User Tag List

Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By bikrboy128
  • 5 Post By Mike K
  • 2 Post By Blood on Blood
  • 2 Post By Ryan02Stang
  • 1 Post By Intel
  • 2 Post By Mike K
  • 2 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By bikrboy128
  • 1 Post By bikrboy128
  • 1 Post By smug

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
DJ's Avatar
DJ DJ is offline
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,030
DJ
Forum Sponsor
 
DJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,030
Casino cash: $7009325
0.20 per day
Default Need of someone that knows Audis

So my business partner was left in a bad situation. About 6 months ago he had a friend who is a very experienced mechanic (obviously not Audi) attempt to change his timing tensioner. He said while he was in there he should probably do something in the variable valve timing. While I work on a lot of cars I don't like to jump into someone's mess because I don't have enough knowledge when it comes to Audi. Especially knowing Audi does require special tools sometimes.

This is a 2007 A6 3.2 non-turbo. It is currently sitting at our shop with towels over the valves. We are looking for someone to come by the shop have a few beers take a look and let us know what it would take for them to finish it up.

I appreciate any help I can get with this.
__________________
94 Mustang GT - not stock
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee - OME lift
03 Ford Expedition - Tow Rig
Big Stickers and Signs - Owner
844-399-7274
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
bikrboy128's Avatar
Some say.....
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wheaton
Posts: 10,613
Some say.....
 
bikrboy128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wheaton
Posts: 10,613
Casino cash: $27412645
2.40 per day
Default

audi timing chain setups


yea, you need specialty nazi specific crank/cam lock and alignment tools, along with a pre-tensioning tool to set the cam actuator.
what chain tensioner(s) did he attempt to replace? upper or lower? both? usually it's just the tensioners that shit the bed, not the cam actuators (for the variable timing)

i avoid these like the plague. they're hitler's revenge. good luck to you though
Bruce Jibboo, RICH17 and N20GT like this.
__________________
06 M6 GTO - stock garage queen - sold
12 Acura MDX - winter beater
03 Honda S2000 - 100 grand under the hood
05 Kawasaki STX-15f - braaap
79 Kawasaki KZ750 vertical twin - old and slow
82 Honda VF750 Magna - old and slightly faster
bikrboy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
DJ's Avatar
DJ DJ is offline
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,030
DJ
Forum Sponsor
 
DJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,030
Casino cash: $7009325
0.20 per day
Default

Yeah it's a shitty situation but trying to find a way out for him. So I just looked and he already replaced the passenger side upper. The driver side is pulled apart and needs to get a new upper tensioner put it.

He did buy all the specialty tools so we have them.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
RICH17's Avatar
Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The 007
Posts: 25,530
Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
 
RICH17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The 007
Posts: 25,530
Casino cash: $110413144
6.49 per day
Default

I'd go to the nearest Audi dealer and wave some cash around in the shop
RICH17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Dasfinc's Avatar
Mrrrrstang.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 20,477
Mrrrrstang.
 
Dasfinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 20,477
Casino cash: $46437559
4.71 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ View Post
Yeah it's a shitty situation but trying to find a way out for him. So I just looked and he already replaced the passenger side upper. The driver side is pulled apart and needs to get a new upper tensioner put it.

He did buy all the specialty tools so we have them.
I may know a guy, PM me your number and Iíll send him your way.
__________________
19 WRX STI, 13 Mustang GT Premium Vert', 03 Suburban, 99 Ranger (V8 Swap Project).
Dasfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
DJ's Avatar
DJ DJ is offline
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,030
DJ
Forum Sponsor
 
DJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,030
Casino cash: $7009325
0.20 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasfinc View Post
I may know a guy, PM me your number and Iíll send him your way.
Done
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
Mike K's Avatar
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,799
Forum Sponsor
 
Mike K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,799
Casino cash: $46246708
3.08 per day
Default

Burn it. They're horrible cars. You'll fix that and something else over-engineered and made out of brittle plastic from the cheapest bidder will break, leaving you with another multi-thousand dollar repair bill. Audis are the worst. Here's what you're working with:



And people wonder why I think IC engines are dead.
Mike K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
Intel's Avatar  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,744
 
Intel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,744
Casino cash: $33002525
1.32 per day
Default

Ugh, I need to do something similar to a 1.8T that possibly jumped timing while low on oil. I have replaced motors in japanese cars no issue. Get to this motherfucker and almost none of my existing tools work on it, because german.
Intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
Blood on Blood's Avatar
rumble baby rumble
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 36,044
rumble baby rumble
 
Blood on Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 36,044
Casino cash: $216791300
6.86 per day
Default

Nothing that the Calumet river couldn’t resolve
EmersonHart13 and The Beast like this.
__________________
Dave
17 Mustang GT
17 Pilot AWD
15 Elantra
Blood on Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
Ryan02Stang's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 10,131
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 10,131
Casino cash: $114433000
1.85 per day
Default

Blows my mind how anyone buys an Audi that doesn't have a warranty, or doesn't have enough cash that they just don't give a fuck.
Bruce Jibboo and N20GT like this.
__________________
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
2002 Mustang GT
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Intel's Avatar  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,744
 
Intel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,744
Casino cash: $33002525
1.32 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan02Stang View Post
Blows my mind how anyone buys an Audi that doesn't have a warranty, or doesn't have enough cash that they just don't give a fuck.
non car person and his family bought it as a nice small hatchback for being in chicago.

I told him I will be helping pick his next car. Just taught him how to change his own oil while checking for bearing material. Going to send it and hope it lasts 2 more years.
Ryan02Stang likes this.
Intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Mike K's Avatar
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,799
Forum Sponsor
 
Mike K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,799
Casino cash: $46246708
3.08 per day
Default

Used Audis are why all German cars have horrible depreciation. Oh hell, for that matter, even my beloved BMWs are pretty horrible. The M motors are shit, the twin turbo V8's are shit... Ironically the only motor that isn't shit is the one everything thinks is shit: the twin turbo inline six. It has a bunch of common and cheap to fix quirks but is more or less bullet proof.

