02 sensor removal

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Gotta throw a new 02 sensor on my Denali, going to just replace both sides post cat. They arent that expensive and figure why not just replace both.
I have never ever had any luck removing these fucking things. I have used open ended wrenches, and the socket thats made for 02 removal.
Used that socket on the Cat when I removed the cats and completely destroyed the 02 and the threads in to the mid pipe. So will have to re-tap if I ever throw the cats back on.

So what's the trick is it heat, use an impact with the 02 socket, oil penatrater
All of the above? Velasquez will do it for $80, but fuck that rather do it myself and save the $80.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
authorized-dealer.jpg

:s00ls:

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I guess I've been lucky and haven't ever really struggled with an O2 sensor. If the sensor is junk, I wouldn't hesitate to just cut the pig tail off of it and put a regular impact socket over it and use an impact gun. I've never had to go that far though. They always come free for me with penetrating oil, a breaker bar, and an O2 socket. If you have room, you can put a hose clamp around the O2 socket, once it's over the sensor, to help prevent it from spreading.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
That was another suggestion I was going to make, hold the wrench steady and a few light taps usually work wonders instead of loading up the wrench with 100ft/lb of torque as you try to muscle it loose. It's just the heating/corrosion holding it up, so a few taps will break that "bond".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info