5c029b388c1ebfdbe9714ba84814789e.jpg

1afdf9485455d042c2e533ef6b4d27b7.jpg

6d43e0b9644efef904f3c2b04109126e.jpg

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/738385297/overview/

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] you driven one?

This car makes more sense at $30k than MSRP of $40k. Rides nicely, more sophisticated than an Outback. Has more guts than an Outback too. Smaller on the inside and actually not as nice of an interior compared with the Outback that was recently updated with nicer materials. It was overall a forgettable car, though - I had to dig into my notes to remember what I thought.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I instantly thought “cool wife car”, wife said it’s ugly :rofl: I did find some “essence” level ones in the 28k range which didn’t seem too bad to me. It’s also long. It’s like 5” shorter than my Tahoe.

Your wife dislikes most things you like.

We should test this.... start asking her about cars you dislike. :rofl:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I like these too.

I wonder if Bru's issue with the interior "niceness" is more of a matter of the trim level he had? I would like to think that in a Buick, which is an entry to mid-level luxury brand, that once you get up into the upper tiers of the trim tree, this thing would best any Subaru. I'm not saying that as a "slam", just the target demo they're shooting for at Buick.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I like these too.

I wonder if Bru's issue with the interior "niceness" is more of a matter of the trim level he had? I would like to think that in a Buick, which is an entry to mid-level luxury brand, that once you get up into the upper tiers of the trim tree, this thing would best any Subaru. I'm not saying that as a "slam", just the target demo they're shooting for at Buick.

it seems to be a common feeling.

Where the Regal TourX lacks is in its interior design and materials. If the Buick's sheetmetal is the Stanley Cup of wagon design, the cabin is a Michael Scott Dundie. The understated interior design could work if backed up by nicer materials and a splash of color, but instead it's just a sea of three different shades of black plastic, broken up by a thin strip of chrome and the infotainment screen. At least that infotainment system is a good one, with good graphics and a snappy, intuitive interface.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bui...utback-3-6r-vs-2018-volkswagen-golf-alltrack/

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
After spending the better part of a month driving the Regal TourX, Outback, and Golf Alltrack across the Midwest and then California, ranking them was a bit harder than expected, as each had its share of pros and cons.
We all liked the Golf Alltrack's design both in and out, and we enjoyed its sporty handling, but it was seriously held back by a lack of power and poor ride quality. The VW is a compelling little car—it's good enough to overcome one major flaw but not multiple, which relegates it to third place.

It was a photo finish for first place, but in the end the Subaru Outback just lost out, settling for second. If you need your wagon to do it all, the Outback is the ultimate jack-of-all-trades, but the compromises needed to help it do it all make it less enjoyable to drive on the road.

That leaves the Buick Regal TourX earning the gold medal. It's close, but the Regal provides most of the capability of the Outback, in a more attractive and more efficient package, and it's nicer to drive. One unlucky deer might have derailed our initial plans, but I think it's safe to say that if we had to retrace the California Trail again, we'd be doing it in a Buick Regal TourX.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
An ARP tune for the Golf Alltrack would help the power problem. Plus it retains factory warranty. It's not going to get you the 250 of the Buick, but more than enough to pep it up to at least adequate.

When I drove the Alltrack, it was definitely slow, but it didn't feel painfully slow. It had good midrange power. The ride felt like every other VW I've ridden in, on the firm side, but always well planted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info