Anyhow, I digress. Burn it to the ground. The cost of lawyers fees from your insurance fraud case and lost wages from the time you spend in prison will still be less than having to maintain that pile.
N20GT and deviantlx like this.
Mike K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
DanJoy's Avatar
Bruh
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aurora
Posts: 28,127
Bruh
 
DanJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aurora
Posts: 28,127
Casino cash: $2147483647
6.29 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel View Post
Ugh, I need to do something similar to a 1.8T that possibly jumped timing while low on oil. I have replaced motors in japanese cars no issue. Get to this motherfucker and almost none of my existing tools work on it, because german.
I havenít dug too deep in the motor, but what donít you have besides triple squares?
DanJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #14
N20GT's Avatar
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 46,648
Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
 
N20GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crown point, IN
Posts: 46,648
Casino cash: $142836389
9.85 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
Used Audis are why all German cars have horrible depreciation. Oh hell, for that matter, even my beloved BMWs are pretty horrible. The M motors are shit, the twin turbo V8's are shit... Ironically the only motor that isn't shit is the one everything thinks is shit: the twin turbo inline six. It has a bunch of common and cheap to fix quirks but is more or less bullet proof.

Anyhow, I digress. Burn it to the ground. The cost of lawyers fees from your insurance fraud case and lost wages from the time you spend in prison will still be less than having to maintain that pile.
The only german vehicle i'd ever own is a turbo i6 bmw. I didn't realize there was a negative perception of that engine.
__________________
N20GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #15
EmersonHart13's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 45,689
Senior Member
 
EmersonHart13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 45,689
Casino cash: $61428000
10.34 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N20GT View Post
The only german vehicle i'd ever own is a turbo i6 bmw. I didn't realize there was a negative perception of that engine.
THIS


...or an E39M5
EmersonHart13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #16
Mike K's Avatar
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,799
Forum Sponsor
 
Mike K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,799
Casino cash: $46246708
3.08 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N20GT View Post
The only german vehicle i'd ever own is a turbo i6 bmw. I didn't realize there was a negative perception of that engine.
The N54 is famously shit according to everyone that hasn't owned one. It does have an earned reputation because of the older cars that had the bad fuel pumps and wastegate issues. Now the problems are a lot more predictable and cheap to fix. Things like injectors, spark plugs, water pumps and the occasionally walnut blasting but the engine itself is amazing. When I sold my 535 they were up to something like 700hp on the single turbo setups and doing nothing to the bottom end of the engine. I believe at that point there wasn't anyone that had destroyed a motor on horsepower alone. When you consider that these guys weren't even monitoring for knock, that's just insane. The I6 was BMW's engine. I wouldn't own one without it.
Blood on Blood and N20GT like this.
Mike K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #17
Intel's Avatar  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,744
 
Intel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,744
Casino cash: $33002525
1.32 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJoy View Post
I havenít dug too deep in the motor, but what donít you have besides triple squares?
4mm torx socket to remove the window glass was my previous wtf moment with it. Also remember left tighty/righty loosey because it is actually just a normal bolt that was put in the opposite way.



Currently the car is outside so I haven't dug into it since it got cold. My guess is I will end up having to pull the head/replace valves.
Intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
bikrboy128's Avatar
Some say.....
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wheaton
Posts: 10,613
Some say.....
 
bikrboy128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wheaton
Posts: 10,613
Casino cash: $27412645
2.40 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
Burn it. They're horrible cars. You'll fix that and something else over-engineered and made out of brittle plastic from the cheapest bidder will break, leaving you with another multi-thousand dollar repair bill. Audis are the worst. Here's what you're working with:



And people wonder why I think IC engines are dead.
to me this setup wouldnt be so insane if it wasn't on the back side of the engine. which means engine removal to service cheap shitty failed plastic.
EmersonHart13 likes this.
bikrboy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
Mike K's Avatar
Forum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,799
Forum Sponsor
 
Mike K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,799
Casino cash: $46246708
3.08 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikrboy128 View Post
to me this setup wouldnt be so insane if it wasn't on the back side of the engine. which means engine removal to service cheap shitty failed plastic.
OMG, is it on the back side of the engine. WTF. I had no idea. On the A8's it was on the front which still sucked because you had to remove the front clip of the car to replace the timing belt.

Other Audi gems... Replacement of an oxygen sensor on the W12 A8. Step 1: Remove engine.
Mike K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #20
bikrboy128's Avatar
Some say.....
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wheaton
Posts: 10,613
Some say.....
 
bikrboy128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wheaton
Posts: 10,613
Casino cash: $27412645
2.40 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
OMG, is it on the back side of the engine. WTF. I had no idea. On the A8's it was on the front which still sucked because you had to remove the front clip of the car to replace the timing belt.

Other Audi gems... Replacement of an oxygen sensor on the W12 A8. Step 1: Remove engine.
i think audi wrote the book on ass-backwards engineering
SaturdaysGS likes this.
bikrboy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #21
smug's Avatar
Please go back to eating crayons
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cedar Lake, IN
Posts: 7,063
Please go back to eating crayons
 
smug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cedar Lake, IN
Posts: 7,063
Casino cash: $15983965
1.60 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikrboy128 View Post
i think audi wrote the book on ass-backwards engineering
But, its an Audi. Nice car!
I hate Audi and VW.
bikrboy128 likes this.
__________________
2015 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 Navi
Lowered on 20's
Kick ass stereo
smug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts