Trans fluid in oil to clean engine

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
"I run trans fluid through the motor, I've used kerosene in the pass but I'm afraid that it thins the oil out to much. Normally I run 4 quarts trans to 1 quart oil and a cheep oil filter,I'll drive it around, check it then drain it and put all new in.
I did that to my sister old Saturn years ago and forgot about it, went to check oil in it a week later and it was as black as black could get, car ran great after that. "

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Transmission fluid generally has LESS detergents than oil... How would this be effective... I've heard the OTHER way around, people putting a small amount of engine oil in the transmission for it's detergents, but we're talking a fairly small amount in relation to the total capacity of the transmissions' fluid.

Secondly, it isn't designed to handle the combustion by-products like regular engine oil.

Third, it could also degrade your engine oil both in viscosity and and overall oil life, making it less effective, especially used in the amounts listed.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
What's sad is someone one day is going to be the end user if this vehicle and their going to get fucked...

Keep oil with oil and trans fluid with trans fluid.

Fucking idiots.

Who the fuck needs a clean engine anyway? Are you eating with the Pistons and rods?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
These ideas usually go are 30+yrs old and aren't needed in anything even close to modern. Same with warming up the car or blowing out the cobs. Technically if the car isn't burning oil or leaking oil you could run conventional oil 10k miles all day, every day. The only reason it doesn't work is people don't check their oil levels and eventually the oil gets too low and you know what happens next. Every 3k miles for an oil change is just wasting money.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I like to blow out the cobs every time I drive my cars, my wife complains about me shifting her car at redline because she herd it’s hard on the car to rev out, I just tell her there is a rev limiter for a reason, and that reason is so I can bang it on every shift lol

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I like to blow out the cobs every time I drive my cars, my wife complains about me shifting her car at redline because she herd it’s hard on the car to rev out, I just tell her there is a rev limiter for a reason, and that reason is so I can bang it on every shift lol

Yup. Shit definitely needs to be blown out, especially valve trains...

Ever follow an older Cadillac or Lincoln with Granny driving? That blue smoke is cause her valve seals are dried out from 1300 max rpm for years....

I redline GFs new highlander anytime im in int and today's diesels sure as fuck need a good cleaning

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Also, even with MASSIVE amounts of use, those cars are prone to have valve seal failure and smoke. They all do it, usually after 300k miles, because they are monsters, but you keep oil in them and they'll go 500k miles all day, despite the bit of smoke they puff from a stoplight.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Just use seafoam in oil instead, then change it. And don't buy it from parts store, go to Walmart. Legit half price.

Heard the trans fluid thing for potentially freeing up a sticking hydraulic lifter. I guess I could see it working given trans fluid is intentionally designed to keep the valve body/solenoids/valves working smoothly in the transmission hydraulic system.

I'd still recommend just taking it all apart and doing it right... but nobody got time fo dat.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
The seals are dried out because of lack of use, not because she was driving at 1300rpm. C'mon man, you're not an idiot, you know better.

Nooooot really buying the never used theory. 2 closest examples to me we're my grandma's 96 Lincoln, it smoked blue at all times and had very good miles on it, but it never ever saw any high rpms.

My IROC the same, I bought it from the original owners who put 100k on it since 87, drove it every summer across a few states....

Everyone jokes in SBC all needing valve seals, and yea it's a weak point, but fuck do I see alot of work trucks and vans and they ain't smoking, their put to work.

I will always buy something that's been put to work

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info