Heidts' 4th gen F-Body IRS (photo/video)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'd really love to drive one of these with the Heidts IRS conversion. Honestly, I've gone through my TA's suspension with Koni yellows, Strano springs, Strano sways, double adjustable LCAs, handling torque arm and more, and think it's a pretty stout package for bolt-ons and stock-style 10-bolt. Surprisingly predictable on rough on/off-ramps, though it took some shock tuning to get there - when the rears were stiffer, it would bounce and oversteer all over the place. Driving something like a 5th Gen 1LE Camaro back to back with a Mustang Boss 302 made it clear where the IRS has its advantage in planted-ness and predictability, but I'm unsure if that would translate as simply an add-on to an existing platform. And, well, $5,400 is now a ridiculous amount of money to spend on one of these cars - until it gets to Terminator levels of gold collectibility, however.

IRC-401-K.jpg

1993-2002 CAMARO & FIREBIRD IRS - HEIDTS

Here's the installation guide. Definitely not bolt-in.

http://www.heidts.com/wp-content/uploads/IN-229.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4XSOI70Eak

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If the install were that involved for my fox body I wouldn't have done it. Plus it's cheaper to find a used IRS to bolt in than an entirely new kit.

I've heard rumors that Heidts is now doing the tubular rear control arms for Kenny Brown on the termi IRS since KB was having issues with their fabrication originally....

49520_installed.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
If the install were that involved for my fox body I wouldn't have done it. Plus it's cheaper to find a used IRS to bolt in than an entirely new kit.

I've heard rumors that Heidts is now doing the tubular rear control arms for Kenny Brown on the termi IRS since KB was having issues with their fabrication originally....

49520_installed.jpg

How did the driving characteristics change when you went IRS?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Modding a car versus it's value never works out. It's always a losing proposition. But yet we still mod cars all the time. If you think this is a better route than a newer car then do it.

If you don't plan to sell the car anytime soon what does the value of the car matter. It should be more about money spent versus the amount of enjoyment gained.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Looks like they took my advice from earlier this year. The 3rd gen variation requires dumping the exhaust before the rear end.

I told them this year at thirdgen expo to think about allowing the exhaust under the center section and out the back.

Looks like they finally did it

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Looks like they took my advice from earlier this year. The 3rd gen variation requires dumping the exhaust before the rear end.

I told them this year at thirdgen expo to think about allowing the exhaust under the center section and out the back.

Looks like they finally did it

Yeah. I mentioned that to them the first year. The no rear exhaust is a bummer. Not that I’m gonna drop 10k on an IRS swap for my GTA.

I’d sooner move to a c5z.

Most guys who want an IRS in a f-body drop a c4 irs in there. It goes right in for the most part. But there is fab work to be done.

You can fairly easily put a c4 front suspension on a third gen too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info