Forum Register Members Casino Live Posting Feed Garage Arcade Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Chicago Garage > The Garage > Automotive Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree237Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #151
 
Ron Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,554
Casino cash: $12409355
0.83 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
The Turbo I6 car makes great torque. I can't really see someone complaining about that. Early twins are small and very responsive. The single turbo has a split scroll and are small to spool quickly. Add a tune and they get even better. They really make torque down low and feel like a big v8 once tuned.

Tuning is pretty cheap for most of them. MHD offers great software and off the shelf maps that are pretty proven. With MHD you use an android device as the flash tuner. Buy the MHD software in the google app store for $100-150. You will have to check prices as I am kind of guessing as I bought this all a long while ago. Once you have the software on your android device you can flash your car. It installs MHD and a stock map. The off the shelf map pack is like $50. They offer maps for stock vehicles, small mods, and full bolt-on applications. Each pack comes with that stage tune in a 87, 91, 93, 95, e30, and e50. E85 mix maps are additional. They also offer a flex fuel tune set up. But you need a flex fuel sensor and other hardware. You can also get custom tunes by several well-known tuners that use MHD. Then you can get the data logging pack for $50. Which is a smart idea but not required.

You are welcome to drive my e90 335xi to see what a bolt-on car on stage 3 MHD is like. It's an automatic but that is tuned as well. xHP has software that is like MHD using an android device. It made a big difference in the way the trans works and shifts. It is also partially customizable inside the app. Shift points, shift firmness in M mode, and so on. Both are great if you own a BMW Turbo I6.


https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.n54&hl=en_US
If you get the m boost option in MHD , you can get free software to tune yourself. MHD tunes are really conservative...my car feels like la turd with their stage 2+ 95 octane. Although using tunerpro to tune it is an insane learning curve...nothing makes sense in it
Pressure Ratio likes this.
Ron Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #152
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,256
Casino cash: $74402076
3.11 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
If you get the m boost option in MHD , you can get free software to tune yourself. MHD tunes are really conservative...my car feels like la turd with their stage 2+ 95 octane. Although using tunerpro to tune it is an insane learning curve...nothing makes sense in it
Ya, that is another great option. I have not bothered to mess with a tune with this car yet as I was busy with the Porsche. For now, I have v8 Stage 3+ 93 map on my car. It is an improvement for sure. The power curve is smoother versus the v7 maps. But I also know an OTS map is going to be conservative. This is my DD so I am ok with that for now. lol A few local guys offered to help me with self-tuning with it. Maybe come spring I will take a crack at it.

I bought the Motiv Flex-fuel sensor kit and fuel lines last fall. I have yet to install that stuff. So this spring I should be back modding and tuning the 335i. I have a lot of E85 around me. So that would be the best solution anyways to make great power and be safe.
Pressure Ratio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #153
 
Ron Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,554
Casino cash: $12409355
0.83 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
Ya, that is another great option. I have not bothered to mess with a tune with this car yet as I was busy with the Porsche. For now, I have v8 Stage 3+ 93 map on my car. It is an improvement for sure. The power curve is smoother versus the v7 maps. But I also know an OTS map is going to be conservative. This is my DD so I am ok with that for now. lol A few local guys offered to help me with self-tuning with it. Maybe come spring I will take a crack at it.

I bought the Motiv Flex-fuel sensor kit and fuel lines last fall. I have yet to install that stuff. So this spring I should be back modding and tuning the 335i. I have a lot of E85 around me. So that would be the best solution anyways to make great power and be safe.
My car gets major throttle closures and spark corrections with MHD tunes. Mostly because I don't give a crap about their bolt on reccomendations. I put a DCI, meth kit, and a big IC and tuned the car on E40 to 24psi on stock turbos.

When the cooler air hit I dialed it back to 21 psi, 14 degrees timing, 12.6 afr. Runs awesome...rarely see above a 2-3 correction on a single cylinder, and throttle runs consistent mid 70%. OTS tunes are great if you want a DD to run 13's....but the MHD maps run so rich my mileage was shit.

If you do get the M-boost I can float you my tune to play with. Spark and Vanos tables are all based off the IS tables...it'll hold boost to redline until I drop it to 20psi before the shift.
Ron Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #154
The Midnight Sweeper
 
SleeperLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sandia Mountain
Posts: 10,571
Casino cash: $69672675
2.75 per day
Default

Any info on e39 i6 engines?
__________________
2010 Toyota Tundra 4wd SR5 TRD Offroad
2017 Can Am Maverick Max X3 XDS

SleeperLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #155
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,256
Casino cash: $74402076
3.11 per day
Default

@Ron Vogel if you could send them to me I'd like to check them out. My email is [email protected]

I know why they went to throttle closures. Control boost limits and keep the turbos spooled. The v7 maps I ran didn't do that. But I hardly ever see closures with the v8 maps. And I have inlets so you think I might have boost issues lol

My fuel pressure was never far off from stock. V7 maps were maybe one mpg less. But like you said, the ots maps have room for improvement all over the place.
Pressure Ratio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #156
WOW.
 
