How to cleanly tap into door lock wiring?

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I want an auto locking tailgate for my Tacoma and found the Pop n Lock kits that you tap into the door lock system. I'm pretty confident in my ability to install and route the wiring but want some advice on how to cleanly tap into the existing system. I'm looking for both durability and cleanliness.

Are the T Tap connectors still a big no-no? I've never been a huge fan of crimp connectors, but I'm not super confident in my "solder onto an existing wire without cutting skills."

Are there some T tap connectors that work better than others? Basically all of the tutorials people write up are shit and they use the biggest crimp connector and then the nice tight wire bundle looks like shit.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I've seen this in instagram ad's i think... really fuckin' slick.

i've been using them at work. they're a huge time saver vs soldering.

t-tap connectors are never a good long term solution. how many connections do you need to splice? soldering really isn't hard or expensive to do, get a bit of wire and practice before going at your truck

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine

t-tap connectors are never a good long term solution. how many connections do you need to splice? soldering really isn't hard or expensive to do, get a bit of wire and practice before going at your truck

Its only 2 wires so I'm way over thinking it but wiring in car is so finicky now. I need to tap into 2 wires that are burried in a pretty thick bundle. Not a lot of slack so worried about melting and damaging other wires trying to solder hence wanted to see if there was a decent no solder connector.

The bundle is close enough to the floor and carpet under the passenger seat I was concerned salt or moisture could get in there. Sounds like man-ing up and soldering is the way to go

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

I saw those as well. Looks like they would work pretty slick.

We had them at work several years ago I keep meaning to order some for at home but always forget

i tried to find em for about 57 seconds and couldn't on the interwebs...

do you guys know what they are called?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I've done a bunch of wiring tapping and the best thing I've found are "step-down butt connectors". I always buy the shrink wrap kind, ALWAYS. They come in bunch of sizes. Usually they'll have a line on them to show what size they are (IE blue on one side, yellow on the other etc etc)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QC5CH0S/?tag=tcg21-20

I will usually cut the wire then put the 2 wires in the bigger size then the single wire in the smaller size.

The main reason I don't like solder on this type of connection is you have to cut the wire to get shrink wrap on the connection. Once cut on the factory wiring they usually don't give you any extra slack and if they do, it's pulling really tight and looks weird next to the OEM wires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info