1 piece Carbon Fiber vs 2 piece aluminum drive shaft for the GTO - looking for advice

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
So the winter mod bug is upon me and I plan to swap the drive shaft in my GTO. I am torn between a 1 piece CF or the 2 piece aluminum shaft.

My car is a 05 6-speed with 4:11 gears. The engine is basically stock. It is a street car the majority of its time. I use it for fun road trips like Tail of the Dragon and any decent roads in the Midwest I can find. I do not drag race the car. The whole suspension is focused on corner carving. I put about 5,000 miles a year on the car and it is not used in winter.

I intend to do some standing mile runs as well as road events with the car. I am sure in the standing mile I will be over 155 and am worried about the one piece aluminum shafts, however the CF sounds like it would be OK at that speed with my gearing.

I am leaning toward the 1 piece CF but now that I found a 2 piece aluminum that seems like a viable option.

Do any of you have direct experience with either of these options? What were the pros and cons? Any issues with vibrations, clunking, slip in the drive line?

I plan to pick one of these up in the next few weeks and start the winter wrench session soon.

Thanks, Happy New Year!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would go with the 2 piece or 2 piece carbon shaft. Most of the 1 piece shafts used to state 135 mph max. At least that’s what it was like back when I had mine.

The 2 piece will be smoother as it has a bushing in the center as well.

Unless you were going for straight up drag and needed to hold the power, I see no reason for the 1 piece in this application as top speed runs seem to be your calling

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I reached out to DSS and here is their response:

"The two-piece aluminum would be fine at that speed because it is supported in the middle. However, It still has a carrier bearing which is a wear item, as well as reduces response and torque transfer. For similar money, I would recommend the carbon one-piece. It will be a more athletic feeling driveshaft that you will appreciate in your style of driving, as well as less parts for maintenance and will have a higher critical speed than the aluminum."

Looks like I am going to do the one piece carbon fiber. They claim the one piece CF is good to 200MPH. My car will never hit that speed. I liked their comment "more athletic feeling" with the one piece and that sold me.

I hope to order it up soon and start the winter wrench session. I have a lot I want to do before spring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info