Talk about a REALLY bad day to race at the Nurburgring

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Based on the vids I've seen the ring looks like a ridiculously unsafe track to be on. Bikes on the track with cars, fast exotic cars on the track with vans (which I'll never understand), and not a corner worker in sight. Seems like a total free for all

It is considered a road not a track.

"The Nordschleife is a toll road open to the public. It’s closed only during testing events and races. A lap costs 23 euros (about $35). What you really didn’t know: German road regulations apply—there are some posted speed limits, and you can’t pass on the right."

EDIT: Also, the cost of having workers on most of the 170 corners would be insane.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Based on the vids I've seen the ring looks like a ridiculously unsafe track to be on. Bikes on the track with cars, fast exotic cars on the track with vans (which I'll never understand), and not a corner worker in sight. Seems like a total free for all

note this guy himself is in a caged gutted car with no helmet; they are not required. neither is any type of driving instruction nor is any really given to you, you just show up and go on. on top of all that, of course, is that it's an extremely challenging course.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It is considered a road not a track.

"The Nordschleife is a toll road open to the public. It’s closed only during testing events and races. A lap costs 23 euros (about $35). What you really didn’t know: German road regulations apply—there are some posted speed limits, and you can’t pass on the right."

EDIT: Also, the cost of having workers on most of the 170 corners would be insane.

Damn, i didn't know that. Sure as hell isnt a road I would want to be on on a busy day, lol

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Damn, i didn't know that. Sure as hell isnt a road I would want to be on on a busy day, lol

i think there's like, some final straight speed limit? not sure how well it is enforced.

passing and faster traffic on the left. if you pass on the right, or don't notice a car coming up and go left to apex a turn but end up cutting someone off, german police are there and may very well find you at fault.

also that quote makes it sound like the "road" is open all the time, it's not, you need to plan around visiting in when it's actually open.

So I take it. The auto bahn is like this too? But it’s a straight highway

the autobahn is just the highway.

on sections there are speed limits, on more wide open ones there's no limit. was 2-3 lanes wide everywhere i drove. but it's driven on by germans, so 3 lanes there, you probably have the throughput of 5 lanes of american idiots. i drove over the entire country and not once was there a left lane camper. as an experiment, i tried being the left lane camper, to see what other people would do. i ended the experiment quickly as it made me feel like an asshole and there was swift and immediate social pressure to move the fuck over

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
note this guy himself is in a caged gutted car with no helmet; they are not required. neither is any type of driving instruction nor is any really given to you, you just show up and go on. on top of all that, of course, is that it's an extremely challenging course.

Uh, the camera this is filmed on is a helmet mounted camera and you can see the front padding of the helmet and the visor, lol

I've actually driven the Nurburgring (4 laps in a track prepped BMW 1 series). It's really not as bad as this video makes it seem. The initial wreck here obviously took place right after a blind sweeper that cars carry A LOT of speed into. I only saw one wreck in my time on track and it was very obvious what was going on/ and I had plenty of time to slow down/stop. (E36 M3 went into guardrail)

The inexperienced people on the track are almost always driving VERY cautiously because you are responsible for any damage you do to the track and any rescue/recovery efforts that are provided for you. The average bill for a wreck on the Ring (not including damage to the car you're driving) is around $6K.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Uh, the camera this is filmed on is a helmet mounted camera and you can see the front padding of the helmet and the visor, lol

oh yes you are right, derpy me. it is amazing nonetheless that helmets are not required.

I've actually driven the Nurburgring (4 laps in a track prepped BMW 1 series). It's really not as bad as this video makes it seem. The initial wreck here obviously took place right after a blind sweeper that cars carry A LOT of speed into. I only saw one wreck in my time on track and it was very obvious what was going on/ and I had plenty of time to slow down/stop. (E36 M3 went into guardrail)

The inexperienced people on the track are almost always driving VERY cautiously because you are responsible for any damage you do to the track and any rescue/recovery efforts that are provided for you. The average bill for a wreck on the Ring (not including damage to the car you're driving) is around $6K.

i think the deductible i was responsible on the swift my friend and i rented was at least 3000 euros. definitely not interested in mucking anything up...

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
oh yes you are right, derpy me. it is amazing nonetheless that helmets are not required.

i think the deductible i was responsible on the swift my friend and i rented was at least 3000 euros. definitely not interested in mucking anything up...

I agree. It is kinda crazy that they don't require helmets.

Did you rent the swift from Rent4Ring? That's where I got the BMW.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I agree. It is kinda crazy that they don't require helmets.

Did you rent the swift from Rent4Ring? That's where I got the BMW.

yes indeed

_2788103.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info