Volt Guys

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Afternoon all,

Looking for some insight from the Chevy volt guys.
[MENTION=11218]lastls1[/MENTION]
[MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION]

So, wife's 2012 Volt - Her home charger failed. Brought it to the dealer, they said it is not warrantied at all, quoted her over $700 for a new one. Read online, getting mixed reviews as people seem to be getting them replaced under warranty. There was also a big recall on them on 2011/2012 models too.

Any ideas on this?

Sucks she can't charge the car, and has an 8 year/100,000 mile voltec warranty, and the voltec part is not warrantied if this is the case.

Thanks for your help
-Chris

Stink Star

Donā€™t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Just checked and Iā€™m not seeing it covered under Voltec.

Iā€™ll tell you though, for $700 Iā€™d be buying a level 2 charger for the house. And by $700 I mean like $450 on amazon

What do you mean by the ā€œvoltec warranty isnā€™t coveredā€ if she doesnā€™t charge it? Thatā€™s not true at all.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Just checked and Iā€™m not seeing it covered under Voltec.

Iā€™ll tell you though, for $700 Iā€™d be buying a level 2 charger for the house. And by $700 I mean like $450 on amazon

What do you mean by the ā€œvoltec warranty isnā€™t coveredā€ if she doesnā€™t charge it? Thatā€™s not true at all.

Hmmm.

Well, based on what we've seen, the voltec warranty is supposed to cover all components for the charging system. The gray/orange charging unit that plugs into the 120v outlet to the car is marked as "voltec" on the item itself. Just figured since it is a voltec part, it would fall under the voltec warranty.

Thought I'd ask, as we are not exactly in a position to spend hundreds on a replacement that failed. She'll likely just use gas now until we can buy a new one.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Unfortunately I cannot add to the subject, but will say my brother has averaged 83 mpg for the life of his Volt. Only one module issue (fixed under warranty) but otherwise the car has been flawless.

Iā€™ve taken it a handful of times and enjoyed driving it.

I am a fan.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
As some said above. Itā€™s not covered by GM under warranty. I had one replaced Under warranty on my first volt, however I was one of the few people who bought a volt right away, so they made exceptions left and right for us.

And as Mike K said. A J1772 charger is the same for all, itā€™s a standardized plug that must be the same, itā€™s mandated by the DOT.

Possibly check eBay if you wanted the GM cord again? Or also check the Volt forums? People used to sell them

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Thanks guys.

Sucks it isn't covered.

I'm checking around and it looks like we are going to have to spend at least a couple hundred for one.

Is there any downside of using any charger that could affect the Volt battery itself, I.E. wear it faster, not charge properly, etc. Just trying to be educated before making a decision.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks guys.

Sucks it isn't covered.

I'm checking around and it looks like we are going to have to spend at least a couple hundred for one.

Is there any downside of using any charger that could affect the Volt battery itself, I.E. wear it faster, not charge properly, etc. Just trying to be educated before making a decision.

There should be zero issues. The car regulates the charge not the charger itself. Its the same as going to any charge point location.

But obviously a 110 outlet has limits.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info