Teach me about Trucks

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Since I've moved out west, I've been wanting a truck to haul stuff and use for work and turn the wrx into a weekend car. With the purchase of my house in July, I now have room to start adding toys to the collection. The WRX is paid off so I'm not interested in selling it. The only experience I have with trucks is using my dad's Frontier as my work hauler when I lived at home. I've always liked the F150s and loved using it as a rental when my wrx was in the shop for 6 weeks last winter. Tacoma's are big here in Reno, but I wanted to see what would be the other recommendations to look into.

MUSTS:
4WD- It snows. A LOT- putting on chains in the winter is not an option. I go down service roads quite a bit as well.
Must seat 4-5.
Tow 1-2 sleds + trailer (Don't own yet but will soonish) or a large enough bed to transport
Possibly tow a weekend boat (Idea sounds great, we'll see if I actually pull the trigger on a boat next summer)

Looking to spend under 20K. 10-15K is my sweet spot. So fancy boat hauler trucks aren't high on my list. I can upgrade in 3-5 years. When I move closer to Tahoe.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
[MENTION=10343]Bub[/MENTION] [MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION] [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] [MENTION=2449]ilikemtb999[/MENTION] [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION] [MENTION=5553]Ear Rak[/MENTION] [MENTION=8029]BeerOrGasoline[/MENTION] [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] [MENTION=11347]ragingclue[/MENTION] [MENTION=3785]muskie[/MENTION] [MENTION=3788]Pewter-Camaro[/MENTION] [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION]

Do you care about mileage? Fuel economy? Options?

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
[MENTION=10343]Bub[/MENTION] [MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION] [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] [MENTION=2449]ilikemtb999[/MENTION] [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION] [MENTION=5553]Ear Rak[/MENTION] [MENTION=8029]BeerOrGasoline[/MENTION] [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] [MENTION=11347]ragingclue[/MENTION] [MENTION=3785]muskie[/MENTION] [MENTION=3788]Pewter-Camaro[/MENTION] [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION]

Do you care about mileage? Fuel economy? Options?

Roughly the same or better than the WRX if possible. Currently avg ~23 mpg. Not a deal breaker. Options aren't too important. A way to plug in my iphone for pandora. Bluetooth, Wired etc.. Maybe heated seats :dunno: The must haves were mentioned, (4WD, tow up to 2-4k pounds)

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Roughly the same or better than the WRX if possible. Currently avg ~23 mpg. Not a deal breaker. Options aren't too important. A way to plug in my iphone for pandora. Bluetooth, Wired etc.. Maybe heated seats :dunno: The must haves were mentioned, (4WD, tow up to 2-4k pounds)

Averaging 23 narrows the heard a lot. My wife's Colorado doesn't get that.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
If your only looking for a tow capacity of up to 4K I would say stay in the Colorado area. I would have a hard time spending 15-20k for an F150 with close to 100k miles. I would think a Colorado/Cyanne would work perfectly for you.

4K could maybe be on the high end too. I could go for a jet ski or a little sail boat next year and stick around 1000-2500 pounds I believe with the right trailer.

Averaging 23 narrows the heard a lot. My wife's Colorado doesn't get that.

I mostly just threw out a number. I've currently only read into the different types to figure out the size of a truck I may need and correct terminology. Then looked into a reasonable budget. Just not looking for 10-15 mpg as it's going to be an daily commuter and I can sometimes average 100-150 miles a day. I recall my rental getting around ~20-23 mpg as I was impressed that it almost matched my car.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Another thing going for the Ford is the huge crew cab, though all full size crew cabs are big enough for 5 people. You said 4-5 but is that 2 adults and 3 kids or 5 dudes? If its 5 dudes you don't want a tacoma or colorado.... The are noticeably skinnier trucks.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
LOL, I have an extended cab for that reason. So then a Taco or Colorado will work just fine for you.

Are you tall? I found the Colorado to be more comfortable at 6'6". It also tows more and hauls more than the Taco. Taco lasts forever and has great resale.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
How many miles a year will you drive it? You can lease a new truck for really cheap
I did 18k in the last 10 months. Could split that between two vehicles but I rather just have a daily, then figure out what I want long term from the wrx.

I'm not sure about committing to a lease but I might play with some numbers. Was more interested in getting something I could pay off in 6 months or less. That could be not a bad option though to getting a newer truck then possibly buying it out at the end. Otherwise I'm okay with an older truck and trading up in a few years. A main goal is saving for a race car Tesla in two years. Work truck is a priority though.

I think I'll pass on any 4 cylinder. I'm sure they're great, but where the towing matters most will be going over the pass at 6000'-8500'. I still live at ~4500' so I don't think that'd be a good fit. Great info so far though! Definitely changed up my list a bit.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
A friend just bought a ccsb 3.5 ecoboost and has put 7500 miles on already. He’s in that mpg range for sure. Pretty sure it’s 21/22mpg. That’s with the 10 speed though.

I think I’d go for a cc Silverado with the v6 like [MENTION=10343]Bub[/MENTION] or. 4.8/5.3 truck. You won’t be close to that mpg with a v8 though. At least anything 6 speed auto won’t be (in my experience)

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
A friend just bought a ccsb 3.5 ecoboost and has put 7500 miles on already. He’s in that mpg range for sure. Pretty sure it’s 21/22mpg. That’s with the 10 speed though.

I think I’d go for a cc Silverado with the v6 like [MENTION=10343]Bub[/MENTION] or. 4.8/5.3 truck. You won’t be close to that mpg with a v8 though. At least anything 6 speed auto won’t be (in my experience)
:Nutz: and prices on the 14s used have been pretty good for someone who wants in. +1

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info