IDAFC21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Avondale, AZ
Posts: 38,577
Casino cash: $106615529
8.86 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
The single turbo has a split scroll and are small to spool quickly. Add a tune and they get even better. They really make torque down low and feel like a big v8 once tuned.
I love my N55. In normal street driving conditions, it gets to 60 with so little effort. I believe these things make full torque BELOW 2k rpms, so the power is always there when you want it. Someday I may tune this, but honestly I haven't felt the need for it yet.
__________________
2014 ///M235i_____________________________________________ _____2004 Monaro
IDAFC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #157
 
Ron Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,554
Casino cash: $12409355
0.83 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
@Ron Vogel if you could send them to me I'd like to check them out. My email is [email protected]

I know why they went to throttle closures. Control boost limits and keep the turbos spooled. The v7 maps I ran didn't do that. But I hardly ever see closures with the v8 maps. And I have inlets so you think I might have boost issues lol

My fuel pressure was never far off from stock. V7 maps were maybe one mpg less. But like you said, the ots maps have room for improvement all over the place.
Yeah, no problem. I need inlets!

Obviously the tune would be off from the inlets...but the vanos and spark tables are there. Might have to play with boost offset and some PID. I'll bundle one of the SPXX tunes, and the IS file. I dont know what DME you have, but these are for I8aos. Took me forever to fine the IS file online. I'm at work, so will send over tomorrow when I'm home
Ron Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #158
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 85,630
Casino cash: $121350000
19.67 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval4life View Post
Im loving that twin turbo 6er life


DEEEETS
__________________
01 525i
01 turbo pricks
13 gas 3500hd cclb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
TCG: We pull vanity fair models in our F150ís because Teslaís are unsafe.
Yaj Yak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #159
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 85,630
Casino cash: $121350000
19.67 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperLS View Post
Any info on e39 i6 engines?
i have a baby one... runs plenty well for me, gets crazy mpg even with me beating on it constantly.

have to get it revving to have it pull but it's torquey and goes ok.
SleeperLS likes this.
Yaj Yak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #160
 
blueoval4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 2,672
Casino cash: $2001
0.65 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
DEEEETS

Nothing exciting. 2018 X3 M40i. It does scooooooooot. Need to order a JB4 soon.



Horsepower: 355 hp

MPG: 20 city / 27 highway


Dimensions: 186″ L x 74-75″ W x 66″ H


Curb weight: 4,277 lbs


Engine: 3.0 L 6-cylinder


Torque: 369 lb-ft




blueoval4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #161
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 85,630
Casino cash: $121350000
19.67 per day
Default

can you post on here before you sell it in 3 weeks please
crooks likes this.
Yaj Yak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #162
The Midnight Sweeper
 
SleeperLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sandia Mountain
Posts: 10,571
Casino cash: $69672675
2.75 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
i have a baby one... runs plenty well for me, gets crazy mpg even with me beating on it constantly.

have to get it revving to have it pull but it's torquey and goes ok.


any engine issues so far?
SleeperLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #163
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 85,630
Casino cash: $121350000
19.67 per day
Default

nodda.

oil changes are interesting, since it's a 2.5 liter engine that takes 8 quarts... but aside from that, hums like a sewing machine and rips at 100 mph barely trying getting 30 mpg
SleeperLS likes this.
Yaj Yak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #164
 
blueoval4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 2,672
Casino cash: $2001
0.65 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperLS View Post


any engine issues so far?



The I6 in the E39 platform are mechanically sound and have very few issues other than you typical maintenance. They will easy go well over 200k and still perform flawlessly if taken care of. I have had multiple 150K+ I6 BMWs from 1995-2011 and all have run like champs without any major issues. I think the worse thing I had to deal with was thermostat on wifes 2010 X5. Damn thing was at the bottom of engine in fender well. But other than that nothing to complain about.
Yaj Yak and SleeperLS like this.
blueoval4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:20 AM   #165
 
Ron Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,554
Casino cash: $12409355
0.83 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
@Ron Vogel if you could send them to me I'd like to check them out. My email is [email protected]

I know why they went to throttle closures. Control boost limits and keep the turbos spooled. The v7 maps I ran didn't do that. But I hardly ever see closures with the v8 maps. And I have inlets so you think I might have boost issues lol

My fuel pressure was never far off from stock. V7 maps were maybe one mpg less. But like you said, the ots maps have room for improvement all over the place.
I emailed the files, and a second email of the xdf files. Coming from my Amazon email
Ron Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #166
Bru
Super Moderator
 
Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36,655
Casino cash: $2147483647
8.42 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post


Apparently very bad. Out of curiosity, I inquired about an extended service plan from a company that the BMW forums spoke highly of, and they came back with $5,800 for this car

Iíll start a new thread. Iím buying something, but donít know what yet. Some non-BMWs on the table too.
Yaj Yak and bikrboy128 like this.
__________________
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #167
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 85,630
Casino cash: $121350000
19.67 per day
Default

Yaj Yak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #168
 
blueoval4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 2,672
Casino cash: $2001
0.65 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
Apparently very bad. Out of curiosity, I inquired about an extended service plan from a company that the BMW forums spoke highly of, and they came back with $5,800 for this car

I’ll start a new thread. I’m buying something, but don’t know what yet. Some non-BMWs on the table too.

