YouTube Here's why the Chevy SS was a total failure

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
"Failure" gets tossed around a lot with this car, not sure why. Chevy still sold all 12924 units or however many it was. That's 12924 more than they tried to sell. It wasn't meant to be a volume car and simply came over here because GM was beholden (teehee) to some political agreement made earlier. No amount of clamoring or want from the public would have generated more sales. No amount of clamoring or want from the public would have resulted in a proper successor. So I'm not sure what it failed at. It doesn't fail at being a great car, which I thought was a pretty important metric, but that's just me.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
LS3
TR6060
Handles great, especially for its size
Big enough for all my shit and multiple tall/fluffy friends
Nobody knows what it is
$38k new
Holds its value well

IMO of course

Or is your issue with my misuse of the term "metric"?

You’d have to look at how the automotive industry measures the success of a product line, then evaluate the SS against it.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Right it didn't match the Charger's sales numbers and didn't materialize a successor out of a void where there was never intended to be one? It didn't fly off the shelves without any advertising? I think I'm in need of some education here, help me out.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I don't know, you tell me. I'm only in aftermarket, not an OEM. I think it would be highly subjective and for sure based on whatever goals were intended for that vehicle. Considering GM's goals for this particular car, I'd say the SS was a success. They sold em all. People [who have actually driven them] generally say they're good cars, some really like them.... There was nothing more they intended to do with these in a positive sense, so I'm not sure what deems it a "failure". This is why I asked for YOU to elaborate.

I thought you were going to come out with some standards or true metrics to actually educate me on the subject and show how it could objectively be deemed a failure. Is that not the case?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I don't know, you tell me. I'm only in aftermarket, not an OEM. I think it would be highly subjective and for sure based on whatever goals were intended for that vehicle. Considering GM's goals for this particular car, I'd say the SS was a success. They sold em all. People [who have actually driven them] generally say they're good cars, some really like them.... There was nothing more they intended to do with these in a positive sense, so I'm not sure what deems it a "failure". This is why I asked for YOU to elaborate.

I thought you were going to come out with some standards or true metrics to actually educate me on the subject and show how it could objectively be deemed a failure. Is that not the case?

I have no dog in the fight with this vehicle. Does not matter to me if it is a failure or not.

Your Post #7 of this thread referenced metrics, which is where the hope was you had industry metrics or even data to share with the members here and counter the original video.

Others should not have to provide

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
LS3
TR6060
Handles great, especially for its size
Big enough for all my shit and multiple tall/fluffy friends
Nobody knows what it is
$38k new
Holds its value well

IMO of course

Or is your issue with my misuse of the term "metric"?

Kudos if you were able to find an SS for $38K. Everything I've seen was you'd be hard pressed to get one under $40K, and even then, they were closer to mid-$40's. GM offered the discount for one month, but it was hardly all encompassing, and even now, used versions are in the lower $40K's.

My biggest gripe with it was always price. Just seemed like too much money for what you got, especially with the initial models without the mag shocks.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I have no dog in the fight with this vehicle. Does not matter to me if it is a failure or not.

Your Post #7 of this thread referenced metrics, which is where the hope was you had industry metrics or even data to share with the members here and counter the original video.

Others should not have to provide

It was a shitty pun. I otherwise would have used factors or some other word. This is why I asked if your issue was with my use of the word, which it seems to have been. You could have just said so.

Kudos if you were able to find an SS for $38K. Everything I've seen was you'd be hard pressed to get one under $40K, and even then, they were closer to mid-$40's. GM offered the discount for one month, but it was hardly all encompassing, and even now, used versions are in the lower $40K's.

My biggest gripe with it was always price. Just seemed like too much money for what you got, especially with the initial models without the mag shocks.

They ran the 20% off three separate times over the past three years (maybe even less, like 2.5 years? Can't remember). One of those times doesn't really count too much since there were only a few business days involved and it ended unexpectedly. The last one was a bit VIN limited but you still should have been able to find what you wanted if you moved quickly enough. IIRC the previous two were pretty much all encompassing. The MY14 were dirt cheap when the MY15 hit the lots. The MY15 was becoming real cheap as the MY16 arrived too. Deals were had by lots of people on these cars, I think a lot more people got these for cheap than people think.

I agree there was no way I was forking over $50k for the '14 with standard dampers and no 6MT option. The '15+ made a little more sense as far as pricing goes but it still seemed a bit steep. I wish they would have made an option without so many mandatory options. A Scat type packaging deal would have been great, but it was easiest and quickest for GM to get their obligation out of the way doing what they did, so that's what we got.

Is the '17 SS worth $50k? Hard to say, equally equipped competitors came out to the same price. To me, no, but I'm a cheap ass.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
They ran the 20% off three separate times over the past three years (maybe even less, like 2.5 years? Can't remember). One of those times doesn't really count too much since there were only a few business days involved and it ended unexpectedly. The last one was a bit VIN limited but you still should have been able to find what you wanted if you moved quickly enough. IIRC the previous two were pretty much all encompassing. The MY14 were dirt cheap when the MY15 hit the lots. The MY15 was becoming real cheap as the MY16 arrived too. Deals were had by lots of people on these cars, I think a lot more people got these for cheap than people think.

I agree there was no way I was forking over $50k for the '14 with standard dampers and no 6MT option. The '15+ made a little more sense as far as pricing goes but it still seemed a bit steep. I wish they would have made an option without so many mandatory options. A Scat type packaging deal would have been great, but it was easiest and quickest for GM to get their obligation out of the way doing what they did, so that's what we got.

Is the '17 SS worth $50k? Hard to say, equally equipped competitors came out to the same price. To me, no, but I'm a cheap ass.

I mean, 3 months out of ~50 months of possible sale they were on discount.

And the fact that they had to do those deals, and people were waiting a full model year behind to get to a price that seemed more in line with what the car seemed to be worth tells you a lot. It was just too expensive as priced, and even with the discounts, didn't sell really well.

My buddy bought his '17 SS literally days before they went "on sale" that last time. His was a "base", but the only options were an auto or sunroof from what I understand. He bought his in the mid/low $40's, which is where I just kind of imagined most people and most dealers were pricing them.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/722644885/overview/

814911541885aed88d5a1789fd5.jpg

WOOD

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info