Advice on hoist and stand

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I'm undertaking a project and I will need a hoist and at least one stand. There's a decent amount of room in the bay and I'll be taking it out from the top (no lift). They don't need to be super duper beastly or super tall/long as it's only an old iron Volvo I4 (may be paired with a regular Volvo auto on the way out, may have to go back in with the 4L80E attached, not sure whether they'll be separate or together for either removal or installation), but since I heard all sorts of horror stories about bad equipment and had to deal with broke ass sketchy hoists at the auto hobby shop last time I used one, I was hoping you guys would be able to steer me in the right direction for stuff that doesn't tend to cause safety concerns and should hold up well, I think I'd want one with a leveler? I guess I'm also open to suggestions for stands which would allow for some room underneath for a long period of time.

Thanks in advance!

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Yeah I had been looking at those exact ones, just wasn't sure if they fell under the good HF stuff umbrella or the bad HF stuff umbrella. Is there a benefit to having four casters on the stand as opposed to three? I've seen designs with three and was wondering if there could be a stability issue there but wasn't sure.

I'll probably be grabbing another jack and a few more jack stands so it'll still dent the wallet a bit but considering what the devices are meant to do, that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Are there random 20% coupons floating around or something?

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
I personally have 2 of the fold out leg versions of the engine stand, it's the cheapest I personally would feel like going supporting an engine.

The hoist, I've had the same engine hoist for 10 years now, it was the first big piece of equipment I bought back in 07 from pepboys. Big red is the brand. I'm sure HF isn't that far behind in quality.

Just words of advice, if you're new to this or it's your first big project, keep your hands clear of the engine while it's in the bay, and always try and think ahead (if this engine falls, where it's going to land). Keep people and yourself clear of the engine until it's on the ground or low to the ground again

You'll also need an engine leveler

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
My advice on the hoist is a decent HF jobbie, I don't know if you can get one that isn't that kind without spending a fortune or that many people buy them if they do. That said, I wouldn't buy one I'd just find someone with one to borrow. Put word out, they're around. Hell if you're willing to come do a drop off/delivery you can come grab mine for a few months. Or keep an eye for one on CL if you're not desparate I've seen em at $100 before.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I personally have 2 of the fold out leg versions of the engine stand, it's the cheapest I personally would feel like going supporting an engine.

The hoist, I've had the same engine hoist for 10 years now, it was the first big piece of equipment I bought back in 07 from pepboys. Big red is the brand. I'm sure HF isn't that far behind in quality.

Just words of advice, if you're new to this or it's your first big project, keep your hands clear of the engine while it's in the bay, and always try and think ahead (if this engine falls, where it's going to land). Keep people and yourself clear of the engine until it's on the ground or low to the ground again

Yup thanks for the advice. This should have more room and is way lighter than the last project (402 into A body GTO), and I should have more room to maneuver in the bay, so hopefully it goes without issue. I'm sure it'll be way less scary this time especially as the equipment will be in way better condition than what we used back then.

Wasn't sure if the leveler was "needed" as I haven't done an inline removal/installation, but I figured it probably would be. I guess it only makes sense....

I won't be using the hoist much, one time to remove the engine and hopefully only one time to put it back, during this project that may take years, so it doesn't need to be pro caliber really. Hopefully there will be other projects too but I don't anticipate heavy use out of the thing, and I don't anticipate exceedingly large iron engines along the way either.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
I have had my 2ton Larin engine hoist and stand (which is nothing special) for 10+ years and have pulled ton's of Bigblocks and Smallblocks over the years with transmission's attached without a single issue. I also barrowed it out a bunch to friend's. I have their leveler as well, though I rarely ever use the leveler it does come in handy in certain situations.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

An engine leveler is helpful, but not always required. Done plenty without it, its just easier when you have one. Otherwise you can do similar things with chain and bolts.

You can do it! Just remember if the Trans is still attached, its much better to have two people.

8649972101_fcc4e412f4_o.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info