Streamwood
Im old as dirt, this is where I learned to drive:

DrivingSimulator.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The driving simulators taught driver's ed students to look around and see dangerous situations or whatever they were called without the need to be worried about driving while learning about what's dangerous.

To this day, I switch into danger check mode if something/someone pops up. I think those machines definitely helped teach safety.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
God that kid is terrifying.

I was pretty much ready to go out the gate when I got my permit. My mom just told me to get in the drivers seat and drive us home.

So I did.

That kid CLEARLY needs some time in a parking lot just to learn the clutch.

Forget roads, gear changes, or anything else.

Find a big empty parking lot. Put the car in first. And just practice taking off from a stop smoothly, and learning to clutch in when coming to a stop. Rinse and repeat until the muscle memory is learned.

Then add shifting to that.

Once you can figure that out, it might be time to start venturing out on the roads.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Went to buy a 2002 Z28 when I was stationed in Pendleton. Was a manual. Never driven a manual in my life. Sales guy took it off the lot and we went to some back roads and he taught me to fucking drive manual. :bowrofl:

I still regret not buying that car or making it work. Was fucking MINTY with only 30k miles or something for like 9 grand back in 2008-9. Such is the Lance Coolie life.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

We had those machines also.

I was a horrible driver.
My POS mother never took me once to practice.
Only reason she even took me for my license was because she wanted a new car,
so she stole all my money and gave me some $50 POS she didn't want anymore.
I got a few minutes at school, and that was it.
Huge difference from the machine and the real world.
1st time out by myself, I almost killed a car full of kids trying to turn left at 127th near Halsted.

Way too much traffic for a kid with very little seat time.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
Went to buy a 2002 Z28 when I was stationed in Pendleton.
Was a manual. Never driven a manual in my life.
Sales guy took it off the lot and we went to some back roads and he taught me to fucking drive manual. :bowrofl:

I still regret not buying that car or making it work.
Was fucking MINTY with only 30k miles or something for like 9 grand back in 2008-9. Such is the Lance Coolie life.

Same deal with me.
I was at the Datsun dealer and they had an awesome little truck I liked.
The only thing that semi saved me from completely looking like an idiot was I rode a bike.
So I knew how to use a bike clutch, I just never drove a car/truck with one.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I remember the simulators at Lake Park High School back in 1989. I remember them offering automatic and manual. I thought I recall every simulator having a it own screen though. I also remember our drivers ed teacher Mr Lovelace IIRC his name correctly. He owned a gorgeous white Pontiac GTA Trans Am.

As far as learning how to drive. It was easy. I found it humorous watching the morons who could grasp the simple task of driving.

When I received my drivers license. I was not allowed to drive my moms new 1989 or 90 Ford Taurus. I was told if I want to go out. I’d have to drive my dads Plymouth Tourismo?. It was a manual trans and no one had taught me yet. So I grabbed the keys hopped in and just did it. Came natural. Easy peasy shifting gears in the POS.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Man I actually dont feel old for once. Ive never seen those before :rofl: When I was getting my license I did have a driving simulator program I used on my smokin fast 133mhz pentium computer :rofl: And I also had need for speed on my playstation with a wheel, so I was pretty well prepared for my driving test. :gears:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info