E85------when does E85 become E70 and back?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It depends on the station and what level of ethanol they have still but usually it's around early November I start to see winter blend roll in. If you are tuning for ethanol try to tune for 85% summer blend. This way when 70% ethanol comes in and if you don't have a flex fuel system it will make you run slightly richer because you are commanding a higher percentage of ethanol which has a lower stoich afr.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Shut up, Will.

giphy.gif

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
It depends on the station and what level of ethanol they have still but usually it's around early November I start to see winter blend roll in. If you are tuning for ethanol try to tune for 85% summer blend. This way when 70% ethanol comes in and if you don't have a flex fuel system it will make you run slightly richer because you are commanding a higher percentage of ethanol which has a lower stoich afr.

Even if you don't have a flex fuel system, the ECM should be able to handle a 15% swing in ethanol and still run at stoichiometric. (Many cars were calibrated for E0, but can easily handle E15 or higher before the LTFTs drift too far).

But at WOT open loop, they will run richer, but also have less octane, so you still need to watch you knock retard closely.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Even if you don't have a flex fuel system, the ECM should be able to handle a 15% swing in ethanol and still run at stoichiometric. (Many cars were calibrated for E0, but can easily handle E15 or higher before the LTFTs drift too far).

But at WOT open loop, they will run richer, but also have less octane, so you still need to watch you knock retard closely.

True but most stock tunes are conservative on afr and timing making that swing a little more wide while being plenty safe.

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
Yea, the flex tunes are dialed in on Diablo software for our cars yet.....some shops have had great success with HP tuners with it. I'm not changing any pulley setup, just want to run E85 and extra 50-60rwhp if wanted.

What gauge do you guys use to monitor. If I did go this route, I don't want to pull a damn testing kit out at a station.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info