Considering an Ecoboost MKS

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Considering an Ecoboost MKS (now have!)

I'm looking at a 2013 Lincoln MKS with the 3.5 Twin Turbo. Seems to be a great car with great online reviews. Anything I should be worried about? It's either this or a Charger/Challenger/300 with a Hemi. The MKS seems to be the better value.

Is there a good SHO forum that I can do some research on? I want it as a daily driver, but will probably get a tuner to have some high octane fun.

Last edited:

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
I'm looking at a 2013 Lincoln MKS with the 3.5 Twin Turbo. Seems to be a great car with great online reviews. Anything I should be worried about? It's either this or a Charger/Challenger/300 with a Hemi. The MKS seems to be the better value.

Is there a good SHO forum that I can do some research on? I want it as a daily driver, but will probably get a tuner to have some high octane fun.

I have 16 SHO since new. Rock solid so far

https://www.tapatalk.com/forum/56487

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Decent amount of tech info on here

Ecoboost Performance Forum

I daily drive a 2012, so feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions. Change the spark plugs, load a tune, and you're good to go. There are no common big issues, other than the PTU fluid needing to be changed. I still haven't changed mine, but plan on it this spring/summer.

Crazy what a value the Ecoboost MKS's are.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Took forever to get this. It's from Florida and there were long delays getting the title due to some laws in Illinois about Hurricane/Flood states.

I was very picky. Had to have the Ecoboost 3.5, not be black/white/grey and have two tone interior.

So far I love it. Big step up from the '02 Regal GS. Maybe not as fast, but does everything else better. AWD>>FWD. The two little turbo spool so fast, you wouldn't know they are there. It's a big car - too bad they don't but this motor in the Fusion/MKZ.

Buick should have copied this for the new Regal GS.

Attachments

• Lincoln.jpg
    Lincoln.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 95

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
New plugs should be ordered now. SP534's

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009B5ROYU/?tag=tcg21-20

Make sure your tires are rotated and there's not a big disparity in wear.

The PTU's were common failures in the earlier model years, but 2013+ you should be good to go.

You have the "upgraded" brakes (2013+ SHO performance pack brakes), so unless you want to go crazy, they're adequate.

Don't put an exhaust on it, they sound like trash.

Catch can will help with valve coking and intake runner build up. It's a worthwhile investment.

Like others have said, tune really wakes these up. There are a few options; Unleashed, Livernois, 5 Star, and a few others. Every person will say this tuner is better for this or that reason. Do you research, and figure out what you want. Torrie at Unleashed is pretty big in the 3.5 EB world. Livernois is another big one, but they don't seem to get the gains Unleashed does, but I see them as safer...

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Thanks.

I plan to leave the hardware alone and want to tune it myself. (I will do the plugs and catch can) I have HPTuners, but haven't looked into what I need to do to use it on this car yet.

Before that, I need to start by monitoring Knock Retard with the Torque App. I'm also considering an Aeroforce gauge if I can mount it somewhere without it looking like crap.

For now, I'm still getting acquainted with the car. It's huge! I didn't realize how much bigger a Taurus/MKS is compared to the Regal.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
We bought our 2014 SHO new. Great power, great real world handling and comfort. Plenty of cabin and trunk space. It’s been flawless with 49,000+ Miles now.

Every car has little gremlins of such. I have not had any.

If I recall correctly.

The only possible issue one may have is with the AWD is the PTU. Ford claims its life time oil in it. But it’s been documented on the Ecoboost and SHO forums that the oil does not last a life time. It thickens up eventually and then it breaks. There is no drain plug on the PTU but I believe the SHO with the PP package and also the law enforcement AWD models have a drain plug. For those without the drain plug like my wife’s SHO. There are threads and videos on how to change out the fluid from the fill plug. Perhaps newer AWD Ecoboost models have a drain plug on the PTU.

If I did not need a truck as a DD. I would easily buy a second SHO.

That’s all I can think of.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info