Find me a car that won't make me want to blow my brains out

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
So part of my new job is driving. Way more than I used to...I'm up and down the 355/290 corridor every day (Wheeling-Addison-Naperville primarily.)

It's a simple drive, and the Flex is super comfy, but in traffic, I'm lucky to get 20 mpg out of it, and that's with premium. I could run it on regular, but I end up losing a couple mpg, especially come winter. Basically I need something that's not a penalty box (Corolla, Civic, Sentra), that gets at least 25 mpg real world highway, and has enough room to carry GF, our dog (80 lb lab), and our stuff for a long weekend.

Not looking for something THAT new, as the miles will pile up, and I don't want to be hit too hard on depreciation. Also bonus points for cheap parts and easy to work on, as I'll likely be doing most of the maintenance myself...means maybe the German brands might not be a great fit.

Basic Specifications:
25 MPG
AWD, FWD, RWD, sidewheel drive, whatever
Auto or manual (absolutely no CVT, but bonus points for manual)
At least 4 doors (pickups as long as they meet mileage would work too, but preferably sedan, 5 door hatch, wagon, SUV/crossover)
$15K at most

Cars I've been eyeing so far...

2014+ Mazda6 - I like the styling, manual aren't rare
2013+ Fusions - I like the styling, manuals are rare, bordering on too boring
Accords - Meh styling, V6 mileage probably wouldn't be great so I'd have to do a 4-banger, and that's probably too boring, but manuals can be had if you look hard enough
Subaru of some description - I have an old Forester that should be driveable soon, but it's a bit too old...also gas mileage might not make it to the 25 mark. Would love to have a turbo Legacy or Forester

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
. Screenshot_20180913-162424_Chrome.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Is that a real question? It's mo better.

It was a real questions :tear: I know the fit and finish of the VW is leaps and bounds better than a Focus...but I can also find new ST's for around $20K with a full warranty, whereas a couple year old GTI with basically no warranty left, for only a couple grand cheaper.

A nice used Cadillac ATS can be found for dirt cheap nowadays. That is pretty close to your criteria. They are fun to drive and have nicer interior than some of the other domestic options posted so far.

ATS...interesting, that's not something I thought would be around that price range....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info