Obtainable Dream Cars Thread

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
TL;DR what cars did you always dream about when they were $150,000+ and now they've reached that sweet spot where they are still relevant/ in style but at 10-25% of their original MSRP. This could mean Luxury cars like AMG's, performance cars like Viper/ ZR1's, or even SUV's like Escalades, etc.

For me it's the luxo-barges. Anyone that knows me knows I like trucks and cars that are as big as trucks. 7-Series BMW's, A8 Audi's, S-Class MB, etc etc.

While those are all fine and dandy, one car I've always wanted is a Maserati Quattroporte (probably due to the fact that E drives one in Entourage and they're cheaper than 63 Continental Convertibles lol.) 2005's and 2006's should be immediately ignored. The E-gear transmissions were very problematic and required frequent servicing. However in 2007+ cars they were fitted with a much more DD friendly ZF 6-speed Automatic. Many of the wear item parts are reasonably obtained through aftermarket and they have a decent reliability record from all of the research I've done. I tend to shy away from the executive GT's (luxury) and more for the GT and GTS sport models.

qp_3.jpg

What I typically do is reference KBB and other sites that give average sale prices of model years vs. calendar years. With that I try and determine at what age/mileage I can purchase a car without getting "burned". With the Quattroporte's for instance, I can safely buy a 2007-08 in the 60-80k mile range ($18,000-$22,000) depending on color/options and expect to see most of that money back in one calendar year. With a 2010-12 car (still in the low-mid $30,000 range) I can expect to lose roughly $3,500 over that year still. Obviously this depends on miles, how well you take care of it, etc, but it's a fun way to buy and own a car for a year without taking a bath on it. Easiest way to do this is to have the money/independent financing to be able to complete a private party cash deal, you get a hell of a lot more car for your dollar that way.

My goal would be to buy a 2007-09 GT, and within a year or two hope to get an 11-12 GTS with the same confidence in retaining value.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/723461617/overview/

12108946.1514874685248.9EA252EDBF6848BA94A4678AEB858C10.jpeg

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/705291846/overview/

579a6cd3d4337e8241dda81adcf.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

It's on my list... But this thread was meant for others to share theirs as well, this isn't a "Look what I might buy and then it doesn't happen for two years" thread :rofl:

I think it would be fun to own something like this for a summer... Each year something different. Same concept can be applied to 07-10 Aston Martin DB9's and Vantages, I've ran these metrics on a slew of expensive ass cars lol. Just FYI ;)

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I can't be the only one that thinks like this... Shit five years ago you could've bought a 308 Ferrari and have doubled your money by now. When I buy stuff I'm thinking of the sale price before I hand over the money. It's the same concept, just with cool stuff instead of Skid Steers :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info