Cordless Tool Thread

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I typically do every bit of work on my vehicles by hand, but I am wanting to get some cordless tools to help with removing automotive fasteners or bolts and putting them back on. I will still use my torque wrenches as needed and hand start most bolts, screws, and nuts. But, some screws and nuts would be a hell of a lot easier to remove and reinstall with power.

I was thinking about a good cordless impact for big stuff and a nice small driver of some kind for smaller nuts, bolts, and trim screws. I am looking for some high quality pieces so snap on is an option, but if Milwaukee or another decent manufacturer makes what I need then I would be willing to explore those options.

Also, I am not sure if I need a cordless impact or a cordless screw driver for the smaller stuff. I would like something small, light, and versatile. The larger impact gun seems to be pretty straight forward as far as options go.

Hit me with it TCG. What would be the two best tools to add to my garage tool box? [MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION] [MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION]

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Snap-On makes great hand tools, but to be honest they really know nothing in terms of cordless products IMO. Usually companies like Snap-On are borrowing technology from other companies because they are stepping outside their core competencies.

From DEWALT my recs would be:

Versatile Driver: DCF887M2

It is a 3 Speed brushless impact driver with 1/4” quick connect which you can use for all types of screws or throw a socket adapter on it and use as an impact wrench.

Big Stuff: DCF899P2 or DCF899HP2

Once again 3 Speed brushless impact wrench, 1/2” anvil. 1200 ft lbs of breakaway torque / 700 ft lbs of fastening torque. “P2” kit is an anvil with detent pin and “HP2” is an anvil with hog ring.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Milwaukee Fuel Series is awesome. I have the M12 cordless 3/8" ratchet and use it all the time to zip off bolts I've broken loose.

Whatever you do, stick with one manufacturer so you can interchange batteries. I have a mix of stuff. All work great, but it would be nice not to have a million different chargers.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
No prob. Zipped both dually sets off
ZAVjxuN.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I have the Snap On 1/2" impact that I bought from a friend when he upgraded and the thing is awesome.
Just purchased the Matco 3/8" impact and that little fucker is unbelievably strong.
Cant compare either to anything as they are the 1st cordless impacts I have owned.
But I'm very impressed with the Matco 3/8".

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
The key to this is you're not exactly buying one tool, you're buying into a battery platform.

Look at the manufacturers' full line-up and see if you think it'll meet your needs into the future. Nothing is worse than having 6 different batteries for 6 different chargers for 6 different tools.

DeWalt, Makita & Milwaukee are very popular "pro" level tools.

Ridgid is nearly up there, slower to launch stuff but lifetime warranty (including batteries IF purchased in a kit with a tool).

Ryobi is more home-owner geared but I've seen guys beat the shit out of their ryobi stuff and it keeps on tickin'

With all that said, the only brand differential I'd accept is between 12v & 18/20v stuff, as even within the same manuf. the batteries won't crossover. I myself run DeWalt for everything 18/20v and Bosch for the 12v stuff.

Reactions: greasy

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
Snap on stuff is way over priced. They just pick a company and slap their name on it. Same with Matco Mac Cornwell. They've been doing that forever just like their air tools.

Many years ago they would be Japan air tool stuff (which was good) . Now it's all China and Malaysia shit.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I use lots of m18 stuff since I do residential construction. I have the m18 fuel high torque wrench. I've owned it for about a year, and I can count on one hand how many times it wasn't able to loosen something. I love it.

It's way too big and heavy for small fasteners though. I have a few m12 tools too, which work great for small fasteners. The m12 ratchet is nice for hard to reach areas. My favorite is the m12 impact driver. It's really small and light, yet it still has enough power to remove a lug nut from a car.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Milwaukee Fuel Series is awesome. I have the M12 cordless 3/8" ratchet and use it all the time to zip off bolts I've broken loose.

Whatever you do, stick with one manufacturer so you can interchange batteries. I have a mix of stuff. All work great, but it would be nice not to have a million different chargers.

This is why I wound up with all yellow everything.

I won some dewalt 12v stuff probably 6-7 years ago at a charity auction and the 12v stuff charges on the same 20v chargers soooo that's how i started down the yellow path.

DeWalt all the things.

DEWALT/Thread

:fyws:

BbxGo1el.jpg

I missed this thread when it was originally posted but added this to my lil collection yesterday and couldn't be happier. I did brakes on the povertybmw yesterday and had a caliper bolt that didn't want to cooperate... bought this and a quick BURP and i 100% thought i snapped the bolt... basically panicked. then i looked closer and was like holy fuck, it's totally fine. Yeah. I'm really happy with it

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...-Detent-Pin-Anvil-Tool-Only-DCF894B/304050995

as someone else said as well, look at whoever you decide to go with's entire line.

one huge thing that i love about dewalt lately is how wide of an offering they have... basically if you can think of a power tool something, they make it with these batteries, and then some. so much random shit.

i mean, they have a battery powered air compressor even.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...Atl-EALw_wcB&dclid=CKC1_bah59sCFRVKXgodOm4Ehw

:rofl: how about a 20v lawn mower that takes the same batteries.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...AhkmEALw_wcB&dclid=CJbcisyh59sCFYqQaQodo2EG0w

if you're looking for a big kit... this has a fuck ton of good stuff it seems.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...AqDHEALw_wcB&dclid=CLavwsqh59sCFRKPaQodbE0AmA

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
:rofl: how about a 20v lawn mower that takes the same batteries.

Yep... Two of my next few purchases (just bought the sawzall last week) are going to be the 60v weed whacker and blower to ditch my gas stuff...

dewalt-leaf-blowers-dcbl770x1-64_1000.jpg

dewalt-cordless-string-trimmers-dcst970x1-64_1000.jpg

I realistically should have sprung for the 60v sawzall, but I dont use them as much as i used to so the 20v version will be more than fine.

Need to get into their brushless impacts really soon as well.

Oh and the Flexvolt sliding compound miter saw.

I swear I could spend $10,000 there in about 5 minutes. :bowrofl:

Thread Info