys who had motors with the VIN stamped in the block and held out until the owners of the car stepped up and paid for them.

So that being said, not much is posted on the Mecum site about this car. So if it was all those great things you would think they would be advertising that.

It will be fun to watch and see where it ends up. My guess is no sale.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
It really depends. I remember when Reggie Jackson sold one of them everyone was shocked at how low it went. Well if you had know the history on the car there was a reason it didn't sell for big numbers.

Is this car a rebody? All original sheet metal? GM sheet metal used in the restoration? Original motor or does it have a repaired block? Does it have the original trans, 12 bolt, etc. All original parts, documentation, and so on? All that stuff is important to get big money out of it.

The owner of the company I work for bought one from a drag racer who turned into a drunk and let the car sit for years and years. The biggest score was the fact that the owner removed the 427 and installed a 454. But kept the original 427. Most of these cars were raced and had different motors because they blew up. At the time my boss bought the car it was only one of two ZL1 that had their original motors. Years later with the internet, many block and pieces were matched up with their original cars. I know guys who had motors with the VIN stamped in the block and held out until the owners of the car stepped up and paid for them.

So that being said, not much is posted on the Mecum site about this car. So if it was all those great things you would think they would be advertising that.

It will be fun to watch and see where it ends up. My guess is no sale.

Very very true. Chances are this car had the hell campaigned out of it and may have the consequences of that applied.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Looks like it bid up to $380k and did not meet the reserve.

This from William on Yenko.net.

No secret that I have been involved with ZL1 #4 since Camaro Parts Exchange acquired it in 1987. It became our in-house restoration project, completed 1989. The current owner purchased it from Doug Martz in 1995. Since it stayed here in SE WI, I remained involved. Over the last 31 years, the car has been in climate-controlled storage. During that time, the car was continually improved as more was learned about ZL1s. Also, with the help of Dan Palchanes, we were able to learn the history of the car back to its original owner. Dan provided [at NO charge] vintage newspaper ads, NOS Hauser dealer emblem and contact information for the original owner. We have vintage photos of it when Hauser raced it and as acquired by the original owner.

The complete history of #4 is known back to March 4, 1969 when it rolled off the assembly line. Ownership history is an important factor for those considering adding one to their collection as some ‘restored’ ZL1 Camaros had lengthy drag racing histories and were extensively modified. Several of these are “rebody” restorations. Some disclosed at auction, some not. Others do not have their original body tags. While #4 was raced, initially for the 1970 NHRA season, it was never cut. There is no need to question its provenance.

The ZL1 market is strong. This year several have sold; a pair for $1.2m at Mecum Kissimmee and another at Barrett-Jackson AZ for $770k. Another was sold privately by Legendary in Canada; they have another in their collection. I think Peter knows what he is doing.

There was no expectation that #4 would establish a ZL1 auction record-at either end. The owner is a reasonable man. See you at Mecum Indy 2019.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info