Cadillac CTS-V or Chevrolet SS? for $30k (poll)

CTS-V or SS

• CTS-V

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • SS

Votes: 23 40.4%

• Total voters

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
What would you buy? The below are just general examples of what's out there, not specific examples to make your decision. And go:

8bb17e82ce8c1bed15834f2009a.jpg

$26,995, 77,000 miles
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/723128272/overview/

138505686977ab4b09592d24d3c.jpg

$26,900, 19,000 miles
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/720465602/overview/

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
This is tough. I hate the V coupes so it would have to be a manual sedan or wagon. Wagons are way to much but the sedans are reasonable. The SS I would want in manual which seems difficult to find for $30k still. The fact you can grab one of the autos though and then get that turbo kit installed for $7k which made amazing numbers is hard to pass up.

In conclusion I have no fucking idea because both are awesome. Isn’t it your job to tell which is better [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] ?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
So for the V camp, why? Simply more power? Better looks? Mod-ability?
I chose the V because it’s not going anywhere and manual ones are easier to find in that price range. I love the SS for its subtle looks but I could see it getting like gto’s/g8’s are far as finding replacement parts in the future.

If manual SS’s with magneride exist for $30k I’d take that over a V all day though. Orange blast metallic please.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This is tough. I hate the V coupes so it would have to be a manual sedan or wagon. Wagons are way to much but the sedans are reasonable. The SS I would want in manual which seems difficult to find for $30k still. The fact you can grab one of the autos though and then get that turbo kit installed for $7k which made amazing numbers is hard to pass up.

In conclusion I have no fucking idea because both are awesome. Isn’t it your job to tell which is better [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] ?

I wanted to hear what other people think. Including those who have owned one or the other, or both. Honestly, I have alerts set up for whenever one or the other pops us less than $30k. My wife hasn't remembered any car I bring home except for a few, and one of those was the pearl white 2012 CTS-V sedan I took on power tour; though I'd want chrome wheels instead of black. Such a classy fucking car.

The SS has more safety technology and a warranty, and I think a nicer interior and handles better (the 2014 actually handles crisper, flatter and with more grip than the mag-ride 2015/2016 SS, but has worse ride quality.) But I'm mild on its looks, and I struggle with vanity because objectively it's a great car but it's also a little dorky looking.

It's all window shopping now. Don't know if I'll be able to swing anything in 2018 with a baby and a house on the way. One thing I've found: people do stupid shit to the V's appearance. Orange wheels, sticker highlights, green brake calipers, bad plasti-dip. It's like shopping for a 350Z.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
A 2009, 77k mile CTSV vs a 2014, 19k mile SS?

That’s like comparing a ridden hard, 36 yrs old, yet still attempting to be classy, prostitute to a next door neighbor, recently kicked out of parent’s home, cream pied a handful of times, analed once, 20 yrs old.

Both will give you the same pleasure, and yet different headaches.

Go with the younger model and let yourself put the hard miles on her.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
V2 has more power, MRC, looks much better IMO. Don't have much experience with the Caddy infotainment but I'd be floored if it was any more infuriating than the buggy dinosaur MyLink in the SS.

'15+ 6MT I'd take over the V2 if they made the price cutoff, but it doesn't look like there are many of those. '14 SS seems like a good value for modding though, without having to worry about the problems added by the new features for '15+.

Those 6MT SSs seem to be holding their value very well. Crazy considering how many got them for $10k off or more. I do not think I want to own it out of warranty though. We'll see.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I wanted to hear what other people think. Including those who have owned one or the other, or both. Honestly, I have alerts set up for whenever one or the other pops us less than $30k. My wife hasn't remembered any car I bring home except for a few, and one of those was the pearl white 2012 CTS-V sedan I took on power tour; though I'd want chrome wheels instead of black. Such a classy fucking car.

The SS has more safety technology and a warranty, and I think a nicer interior and handles better (the 2014 actually handles crisper, flatter and with more grip than the mag-ride 2015/2016 SS, but has worse ride quality.) But I'm mild on its looks, and I struggle with vanity because objectively it's a great car but it's also a little dorky looking.

It's all window shopping now. Don't know if I'll be able to swing anything in 2018 with a baby and a house on the way. One thing I've found: people do stupid shit to the V's appearance. Orange wheels, sticker highlights, green brake calipers, bad plasti-dip. It's like shopping for a 350Z.

I’ve driven neither and will follow this because I actually search both almost daily. Although I’m not sure I want to spend that kind of money this year I may just have to look for a first gen cts-v.

Thread Info