6.0 PSD labored cranking, battery CCA test OK?

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
It seems like my 6.0 PSD Excursion just devours batteries. I had them replaced just about 2 years ago, and last week when the temperatures were brutally cold, if I left the truck sitting for 12+ hours, cranking would be extremely labored. The closer I got to 24 hours of sitting, the more likely it was that I would have to jump it, and I did have to a couple of times. Because Friendly Ford put in the batteries while having other work done, and they have a 3 year warranty, I arranged to go back there today about my labored starting issues when it is really cold. They tell me they need to do a charging system test to confirm. Well, $67 later, they tell me that my batteries are checking out in spec for the CCA test and that they would need to do a full diesel diagnostic to the tune of $220 to determine the issue. When I asked the service advisor what else could cause a labored starting problem when it is cold after the truck sits for 1/2 a day, she said that it could be the fuel system, the alternator, geled fuel, starter, or "that it's just cold." She also went on to say that the full diesel diagnostic will not result in anything that would conclude that the batteries are bad and said the starter is getting good power. WTF?! WTF else could cause a labored cranking condition if not the goddamn batteries?!

My stubborn ass is about to buy a CCA battery tester just so I can throw this back in their face because this is ridiculous (and who doesn't like new tools).

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Honestly, I'm going to have to agree with them that it's just the cold... My cummins has two late 2016 batteries (napa premium). It was dead for a few days, got it going and it's a labor to start every time. We've had issues starting every 6.0 coming into the shop as well. Just the nature of it.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Honestly, I'm going to have to agree with them that it's just the cold... My cummins has two late 2016 batteries (napa premium). It was dead for a few days, got it going and it's a labor to start every time. We've had issues starting every 6.0 coming into the shop as well. Just the nature of it.
In the context of battery replacement, then I would argue that they aren't working as they should or should be expected to and should be replaced. It didn't act like this at all after getting them replaced or at all last winter.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
If your batteries are good, it should spin over quick. You can swap over to a 6.4 or 6.7 starter to raise cranking rpm, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem, unless your starter is going bad.

Even at 0 degrees, mine spins over effortlessly after sitting all night.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
It seems like my 6.0 PSD Excursion just devours batteries. I had them replaced just about 2 years ago, and last week when the temperatures were brutally cold, if I left the truck sitting for 12+ hours, cranking would be extremely labored. The closer I got to 24 hours of sitting, the more likely it was that I would have to jump it, and I did have to a couple of times. Because Friendly Ford put in the batteries while having other work done, and they have a 3 year warranty, I arranged to go back there today about my labored starting issues when it is really cold. They tell me they need to do a charging system test to confirm. Well, $67 later, they tell me that my batteries are checking out in spec for the CCA test and that they would need to do a full diesel diagnostic to the tune of $220 to determine the issue. When I asked the service advisor what else could cause a labored starting problem when it is cold after the truck sits for 1/2 a day, she said that it could be the fuel system, the alternator, geled fuel, starter, or "that it's just cold." She also went on to say that the full diesel diagnostic will not result in anything that would conclude that the batteries are bad and said the starter is getting good power. WTF?! WTF else could cause a labored cranking condition if not the goddamn batteries?!

My stubborn ass is about to buy a CCA battery tester just so I can throw this back in their face because this is ridiculous (and who doesn't like new tools).

well, there is your problem. :trump:

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Too cold to start, now thats accurate... But too cold to crank and and too cold for the batteries....?

Nei!

Have you looked over your battery cables? Single or dual alternator?

Thoughts on an amp draw test? Excursions love parasitic loads.

As suggested, after reconfirming batteries are good, and no parasitic draws... A 6.4 starter will probably help you...

When she does fire, is she smooth or cackling and smoking fuel bad?

Have not checked the battery cables at all, nor done a parasitic load test. Dealership seemed to indicate that the starter is getting great power, and the starter is always strong when the batteries are strong. Truck would sit for weeks over the summer and fire up without issue.

When it's really cold outside, it does stutter while cackling a bit before pretty quickly smoothing out (<10s). Almost none of that when the block heater is on as expected. With regards to smoke, nothing excessive I don't feel. It gives a nice white startup plume through the cackling, but nothing crazy.

FWIW, the batteries I had put in 2 years ago replaced batteries that had been put in 3 years prior. FICM was rebuilt when the batteries were replaced 2 years ago when I brought it in for the same starting condition problems as well as really poor running conditions when way cold until it warmed up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info