Truck help, avalanche??

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
So second gen , good, no body cladding!

Drivetrain should be good, rust is your enemy if you buy one up here. I don’t know if any TCG people have one but plenty of guys have that generation go truck or suv with similar parts, frame or drivetrain that can chime in.
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] [MENTION=2449]ilikemtb999[/MENTION]

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Should be like any other gm truck since 99. I’m not sure how different half ton gm900’s are to 3/4 tons :dunno:

Looks like they had the 4l60e 07-08 and the 6l80 after that. 4l60 isn’t the stoutest trans but they’re cheap to replace and seem to do decently if not abused and taken care of.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Got an 07 Tahoe. Runs and drives phenomenal. Just replaced a fuel pump, lines and upper/lower ball joints. The fuel pump still worked but the lines coming off it rusted through, same with a piece of the fuel line by the drivers door. Besides brakes, battery, front bearings, (typical wear items) it’s been a great truck to own. The gauge cluster went out but that was 150$ fixed for life. Those 2 winters we had a few years ago is when the issues associated with rust started popping up.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Personally, I find the Avalanche less useful than the Suburban, unless you plan on carrying a lot of tall objects that require an open area in back. The payload area is a little bit narrower than a regular pickup. So if you're needing the cargo area for wider things, this may not be the ticket.

The mid-gate is a nice, but kinda a novelty thing personally. And I recall on first gens, some people having sealing issues when putting it back in place. Not sure if those types of things were fixed by the second gens as I was out of service by then. I've looked at 1st gen GMT800's because in 3/4-ton, you can get the 8.1 Big Block. But I keep running into the issue that on weekends, I usually have both kids and a big 100lb dog with me, and an Avalanche isn't the most suitable for all that. It'd be fine in the nice months, but come winter... In the Suburban, the kids get the 2nd row, and he's got plenty of room in the cargo area. But that's my usage, so...

Otherwise, it is a 1/2-ton GMT900 truck. Same engines, drivetrains, suspension, etc, as other GMT900 1/2-ton trucks. They're all stout GM GenIV small blocks, the same as generation of engines as the LS2's and LS7's. These three 5.3's DO NOT have Displacement on Demand (called "Active Fuel Management" or AFM, in GM speak), which was known to have high oil consumption due to the lifters and their actuation of the DOD feature. There WAS a 6.0L V8 available also, RPO L76... I.E. the same engine from the G8's. This one DOES have AFM/DOD and has had issues with high oil consumption due to that AFM/DOD.

The trans is a 4L60/65E. Not the strongest in the tool shop, but as long as you don't start modding the shit out the truck, removing torque management, increasing line pressure, shift points, etc, etc, it should last with regular maintenance.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Personally, I find the Avalanche less useful than the Suburban, unless you plan on carrying a lot of tall objects that require an open area in back. The payload area is a little bit narrower than a regular pickup. So if you're needing the cargo area for wider things, this may not be the ticket.

The mid-gate is a nice, but kinda a novelty thing personally. And I recall on first gens, some people having sealing issues when putting it back in place. Not sure if those types of things were fixed by the second gens as I was out of service by then. I've looked at 1st gen GMT800's because in 3/4-ton, you can get the 8.1 Big Block. But I keep running into the issue that on weekends, I usually have both kids and a big 100lb dog with me, and an Avalanche isn't the most suitable for all that. It'd be fine in the nice months, but come winter... In the Suburban, the kids get the 2nd row, and he's got plenty of room in the cargo area. But that's my usage, so...

Otherwise, it is a 1/2-ton GMT900 truck. Same engines, drivetrains, suspension, etc, as other GMT900 1/2-ton trucks. They're all stout GM GenIV small blocks, the same as generation of engines as the LS2's and LS7's. These three 5.3's DO NOT have Displacement on Demand (called "Active Fuel Management" or AFM, in GM speak), which was known to have high oil consumption due to the lifters and their actuation of the DOD feature. There WAS a 6.0L V8 available also, RPO L76... I.E. the same engine from the G8's. This one DOES have AFM/DOD and has had issues with high oil consumption due to that AFM/DOD.

The trans is a 4L60/65E. Not the strongest in the tool shop, but as long as you don't start modding the shit out the truck, removing torque management, increasing line pressure, etc, etc, it should last with regular maintenance.

gmt900s eventually went to 6 speeds.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Well since someone else started it... BURB FTW

Who dat be? :D

weird, i never noticed anything like that with my 07 sierra or 01 burban.

Yea, not sure what sealing issues Wolfe has had on normal doors and windows. I just remember some 1st gen Avy owners having sealing issues after reinstallation of the mid-gate. Of course, it could've been owner too... :D

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Avalanche’s share suspension under-pinnings with the Suburban (suspension setup wise Vs the half ton pickups).

An comparable half ton avalanche will ride much smoother than a F-150, but won’t have quite the tow/hauling ratings.

They also seem to take a much harder resale value hit than the pickups, making them a better value used normally.

Edit*

And yea, unless you NEED the bed, just buy a Burb.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info