Not surprised. When I had my 750LI. The 3rd party warranty providers would not even touch the damn thing.
Bru likes this.
blueoval4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #169
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,256
Casino cash: $74402076
3.11 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
Apparently very bad. Out of curiosity, I inquired about an extended service plan from a company that the BMW forums spoke highly of, and they came back with $5,800 for this car

I’ll start a new thread. I’m buying something, but don’t know what yet. Some non-BMWs on the table too.
Ya, you are gonna get big quotes for extended warranties on BMW cars.

I am pretty sure a couple of years ago they changed the CPO and is not transferable anymore. So unless you buy a CPO from a dealer you can't keep it as a warrantied CPO.



The way to think about a BMW without a warranty is to think of not spending money unless you have to. Take this car for example, if you have repairs over the next few years would they exceed $5,800? If you don't you come out ahead. Could you get bitten and be on the line for a repair for more than $5,800? It is possible. Chances are you would not have a large repair bill like that.

I see it a car like a BMW out of warranty will probably cost you $1,000 - $1,500 a year to maintain. Budget for repairs that may or may not come. That way you are ready if they do come. Also, find a good BMW independent shop for repairs. There are huge savings over the dealership.


Then lastly, ask yourself, "Do I like to gamble?". haha
Pressure Ratio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #170
Forum Sponsor
 
The Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,547
Casino cash: $27101800
2.49 per day
Default

We just took in a Audi s4 that leaks from the oil pan and itís 24 hours of labor plus parts
__________________
send me a pm if you are wanting to buy a new ford or a pre driven vehicle
The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #171
Forum Sponsor
 
The Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,547
Casino cash: $27101800
2.49 per day
Default

And the car just has 59k on odo
The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #172
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,256
Casino cash: $74402076
3.11 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
I emailed the files, and a second email of the xdf files. Coming from my Amazon email
Sorry, I had messed up my knee last week and it really messed up my schedule. I saw the emails but have not opened them yet. I appreciate the help. I'll open the emails and take a look at everything this weekend.

Thanks again!
Pressure Ratio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #173
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,256
Casino cash: $74402076
3.11 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
We just took in a Audi s4 that leaks from the oil pan and itís 24 hours of labor plus parts
My BMW had a leaking oil pan. It didn't take that long to do it. Not even half that labor time. And mine has a front diff and axles that have to be removed because they go through the oil pan. lol


Owning a German car out of warranty isn't for everyone. I have been very fortunate with mine. Mine was purchased cheaply in part to negotiating more off due to the oil pan repair, the car already had many know issues fixed, and I have had nothing break since I have had it.

Used cars like mine were going for $14K without any real repairs or maintenance done. I paid $11K for a car with a lot of work done, have another $4K in repairs/maintenance/performance mods, and have a car that is in tip-top shape. I see my $15K car as a good deal versus me buying a new(er) car for $30K to $50K.

I love the car and also have funds for repairs as needed. But again, repairs are a lot cheaper than car payments every month on a car that is going to have worse depreciation.

Different strokes for different folks.
Yaj Yak and The Beast like this.
Pressure Ratio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #174
Bru
Super Moderator
 
Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36,655
Casino cash: $2147483647
8.42 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
Ya, you are gonna get big quotes for extended warranties on BMW cars.

I am pretty sure a couple of years ago they changed the CPO and is not transferable anymore. So unless you buy a CPO from a dealer you can't keep it as a warrantied CPO.



The way to think about a BMW without a warranty is to think of not spending money unless you have to. Take this car for example, if you have repairs over the next few years would they exceed $5,800? If you don't you come out ahead. Could you get bitten and be on the line for a repair for more than $5,800? It is possible. Chances are you would not have a large repair bill like that.

I see it a car like a BMW out of warranty will probably cost you $1,000 - $1,500 a year to maintain. Budget for repairs that may or may not come. That way you are ready if they do come. Also, find a good BMW independent shop for repairs. There are huge savings over the dealership.


Then lastly, ask yourself, "Do I like to gamble?". haha

All fair points. Another reason I might be OK gambling is that I donít plan to put that many miles on it. Also, Fluid Motor Union is nearby and by all reports they look to be a good source for independent BMW repair. I definitely donít have the DIY time/drive anymore.
Pressure Ratio likes this.
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #175
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,256
Casino cash: $74402076
3.11 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
All fair points. Another reason I might be OK gambling is that I donít plan to put that many miles on it. Also, Fluid Motor Union is nearby and by all reports they look to be a good source for independent BMW repair. I definitely donít have the DIY time/drive anymore.
Just figured I would give a side that isn't always discussed. People like warranties. I get it. But I also have a hard time with depreciation and newer cars. So many ways to look at purchasing cars. There is no doubt about that.

I also have a good mechanic if you ever get in a pinch. He works on my cars. He isn't too far from you. RT64 and Bloomingdale road.
Bru and Yaj Yak like this.
Pressure Ratio is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts